26m Docking advice and suggested reference videos?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Ponaldpe
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: 26m Docking advice and suggested reference videos?

Post by Ponaldpe » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:34 am

dlandersson wrote:One thing I haven't seen mentioned, put a cleat amidships on the side you expect to be your "slip side.

When approaching, have a line on the cleat and (I under a boathook pole) pass a loop around a slip post, stancheon, etc, then simply draw it tight as a temp. measure, after which you connect all your fore and aft lines. Works very nicely. 8)
MaritimeMenace wrote:Hi guys, I finally got launched and am at a local lake marina ( :macm: ). I’m absolutely new to boating (not including sailing classes at OCC in Newport, CA) and have no experience docking.

Needless to say, my first docking experience was pretty embarrassing!

Any tips for docking or links to good youtube videos or other reference material greatly appreciated!

- ALLEN

:macm:

I ues something like this, and do single hand all the time. this loop makes it much easier , for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YSn3qR_FQw

Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Sumner » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:56 am

dlandersson wrote:One thing I haven't seen mentioned, put a cleat amidships on the side you expect to be your "slip side.

When approaching, have a line on the cleat and (I under a boathook pole) pass a loop around a slip post, stancheon, etc, then simply draw it tight as a temp. measure, after which you connect all your fore and aft lines. Works very nicely. 8) ...
This is the best solution yet. Once we put in mid-ship cleats and use them to dock with things got much easier.

A line at the bow pulls the bow into the dock. One at the stern pulls it in. One mid-ship pulls the boat in sideways and parallel to the dock and works to do that if you still have forward or aft speed. No more running the bow or stern into something :) .

Also if you dock with tides the mid-ship cleat is useful for running spring lines fore and aft to deal with the tide.

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner ... de-17.html

I installed them on both sides and also use them to tie the inflatable to while at anchor.

Also look up using spring lines for docking. Here is one link to get you started ...

https://www.boatus.com/magazine/2013/Fe ... -lines.asp

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

MaritimeMenace
Deckhand

Post by MaritimeMenace » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:39 am

LOTS of great tips guys, totally appreciated! It's going to take me a while to go through everything thoroughly.

When you guys are saying Mid-Ship Cleats, are you talking about adding another cleat to your deck?

I had bought a video of a guy docking with spring lines, and was trying to do a similar thing. But I was tying my 'mid-ship' docking line to the stanchion near the the mast on my 26m :macm:

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:59 pm

You can get a cleat that fits your jib sheet car track. I've never bothered, as they're a little expensive.

Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Sumner » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:00 pm

MaritimeMenace wrote:...When you guys are saying Mid-Ship Cleats, are you talking about adding another cleat to your deck?

I had bought a video of a guy docking with spring lines, and was trying to do a similar thing. But I was tying my 'mid-ship' docking line to the stanchion near the the mast on my 26m :macm:
In my case I have an S and ....

.... it is between the winch and the stanchion in the picture above and in the same place on the starboard side. The bottom of the stanchion might work if you feel that it is strong enough but a cleat is a lot easier to deal with.

I've added cleats to coaming sides for the preventers. An extra stern cleat on the starboard side that I can also use with the dinghy and the boat has additional cleats and chocks on the bow vs. some other S's I've seen and added a number of cleats to the mast 8) ,

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:27 pm

The best advice I can give is

Approach slowly, rule of thumb is no faster speed than you are prepared to hit the dock at, these things have plenty of weight so the momentum will keep you moving for a LOOOOOONG way, my motor is normally in neutral at around 50m (55 yards) from the dock if I'm doing 5knots, this also gives you time to assess the way the tide and wind will effect the boat and let you come up with a plan B (always have a plan B) depending on other boats and local conditions etc.

Its always easier to give a blip on the throttle than reduce speed in a hurry, remember props are designed to be efficient pushing forward not backwards.

Have your lines clear and ready, we do this at around 50m because we can't really see our dock until we come around a corner, so we are never sure if its a port or starboard docking until we clear the corner.

Have someone on the bow is possible calling distances, you can't see very well from the helm and docks have a sneaky way of jumping in front of the boat just when you don't expect it.

Get the stern line on first, if you have the stern line on and have a wrap around the bollard then a bit of forward power will push the bow in.

And of course NEVER FORGET, the chances of you messing up and looking silly is directly proportional to the number of people watching, it took us a while to work these out but its a great feeling when you cruise into a dock and make it look easy then casually get off the boat making it look like thats just the normal thing, of course all the while giving yourself BIG HIGH FIVES in you mind, thinking wow we nailed that one.

One last thing. Never blame the crew, you are the skipper, even if they bugger up its your responsibility, if they bugger up take the time to have a passive chat about how it could of been done better, maybe you might learn something from the difficulties they had doing their job, congratulate them if they do it well, YOU DON'T want a hostile crew

Wayne nicol
Captain
Location: Queen CHarlotte Islands,B.C.---------------- lightning white 2012 26M "Merrylegs"

Post by Wayne nicol » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:01 pm

great advice by mike!!
no time for a mutiny at the dock :D :D

Baha
First Officer

Post by Baha » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:52 am

If using a finger dock, a bow fender Helps minimize stress. Also, if things are not going well, move out well clear, breathe, and make a plan before coming back in. The silliest mistakes I have made are when I try to fix a bad docking attempt on the fly.

Estate Sail
Deckhand

Post by Estate Sail » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:38 am

My advice is to enroll in the ASA (american sailing association) Docking course. The best course I have taken from them. You will spend 2 days on a boat without leaving the marina. It will be two days of non stop docking under various conditions. Spend the money. It is worth it.

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:25 am

You came to the right place and created a perfect name for your thread.

Yes, these boats are a challenge. Don't feel bad.

--Russ
Last edited by RussMT on Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaritimeMenace
Deckhand

Post by MaritimeMenace » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:07 pm

Excellent suggestion! I did a quick search, and it looks like the course is $45. BUT, they're listing it as a 2-hour course.

I also just got the ASA book, ''Docking Techniques (for single engine boats) - by Tom Tursi' on eBay for $12 shipped!

- ALLEN

Estate Sail wrote:My advice is to enroll in the ASA (american sailing association) Docking course. The best course I have taken from them. You will spend 2 days on a boat without leaving the marina. It will be two days of non stop docking under various conditions. Spend the money. It is worth it.

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:33 pm

If your unsure about handling the boat especially in tight or difficult situations I recommend have a look at some of these.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ring+lines

Understanding "spring lines" gives you a whole new scope for getting in and out of difficult spots when the wind, tide, other boats or sometimes a combination of all the above make your life more difficult than it needs to be.

I would say 8 out of 10 times out we use a spring line for some part of boat handling during the day.

Baha
First Officer

Post by Baha » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:36 am

MaritimeMenace
Deckhand

Post by MaritimeMenace » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:30 am

Great video! hahahahaha

MaritimeMenace
Deckhand

Post by MaritimeMenace » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:38 am

The second time docking yesterday was A LOT better. This time I had a friend on the bow with a docking pole slow me down that last 'little bit'.

From the cockpit I 'lassoed' the end-finger cleat while my friend tied off the front of the boat.

I'm docking bow first, mostly because I want to have a nice lake view while I sit in the cockpit.

Lassoing the first cleat with the spring line is difficult, because my particular dock fingers are so damn short. They barely make it to the cockpit when the boat is in bow first.