IL DNR creates involuntary on line boater portal!

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Hamin' X, kmclemore, Paul S, beene, Catigale

1st Sail
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

IL DNR creates involuntary on line boater portal!

Post by 1st Sail » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:47 am

Just received a letter from the State of Illinois stating the IL DNR has created an online portal for all IL registered boater! Apparently the same government agency that lost my boat registration when I purchased my M, and lost my sales tax check has managed to breached their (my) own data. According to the letter my name, address, city, state, gender, date of birth, boat info, and SSN # was posted on line. But they assured me they are pretty sure no one captured the data. However, the letter also informed me I should protect myself by placing a fraud alert or credit freeze on my credit record. And they informed me I may have to pay a fee for these protective services. No offer to reimburse for said fees. And certainly no apology for the error.

So there you go IL boaters your on line! Now you can find my on line, credit cards # are available on the dark web.
Go figure.

Carioca
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: IL DNR creates involuntary on line boater portal!

Post by Carioca » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:14 pm

Illinois do not resuscitate ?

Banner_IV
Just Enlisted

Post by Banner_IV » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:28 pm

Department of Nerd Research :wink:

Actually Department of Natural Resources

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:28 am

I'm going to buy the mot expensive tow beast ever. Thank you very much. :P
1st Sail wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:47 am
Just received a letter from the State of Illinois stating the IL DNR has created an online portal for all IL registered boater! Apparently the same government agency that lost my boat registration when I purchased my M, and lost my sales tax check has managed to breached their (my) own data. According to the letter my name, address, city, state, gender, date of birth, boat info, and SSN # was posted on line. But they assured me they are pretty sure no one captured the data. However, the letter also informed me I should protect myself by placing a fraud alert or credit freeze on my credit record. And they informed me I may have to pay a fee for these protective services. No offer to reimburse for said fees. And certainly no apology for the error.

So there you go IL boaters your on line! Now you can find my on line, credit cards # are available on the dark web.
Go figure.