Mac 26M Boat lift/floating dock

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair, Catigale

Divecoz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero

Re: Mac 26M Boat lift/floating dock

Post by Divecoz » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:24 pm

Yep... standard USBoats 10,0000lb lift at my seawall ..Sorry I am so late in coming into this discussion .. For what its worth.. Mary Kate would have cleaned you floating dock "tubes" you could then coat with "Black Hawk " Anti fouling paint for inflatables Made IN Ft Myers Fla. Getting barnacles off isn't that difficult IF...You dont let them dry out and get hard .. I had an issue with my 24' Seaswirl Walk-around sitting at my seawall and NOT on the lift.. Long story short .. Sailboat off lift powerboat on Lift..... Powerboat out of water high enough to scrap off barnacles till arms were tired.. ( sitting in a Kayak :x ) Got tired lowered boat back into water.. DO NOT LET Barnacles Dry and Harden! I used a Lexan Windshield Ice Scraper I had brought down to FLa. in the center console of my 4x4. BUT yours were on a float so Mary Kate to the rescue spray on .... power wash off.... Bye Bye Marine Growth.. As you see I have 2 boats and the WindWing&Song 2005 26 :macm: sits IN the water and the Power boat is in the air / on the lift.. WHY? Anti Fouling slows the sailboat negligibly.. Anti fouling on a power boats reduces MPG and the dang thing is only getting about 3.5 mpg as it is and Anti-fouling reduces MPH at any RPM..

bedouin wrote:Looks like I may be able to buy a Hyrdohoist lift 9,000 pounds. That will do it. It is 15 years old but still works. Just need to make sure the bunks fit, and it is for a v hull so that is good.

Anyone ever put their :macm: on a lift?

TIA

Matthew

Brian
Chief Steward
Location: Austin, TX 2006 26M "Soñador" white hull MACM0852G506 TLDI 90

Post by Brian » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:42 pm

I have been using a 6000# Galva-Lift floating boat lift since 2001. My Mac has been on it since I purchased it new in August of 2005. My previous boat was stored on the lift for four years before that. It has the standard two bow to stern 2" x 6" boards which are parallel and placed about 38" apart. The lift has been great. Way cheaper than bottom paint, and as Dive mentioned bottom paint does slow you down.

One thing that you should be aware of though. The older boat lifts used galvanized steel tanks which rust out after about 20 years, even in fresh water. The tanks on my lift are rusting out and will need to be replaced soon. Make sure that if you purchase a floating boat lift that it has the newer plastic tanks. Especially if you intend to use it in salt water. Most of the older boat lifts used the galvanized steel tanks. Good luck with your purchase. I hope that you get as many years of service as I have.

Divecoz
Admiral
Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero

Post by Divecoz » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:12 pm

My Lift doesn't use tanks its all aluminum except cables ( Those are SS) I live on salt water.. its direct drive no pulley's no belts .. http://www.boatliftus.com/cradle.php

Brian wrote:I have been using a 6000# Galva-Lift floating boat lift since 2001. My Mac has been on it since I purchased it new in August of 2005. My previous boat was stored on the lift for four years before that. It has the standard two bow to stern 2" x 6" boards which are parallel and placed about 38" apart. The lift has been great. Way cheaper than bottom paint, and as Dive mentioned bottom paint does slow you down.

One thing that you should be aware of though. The older boat lifts used galvanized steel tanks which rust out after about 20 years, even in fresh water. The tanks on my lift are rusting out and will need to be replaced soon. Make sure that if you purchase a floating boat lift that it has the newer plastic tanks. Especially if you intend to use it in salt water. Most of the older boat lifts used the galvanized steel tanks. Good luck with your purchase. I hope that you get as many years of service as I have.

bedouin
Engineer
Location: Palma Sola Bay, Bradenton Fl. (Tampa Bay) 2008 M 50hp Etec

Post by bedouin » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:43 am

Well I finally bought the Hyrdohoist. It is a side load 9,000 pound lift. Old but should do the job nicely.

Now I am trying to figure out the best way to support my :macm: with the Hydohoist. Should I just use the V support at the bow and a full stern support and the stern?

Just double checking the trailer there are two rear supports, one at the stern and one at the axle and then of course the V support at the bow.

My Hydrohoist only has two cross members between the two 32" by 23' fiberglass hulls.

So my concern is..... if I only support the stern of the :macm: and the bow with the V support is that enough??

Or do I convert the Hydrohoist and make two parrellel bunks with the V support at the font???

Any thought would be greatly appreciated.

Matthew

Brian
Chief Steward
Location: Austin, TX 2006 26M "Soñador" white hull MACM0852G506 TLDI 90

Post by Brian » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:56 pm

There is no need to modify your Hydrohoist to match the trailer. All you need are the standard two bow to stern 2" x 6" boards which are parallel and placed about 38" apart. My boat has been on one of these lifts since 2005 with no issues. I attach a line to the bow eye, and lines to each stern cleat in case of storms or damage to the lift. The boat and lift have weathered many storms this way. If a hurricane is coming put the boat on the trailer and high tail it out of there...

bedouin
Engineer
Location: Palma Sola Bay, Bradenton Fl. (Tampa Bay) 2008 M 50hp Etec

Post by bedouin » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:00 am

Wow, that is very helpful Brian.

My Hyrdohoist is not set up for the parallel bunks but I can buy the adaptors and get some 2 by 6's and turn it into one. The 38" measurement is a great help.

Thank you.

Matthew

Dday103
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Post by Dday103 » Fri May 17, 2019 2:30 am

I have had my Mac on a 4 piling boat lift for 15 + years. I have the support on the trailer match the boat lift. I live in Pensacola Fl. If you leave the boat in the water you get growth and very fast, you can paint the bottom but it won’t last long when you beach it a lot. When the boat is on the lift I get no growth and have no worries. I forget it’s there. It’s windy here and when boat on lift I sleep well, if tied up to dock I worry about the lines. I have added bigger tie off cleats to the fore and aft sides of the boat as well. I’ve been using a generator to run the two electrical motors but one at a time, ie: 2 feet up left motor then right motor, same down. I started using a gen after we got hit by Hurricane Ivan in 2003. I trailer it and tie it down for the Hurricane then I sail it and put it on the lift with the Generator, I use a Honda 2000eu Generator, I have it fixed with wheels so I push it too the lift and plug the genny’s In, both genny’s are set for 115amp service. The lift is about 200 feet from land on my dock. I am getting a new boat lift this month and will have it electrified cause I’m retired now and have nothing else to do, it will be just in time for
the next Hurricane :D