advice on new sails for 26x

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Brian-Up-North
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

advice on new sails for 26x

Post by Brian-Up-North » Wed May 29, 2019 10:26 pm

We are considering getting new sails and had some questions.

1) Is the jib on a stock macgregor 26x 95%, 100% or 105%
2) For the main, do you recommend standard (partial battens) or some full battens?
3) Are there any other options that you recommend?
4) Do the stock main sails come with a cunningham or flattening reef sail control
5) for a jib what is the best way to attach - head pennant?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

dlandersson
Admiral

Re: advice on new sails for 26x

Post by dlandersson » Thu May 30, 2019 6:25 am

Depending on how you sail, additional reef points may be in order.

Also,if you do not have roller furling, ypou may wish to consider that.

Also, re: roller furling, if you have it/get it, having sewn-in UV protection for your jib/genoa may be worth considering. 8)

Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup » Thu May 30, 2019 10:18 am

Take a look at the descriptions on this page, they are specific to :macx: sails and do a good job of describing the different features.

http://shop.bwyachts.com/category-s/112.htm

The standard jib is 110% and genoa 150%. There have been debates on which is preferred. My experience from having both is I much preferred the smaller 110 jib most of the time. The 150 on the :macx: has a lot of compromises for a few gains reaching. How and where you typically sail is a large factor of which is preferred.

The stock :macx: main has the only reef up where a typical sail maker would put a second reef. Since the X is fairly light it is in the right place for when the wind blows so a decent compromise. If you want an upgrade get one with two or three reefs. Setting the boom up with an adjustable outhaul is a little more useful to me than the Cunningham. Full battens seem a bit more forgiving when trimming, but either will work fine.

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:10 pm

The standard jib is 110% and genoa 150%. There have been debates on which is preferred. My experience from having both is I much preferred the smaller 110 jib most of the time. The 150 on the has a lot of compromises for a few gains reaching. How and where you typically sail is a large factor of which is preferred.

The stock main has the only reef up where a typical sail maker would put a second reef. Since the X is fairly light it is in the right place for when the wind blows so a decent compromise. If you want an upgrade get one with two or three reefs. Setting the boom up with an adjustable outhaul is a little more useful to me than the Cunningham. Full battens seem a bit more forgiving when trimming, but either will work fine.
I agree with all of this. I have been sailing my '98 26X now for almost 16 years. I don't race; nor do I go out for "wild rides" at excessive angels of heel. 25 degrees is about my comfort level. I have used my 110 jib almost exclusively after experimenting with the Genoa early on. I do enjoy the roller reefing; it come in very handy when also reefing the main in strong winds. I can easily adjust the size of the jib accordingly. Likewise, when I replaced my mainsail, I conferred with my "sail guy" at Doyle, and we decided to stick with the one set of reef points at the original location. My replacement main has only the standard partial battens. It seems to work out fine.

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:41 am

dlandersson wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:25 am
Depending on how you sail, additional reef points may be in order.

Also,if you do not have roller furling, you may wish to consider that.

Also, re: roller furling, if you have it/get it, having sewn-in UV protection for your jib/genoa may be worth considering. 8)

DownSouth
Deckhand

Post by DownSouth » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:33 pm

Has anyone bought one of the new Blue Water Yachts Cruising mainsails? I am looking at the 2 reef one or maybe the most expensive offshore fully battened.