PAY-PAL ALERT

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

PAY-PAL ALERT

Post by Highlander » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:32 am

Hi All
FYI On Mon. I bought a bar sink from Home Depot on -line & paid for it with my pay-pal account charged to my Visa card , on Fri. evening I went out to dinner my visa card was declined , so paid with another card went home & went onto online banking to check out my Visa Card account in four days it had been maxed out to the amount of 12 Boat Bucks for educational products . called my bank Visa ph. # to check out what the heck was going on, I told them about the charges showing on my account , they asked me if I had purchased computer educational programming courses & paid thro my Pay Pal Account I said no . so they canceled my Visa card & will b issuing me a new one & their security people will b checking out how they breached the system . in the meantime tomorrow I will b notifying Pay-Pal that my account has been breached "Hacked" .
The Bank is going to cover the loss as I have a three system security alert in place which is suppose to notify me of any purchase above a certain amount which requires me to give three codes , so they r really concerned , I,ll keep u all posted but I,m thinkin I ain,t gonna get any explanation any time soon as I think this is not something they want everyone to hear about !

J :evil:
PS I,ll also b notifying Home Depot !

sailboatmike
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: PAY-PAL ALERT

Post by sailboatmike » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:56 am

I just had an issue with PayPal and I must say there support (once you find their help phone number) was excellent, mine as being charged for something 4 times, while it took a couple of weeks to clean up PayPal staff were great and kept me informed each step of the way.

Be careful if you use auto login, my son decided he would buy a heap of game credits and spent $100 of my hard earned, lesson learnt, no auto login anymore, it was just me being lazy.

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:26 pm

Up-date
Checked my Pay-pal account it was fine no un-authorized purchases but it was right after I used it on Pay-Pal to pay for my Home depot purchase that my Visa card account was hacked . so waiting to find out if my info was stolen from Pay-Pal , Home Depot or the bank ? The Bank security was concerned as to how my three system code for my card was breached as they r the only ones beside myself who have that info & why I was not notified . the plot thickens ?

J 8)

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:02 pm

Keep us posted on what you find if you don't mind, John. This is a new one, and rather disturbing. :x

Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:27 pm

Tomfoolery wrote:Keep us posted on what you find if you don't mind, John. This is a new one, and rather disturbing. :x
Yes Tom
I have a three system code basically three diff. passwords on my card for any puchase over a certain amount of $$$ & the bank admitted to me that had been breached somehow & that,s their system !
this morn I was online to my bank acc. checking out where the Visa purchases were made I was able to determine it was down in PA USA & while I was attempting to cut & paste the company code to see if it was a legit company the bank cut off my access to that Visa acc. I can,t even check my visa statement anymore but I,m thinking that,s most likely due to the fact they r doing an internal security investigation
Back in Dec I made a purchase on-line $600.00 & my same visa card got declined for that US purchase so I went online to my online banking & low & behold there was an alert from them saying all Visa purchases made in the USA over a certain amount would b declined due too excess fraud on their Visa system so I had to call the bank answer some security questions they then gave me a code & told me to call the company back directly tell them to use this one time code & my purchase would go thro my Visa card so I,m thinkin if this is a bank issue I,ll never hear about what happened because when I did in Dec I was told there was a ongoing investigation, so looks like their system has been hacked again & they did say they will b crediting new visa card with a full refund so they are absorbing the full cost of this fraud & they also never declined the card until it was 2 boat bucks over it,s limit :o any time in the past when I have made a large purchase where i went over limit they would contact me to make sure it was legit before paying so not too sure whats going on here ! In 2016 my debit card was compromised in Ontario their was a big police bust on compromised card scanners & the police notified my bank that my debit card was hacked just two days before the bust , so I had to go into the bank change my password & get a new debit card & was told not to use TAP in the like,s of fast food outlets & such . my debit card got dinged for $200. back then it came out later in the new,s that most cards got dinged for 2 or 3 boat bucks so I was lucky I guess

J

Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:21 pm

Up-Date
Pay Pal have now just notified me that since Jun/1/2018 my pay-pal account has been used to purchase gift cards until my visa card was declined & r now asking me if I authorized these purchases I,ve told them I did not & have now changed my password , these purchases do not show up on my pay-pal acc so that,s really suspicious as they always send me an E/M immediately ! & they r now just notifying me after I reported to them about my Visa info issues

J

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:33 pm

While on the subject of PayPal, I received this on Wednesday.

http://a63.tinypic.com/66gp5k.jpg

I proceeded to do as instructed, but started seeing prompts that did not seem sensible.

I contacted PayPal, and was told that this is an unauthorized site that has nothing to do with PayPal. I immediately changed my password.

Ray

opie
Captain

Post by opie » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:00 am

I want to add a suggestion to this topic. I have Paypal and use it often. I do not have my bank account or credit card linked to it. I only have "Paypal Credit" in high 3 digits which is enough for most purchases. Then I pay off bill at end of month with a one-time ccard #. If it is more expensive than my credit limit Amazon and Ebay let me enter one-time credit card.

<copied from my Paypal account today >
Need a little extra? Good news. When you check out with PayPal Credit, if you don't have enough available credit to cover your purchase, your account is instantly reviewed to see if you qualify for an increase. And if it can't be done, we'll let you know why.

Either way, it won't affect your credit report and there are no fees or penalties for trying.

If you don't qualify for an increase, we'll use one of your other linked payment methods instead. For more information please read our user agreement.

$xxx.00

Credit line