IT BEGINS!

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Post Reply
Duquette5
Chief Steward
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:19 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 19
Location: Central Massachusetts

IT BEGINS!

Post by Duquette5 » Thu May 24, 2018 1:50 pm

Picked up the :mac19: from the fiberglass shop and am dropping it off this weekend for the motor install. Before I drop it off I am going to spend this evening pulling new wiring, replacing the old corroded fuse panel, adding dual batteries, a bilge pump and battery switch with a separate charging relay circuit. Going to be a busy but fulfilling evening and hope to have it all done by EOD tomorrow. If anyone in Central Mass needs a fiberglass guy I highly recommend Fran's Fiberglass in Uxbridge.

User avatar
sailboatmike
Admiral
Posts: 1599
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:17 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Australia

Re: IT BEGINS!

Post by sailboatmike » Thu May 24, 2018 5:09 pm

Duquette5 wrote:Picked up the :mac19: from the fiberglass shop and am dropping it off this weekend for the motor install. Before I drop it off I am going to spend this evening pulling new wiring, replacing the old corroded fuse panel, adding dual batteries, a bilge pump and battery switch with a separate charging relay circuit. Going to be a busy but fulfilling evening and hope to have it all done by EOD tomorrow. If anyone in Central Mass needs a fiberglass guy I highly recommend Fran's Fiberglass in Uxbridge.

Good luck with that, I would put that down as the best part of a weeks work, but I generally work in a boat yard and there are way too many distractions, I still have not finished rewiring a job I started last winter, when I got into it I ended up spending 3 days pulling out old unused wires that had just been cut and left. Will get back to it this winter I have a new switch panel and GPS plotter to install just for a start, plus moving the whole electrics setup to fit the double burner Orego , the single burner is great but can't make a cuppa while cooking

User avatar
Highlander
Admiral
Posts: 5300
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:25 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '
Contact:

Re: IT BEGINS!

Post by Highlander » Thu May 24, 2018 7:41 pm

Duquette5 wrote:Picked up the :mac19: from the fiberglass shop and am dropping it off this weekend for the motor install. Before I drop it off I am going to spend this evening pulling new wiring, replacing the old corroded fuse panel, adding dual batteries, a bilge pump and battery switch with a separate charging relay circuit. Going to be a busy but fulfilling evening and hope to have it all done by EOD tomorrow. If anyone in Central Mass needs a fiberglass guy I highly recommend Fran's Fiberglass in Uxbridge.
:D :D :D :D U obviously have never ever worked on a :mac19: I owned one for 4 yrs I put two small bilge pumps in mine because of the bilge configuration I,d say u got about 10 days of work ahead of u if u plan on doing a good clean & proper install I think I ran about 3 miles of wiring thro my :mac19: :P so I know what u r up against lol, remember these mods have to b well thought out & planned cause u don,t want to b saying next yr "what If I,d done ! " :?

J :wink:

Duquette5
Chief Steward
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:19 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 19
Location: Central Massachusetts

Re: IT BEGINS!

Post by Duquette5 » Sat May 26, 2018 10:31 pm

Ufff It wont take me 10 days but I am stalled waiting on a few items to be shipped. I replaced all the factory wiring with Marine 14/2 and added a couple of extra runs as well. Went ahead and ordered new bow, stern and masthead lights. I removed the old factory cabin lights and ordered red/white LED strip lights (I might be out of the Navy but my boats will always have proper "night" lights). The new fuse panel, buss bar, battery switch and charge relay are all installed. I think the toughest part so far was pulling the new battery wiring for the starting battery from the stern up towards the bow. I think so far I'm at about 10 hours of work and what I have left is probably 2 hours maybe 3 hours.

I tend to get carried away with mods and "upgrades" as such I'm approaching everything I do on the 19 as functional improvement well preparing for a 26,

User avatar
Highlander
Admiral
Posts: 5300
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:25 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '
Contact:

Re: IT BEGINS!

Post by Highlander » Sun May 27, 2018 1:43 pm

Well good for U , glad to hear it,s all going good for u , I have parts on order from Thailand & Denmark since Mid Dec. & just arrived on Fri by Ship, I think that,s what yer call "The slow boat from China " :(

So hopefully I can get back at it by the first wk of Jun.

