any mods / suggestions for reducing heel in a 26x?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Re: any mods / suggestions for reducing heel in a 26x?

Post by Highlander » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:44 pm

NiceAft wrote:I still have not seen a reply post from the original poster.

There have been posted a multitude of answers from varried members, but I still want to know what amount of heel is too much.

Ray
Ray
Maybe he Married a heel & moved into a highrise :P

J 8)

NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:21 pm

https://youtu.be/BR6mWneKsbs

John, John, John. :D :D :D

Ray

nedmiller
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by nedmiller » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:29 pm

In theory, lowering the boom and thereby lowering the sail would help but I’ve not done this and do not know how far down you could get it before it started bumping into things. If heeling reduction is a really important then maybe buying a shorter sail would be a consideration?
Putting weight in the keel has been done and apparently does help a bit.

Think about everything that you have in the boat that is heavy and can be moved...and move it as close to the centerline and as low as possible. That would include tools, spare hardware, canned goods, water tanks and containers, We have two large house batteries and one large starter battery and we located house batteries under the aft dinette seat as close to the centerline as possible, which required a cutting of the liner and re-fiberglassing an upside down step in the cooler liner to make room for the batteries. We also store canned goods in that liner as low and as close to the centerline as possible.
Think about everything you have above seat level and decide if you really need it. If you do really need it do you need it stored that high? Anchors are most conveniently stored hanging off the rail. If you anchor quite a bit it’s really messy to bring them in and put them in the bilge. However, if you hardly ever anchor, get them lower.

DaveC426913
Admiral

Post by DaveC426913 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:58 pm

Get one of these.

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:38 pm

:P

Newell
First Officer

Post by Newell » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:39 am

Many cogent thoughts here. Increasing the 'righting moment' is another way to talk about heeling. Decreasing weight aloft and increasing weight below are two ways to address heeling, one of which have been mentioned. I put my VHF antenna on the cockpit to reduce weight aloft. Removed the steaming light, shortened the spreaders also for weight reduction and other reasons. Added lead to bottom of CB and so many other things to reduce heeling and increase speed, I can't remember them. Never have developed a reefing that I use enough to remember how to do it. So if the wind is overpowering me I just drop sail and fire up the 50D. I know my X is faster than most Xs in a sailing race and now that I have proven this to myself I have mostly quit trying to improve her performance. She is 23 years old now and I sail all year looping UT, CA & LA presently on Pontchartrain.

I like the boat to heel, that's what I like about sailing, so I leave non-heelers home, if possible, and sail unballasted if the wind is right. I don't advise others to sail un-ballasted. Surely, those who don't like heeling should not do it.

I guess the best suggestion to reduce heeling on the X is: 1. leave the sails home. 2. Remove the mast and leave it home. :cry:

Banner_IV
Just Enlisted

Post by Banner_IV » Tue May 28, 2019 12:58 pm

As I'm a noob, I'll answer with a question. I agree with reefing early and often, and I have proven to myself and others that it can increase speed (even though they still thought healing was more fun) but what about easing the vang this would allow the boom to raise and the main to spill more air?