How to rig the spinnaker?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Jim B Mack
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

How to rig the spinnaker?

Post by Jim B Mack »

Ok this is my second topic the first one was a success with your collective input......THANKS!

Here is what I'm thinking we will install a second hound farther up mast not sure how much further so looking for input. Our boat came with a Spinnaker (never used hope it is still good its a Mac Spinnaker the one that came with the boat :macm: )

Then I figure the halyard can also double as a safety (maybe) to the fore-stay when not in use.

We are bringing the Fore-stay and Genoa in doors for the winter so will measure it and order a heaver guage forstay that will still work with FF2 CDI.

Think its 1/8 so up gauge to 5/32.

Next summer the plan is to leave the mast up.

Cheers............Jim
Estate Sail
Deckhand

Re: How to rig the spinnaker?

Post by Estate Sail »

Frank,
I rigged my 26M for a spinnaker two years ago. I bought the spinnaker and rigging through Blue Water Yachts. The Spinnaker hound is set at 15 to 18 inches above the Genoa hound. A Backup to the forestay was also a benefit to the set up. I recommend looping the halyard together so you don't lose it up the mast by mistake. I used it two weeks ago and it worked well on a run. PS. The spinnaker is large and I am a coward, so I recommend no stopper knots on the spinnaker sheets. Its a beautiful sail. Enjoy it!
Roger
Jim B Mack
Deckhand

Post by Jim B Mack »

Thanks Frank!
Sorry for the late reply.
The summer of 2019 is over and I never did give the asymmetric a try. Hopefully next season.
The down wind sailing I did was with main and Genoa was tricky as I did not use the spin pole, will try next year and the main snapped across on me a couple times.

Jim
DaveC426913
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by DaveC426913 »

I'm too chicken to try the spinny - esp. since I'm singlehanding most of the time.

I'll get by on my 150 Jenny.
C Buchs
Captain

Post by C Buchs »

I also got a spinnaker with my :macx: . I'm pretty sure it was never used. I purchased the rigging from Blue Water Yachts. I mounted 18 inches above where my roller Furler attaches. No problems. A friend helped me fly it one time last year, but the rest of my crew are too nervous to try it again and I'm too nervous to do it alone. Here's a picture of it up (I'm trying imgbb.com for the first time).

Sorry it's was getting dark and it doesn't really show how we rigged it. I couldn't find any good pictures showing how to rig before I set mine up, so if anyone has any please post.

Jeff
WinSome
Engineer

Post by WinSome »

I’m pleased to see this timely topic. We’ve a 26C and just acquired a used A. Spin. Planning to rig and ready it this winter. (S. Ontario,Canada). Don’t have a dousing sock.
Has anyone made your own parrel beads and down haul? Info please.
Re: main coming across! Install a preventor! See info on this site for setup. It could save you.
More pics of your setups please. Take care