Winged keel

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

nedmiller
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Winged keel

Post by nedmiller » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:51 am

In another thread, on outriggers, some posts from long ago were discussed. Rather than hijack that thread I thought I would put an old mod photo that may be no longer on this site, back into circulation. I assumed the wings were weighted and when the keel was lowered they would be both deep and rotate parallel to the water surface
This was a mod done by a member called “MadMike”

Brian-Up-North
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Winged keel

Post by Brian-Up-North » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:31 pm

very cool, does anyone know if this attached to the hull at the same place as the stock swing keel?

it would be great if we could find more pictures of this winged keel

I assume as well as better pointing ability this may be heavier than the stock swing keel too and help with stability?

1st Sail
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Winged keel

Post by 1st Sail » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:23 pm

He is the Renaissance man of Mac sailors. Sailed, motored, rowed an X down from Alaska via interior lakes and rivers thru Canada, (arranged for haul out to get around dams and make connections with the next navigable waterway) to the northern most navigable Missouri river, down the Miss River, up the Ohio, Tenn-Tom, across the gulf,panhandle of FL to the keys. Then jumped off the keys to South America, rounded the east coat of SA then up the Amazon as far as he could go. He added to outrigger amas to his X and powered with 2 9hp Hondas. If anyone can find the posts please repost. IIRC he has been to the top of Everest a few times as well.