J 8)

User avatar
sailboatmike
Admiral
Posts: 1599
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:17 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Australia

Re: IT BEGINS!

Post by sailboatmike » Sun May 27, 2018 3:56 pm

Duquette5 wrote:Ufff It wont take me 10 days but I am stalled waiting on a few items to be shipped. I replaced all the factory wiring with Marine 14/2 and added a couple of extra runs as well. Went ahead and ordered new bow, stern and masthead lights. I removed the old factory cabin lights and ordered red/white LED strip lights (I might be out of the Navy but my boats will always have proper "night" lights). The new fuse panel, buss bar, battery switch and charge relay are all installed. I think the toughest part so far was pulling the new battery wiring for the starting battery from the stern up towards the bow. I think so far I'm at about 10 hours of work and what I have left is probably 2 hours maybe 3 hours.

I tend to get carried away with mods and "upgrades" as such I'm approaching everything I do on the 19 as functional improvement well preparing for a 26,
You can do all that in 10 hours!!! Wow impressive, you could hire yourself out to rewire Macs you would make a fortune and have a heap of happy customers, it took me 3 hours on Saturday just to plan the installation of my new plotter, work out wiring routes, remove the old compass on top of the pedestal (find some idiot had cut out a 3 5/8" (90mm) hole in the top of it) and work out how I was going to fill said hole.

User avatar
Highlander
Admiral
Posts: 5300
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:25 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '
Contact:

Re: IT BEGINS!

Post by Highlander » Sun May 27, 2018 9:44 pm

A $3 white cutting board from the Dollar Store will fix that in a Jiffy :P

J :wink:

User avatar
sailboatmike
Admiral
Posts: 1599
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:17 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Australia

Re: IT BEGINS!

Post by sailboatmike » Mon May 28, 2018 3:04 am

Highlander wrote:A $3 white cutting board from the Dollar Store will fix that in a Jiffy :P

J :wink:
But, But, But, its the dollar store NOT the $3 store, I refuse to buy one just on ethical grounds, if its a dollar store then everything is supposed to be a dollar :P

Duquette5
Chief Steward
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:19 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 19
Location: Central Massachusetts

Re: IT BEGINS!

Post by Duquette5 » Mon May 28, 2018 9:31 pm

sailboatmike wrote:
Duquette5 wrote:Ufff It wont take me 10 days but I am stalled waiting on a few items to be shipped. I replaced all the factory wiring with Marine 14/2 and added a couple of extra runs as well. Went ahead and ordered new bow, stern and masthead lights. I removed the old factory cabin lights and ordered red/white LED strip lights (I might be out of the Navy but my boats will always have proper "night" lights). The new fuse panel, buss bar, battery switch and charge relay are all installed. I think the toughest part so far was pulling the new battery wiring for the starting battery from the stern up towards the bow. I think so far I'm at about 10 hours of work and what I have left is probably 2 hours maybe 3 hours.

I tend to get carried away with mods and "upgrades" as such I'm approaching everything I do on the 19 as functional improvement well preparing for a 26,
You can do all that in 10 hours!!! Wow impressive, you could hire yourself out to rewire Macs you would make a fortune and have a heap of happy customers, it took me 3 hours on Saturday just to plan the installation of my new plotter, work out wiring routes, remove the old compass on top of the pedestal (find some idiot had cut out a 3 5/8" (90mm) hole in the top of it) and work out how I was going to fill said hole.
Well it's all in the prep and planning. In my "spare" time I race and restore vintage Porsche's. Spare time being the operative phrase. I have learned how to get all my planning in place so when it comes time for execution it should be easy peasy. Should be.... but not always the case.

User avatar
sailboatmike
Admiral
Posts: 1599
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:17 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Australia

Re: IT BEGINS!

Post by sailboatmike » Tue May 29, 2018 1:57 am

Duquette5 wrote:Well it's all in the prep and planning. In my "spare" time I race and restore vintage Porsche's. Spare time being the operative phrase. I have learned how to get all my planning in place so when it comes time for execution it should be easy peasy. Should be.... but not always the case.
I know a bloke that does that, hand makes and panel beats many of his own parts that are no longer available, apparently his hand made parts are so good that he sells them all over the world now.

Post Reply