Antennae replacement?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Antennae replacement?

Post by dlandersson » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:48 pm

Ok, my AM/FM antennae (which I don't use anyway) is showing it's age. It splintered today. Any suggestions on where to replace it? 8)

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM ... 1FemN4MVVn

sailboatmike
Admiral

Re: Antennae replacement?

Post by sailboatmike » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:02 am

I use a Dipole antenna for Am / Fm, no holes, quick to fit and cheap.

I just run mine behind the galley along the hull, works a treat and did I mention $8Au, cheap as chips

RussMT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by RussMT » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:50 pm

Is that a am/fm antenna? Duct tape :)

I have a dipole antenna like above. Doesn't work well though. It's very directional. Came with the boat from dealer.

I bought one of these. Seems to work well. Theoretically there is a signal loss with every connector. I'm not too worried.
Kind of pricey though. I'd try the dipole first.

https://www.amazon.com/Boating-Accessor ... 1529430483

paul I
First Officer
Location: Niagara Falls, NY 2000 26X w/Honda BF50 "NoneShallPass"

Post by paul I » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:15 pm

Ya know, I considered adding a "marine" FM antenna like yours when I first got my :macx: . I wasn't sure where I'd want to place it, nor what kind of mount I would need. So, I decided to buy a cheap old school universal auto antenna to try out and experiment with first, one of those metal types about 30", or maybe 36" long, I think it was under $20 at an Auto Zone. The idea was that when I knew what location would work best, I would buy the "real" antenna. I noticed that I got great reception with it... and I mean great reception. And it didn't really matter where I placed it or how I oriented it either. Anywhere on the boat seemed to work well. I ended up just laying it horizontally in the port cavity above the rear berth. Its not even mounted to anything. Its out of sight and out of mind and there are no holes in the boat.

It still gets great reception... at least as good, if not better than what I get in my car. I think its due to being on a boat and nothing impeding a line of site to the radio transmitters.