Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

paul I
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Niagara Falls, NY 2000 26X w/Honda BF50 "NoneShallPass"

26x cockpit cushions free to good home

Post by paul I » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:14 am

... or even to a bad home.

Yes, I have finally gotten new cockpit cushions to replace the original set from my :macx: . Being that I replaced them, you can assume the originals are not in the best of shape, but they also aren't terrible. You can have them for free if you are willing to either come and pick them up or pay for the shipping to get them to you. if you are interested.... read on.

This is a set of 6 cushions. There are three seat cushions and three backrest cushions. The helm seat is thicker than the others to provide height. Color is light tan/camel. The fabric is vinyl with some kind of fleece like coating on the inside. The foam is regular upholstery foam and it soaks up water like a sponge (one of the big reasons for the replacement). All have female snaps installed.

You can opt for just the covers if you like. They can probably be removed and folded down to a reasonable size and easily shipped in a single large, square box. The covers can be used as patterns to make a new set of covers (which is what I did, it didn't harm the covers at all). Or you can use the covers as is and purchase new foam to stuff into them. The covers are in good enough shape that this option is feasible. Note however that the cost of the closed cell foam to refill these is likely in the $400 - $500 range.

If you want the original foam as well, that is going to take some planning. I do have a box from the new cushions that I could fit the old bench cushions into, but not all of them will fit. Not the helm seat. Not the backs. And the shipping on this box from Florida to NY was over $80 due to the size. I can also try rolling the foam and shipping it in a box (or boxes, more realistically) that is cheaper to ship. l would not recommend using them as is with the original foam unless you have a full enclosure or something else to keep them dry. They just absorb too much water and never seem to dry out. This warning is for the seat cushions. I had a lot of luck keeping the backrests dry by wrapping the foam in plastic before putting them together. So you may want the backrest foam but not the seat foam (a very shippable option).

The easiest thing is if you simply picked them up in the Buffalo NY area, but I know that would be difficult if not impossible for many of you. But Toronto ON, Rochester NY, and Erie PA are reasonably close.

If you are interested give me a buzz.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Re: 26x cockpit cushions free to good home

Post by Tomfoolery » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:56 am

paul I wrote:The foam is regular upholstery foam and it soaks up water like a sponge (one of the big reasons for the replacement).
Yeah, I figured that out the hard way, just last year. I got lazy about putting them below when off the boat, let them get rained on a bunch, and they were fine. Until they got water logged and squished out gallons every time I parked my delicate bum on them. It took a week or two, removed from the covers, wrung out by hand, and left in the sun, to fully dry out.

My gray originals are actually in pretty good shape. Just need some snap repair. Someone repaired them in the past, by gluing a vinyl patch on the inside, but they need more work. One of these days . . . :|

paul I
First Officer

Post by paul I » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:55 am

Tomfoolery wrote:
paul I wrote:The foam is regular upholstery foam and it soaks up water like a sponge (one of the big reasons for the replacement).
Yeah, I figured that out the hard way, just last year. I got lazy about putting them below when off the boat, let them get rained on a bunch, and they were fine. Until they got water logged and squished out gallons every time I parked my delicate bum on them. It took a week or two, removed from the covers, wrung out by hand, and left in the sun, to fully dry out.

My gray originals are actually in pretty good shape. Just need some snap repair. Someone repaired them in the past, by gluing a vinyl patch on the inside, but they need more work. One of these days . . . :|
The new cushions are from Sailboat Owners.com. They are made with Sunsure fabric over 2" closed cell foam. They are very nicely made. And after several rainstorms so far, they always seem to stay bone dry. In fact I can even hose them down and get them sopping wet. Then I just tip them so the water rolls off and within 10 minutes, they are totally dry again.

The backrests I had sewn up locally. They are Sunbrella over closed cell foam. I used the old covers for the patterns.

DaveC426913
Admiral

Post by DaveC426913 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:59 pm

I am interested, but not yet committed. Let me check with the Admiral to see if they could be useful. (We do have currently functional cushions, so I'm not entirely sure what this will net us...)

I am in Toronto so you are in my backyard. (I'll be even closer when we overnight at Fifty Point on the July 1 weekend...)

P.S. My brother-in-law lives in LaSalle at 76th.

paul I
First Officer

Post by paul I » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:04 pm

DaveC426913 wrote:P.S. My brother-in-law lives in LaSalle at 76th.

Im in Wheatfield close to the Niagara Falls town line. A younger me could walk to 76th street.

If you have functional cushions, I'm not sure what you would actually be gaining either.

paul I
First Officer

Post by paul I » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:37 am

Just a bump on this. Let me know if you are interested. If there are no takers I'm probably gonna toss 'em. They are too big for me to try and store.

John McDonough
First Officer

Post by John McDonough » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:21 pm

paul I wrote:
or even to a bad home.

You can have them for free

This is a set of 6 cushions.

Not the helm seat.

, and Erie PA are reasonably close.

Paul.. You can have them for free
…..I used to sit on those seats. Someday they could be worth $200,000.00.
…...Marilynn Monroe`s cushions sold for $300,000.00,. But I could be wrong about the price.

,,, :D Maybe one of my boys may have been conceived on 1 of those cushion. (maybe) :)

But Not the helm seat.
…. That is because I still have the original in my basement. Used it for or cat`s cushion.
….I replaced it with a thicker foam. Quite a task trying to squeeze it into the original cover.

and Erie PA are reasonably close. I`ll take them.. Put a GPS tracker on them and set it drifting towards Erie PA.
.... but wait until the wind comes out of the East.

If you are interested give me a buzz. Only joking. Even if I ever build a small wooden-boat i would want new cushions.

Off topic.. looking for an Elecrtic dirt bike. There is a dealer about 20 miles north of Buffalo. Would like to check them out.
Somewhere near Niagra Falls it the Testla mueseum. Always wanted to visit

If you ever plan to travel West on Lake Erie look me up when you get to Erie Pa.
:D I know all he short cuts to get you to Toledo Ohio and Detroit Michigan.

paul I
First Officer

Post by paul I » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:05 am

John McDonough wrote:
paul I wrote:
or even to a bad home.

You can have them for free

Not the helm seat.

, and Erie PA are reasonably close.

Paul.. You can have them for free
…..I used to sit on those seats. Someday they could be worth $200,000.00.
…...Marilynn Monroe`s cushions sold for $300,000.00,. But I could be wrong about the price.

,,, :D Maybe one of my boys may have been conceived on 1 of those cushion. (maybe) :)

But Not the helm seat.
…. That is because I still have the original in my basement. Used it for or cat`s cushion.
….I replaced it with a thicker foam. Quite a task trying to squeeze it into the original cover.

and Erie PA are reasonably close. I`ll take them.. Put a GPS tracker on them and set it drifting towards Erie PA.
.... but wait until the wind comes out of the East.

If you are interested give me a buzz. Only joking. Even if I ever build a small wooden-boat i would want new cushions.

Off topic.. looking for an Elecrtic dirt bike. There is a dealer about 20 miles north of Buffalo. Would like to check them out.
Somewhere near Niagra Falls it the Testla mueseum. Always wanted to visit

If you ever plan to travel West on Lake Erie look me up when you get to Erie Pa.
:D I know all he short cuts to get you to Toledo Ohio and Detroit Michigan.
Hey John. Good to hear from you. I hope your health is good.