Post by bobbob » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:58 am

Good previous topic on the subject:

http://macgregor26x.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... fec36eff44

Jim B Mack
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Best way to shorten CDI furler?

Post by Jim B Mack » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:01 pm

Not sure if you got this all sorted but I have been dealing with a similar issue. I bought a boat with a fore-stay curiously 8 inches to short. It was rigged with a halyard at the top that previous owner used as his solution.
I bought a Johnson Lever and it fit perfect(what are the chances).
Anyway the two that are available one closes to 6.5 the other 7. It is now very easy to pin the fore-stay and when closing the unit the stay snugs right up.
I'm going to measure the luff of the Genoa and then see if I can find what the OEM length is, I may have a custom not OEM sail, furler foil, and stay. The Genoa is new, I have a working rig but now very curious.

Let us know what your final solution is and if possible post a snapshot.

Thanks.........Jim

bobbob
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Best way to shorten CDI furler?

Post by bobbob » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:06 pm

My final solution was a bit of a disaster :) I tried to run the new thicker shroud from BWY through the furler and it kept getting stuck half way. My furler was a little bit bendy/wavy so I tried to bend it back straight and ended up snapping it....

At that point I just decided to leave it alone for the rest of the season and revisit next year. I have a second furler that was already much shorter but too short for the Genoa. However I believe it’s long enough for a Jib so I may just switch to a jib next season. I was already able to run the shroud through this one.

Unfortunately because I am using a prebuilt shroud it doesn’t do anything to solve the Johnson lever problem, but at least I know I can take it out of the furler and maybe get it re-swaged somewhere to the shorter length.