Does this look right?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

nedmiller
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Does this look right?

Post by nedmiller » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:16 pm

I received a new master cylinder for my mid 90s MacGregor 26X trailer from BWY. As I was installing it, I couldn’t understand how the breakaway lever was supposed to work. I know what it is supposed to do, but I don’t see how it can do that. The lever is a bit bent but isn’t attached to anything. I’m wondering if it needs more parts that perhaps fell apart and out in the past. This photo doesn’t show the lever, but if there something that it is supposed to hook to up front and should be in the photo, let me know! It would be really helpful if someone had a diagram of this actuator!

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Re: Does this look right?

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:07 am

A cable connects the lever to the hitch or other part of the tow vehicle. Should the trailer disconnect while under way, the opening gap will pull the cable to apply the brakes. Obviously, the lever should lock in the 'applied' position, as the thin cable will break once it's pulled too hard.

nedmiller
First Officer

Post by nedmiller » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:51 am

I agree! I have a cable attached and have religiously attached ot to the truck. But the lever coming out the top, that the cable is attached to is not attached to anything else! Inside the actuator, it just hangs there. I would think the lever would have to fire a spring or drop a another lever or something to make the brake come on and then stay on if the trailer got loose! I can’t find out what the actuator is supposed to look like inside. There is a large spring attached to the rod that goes into the master cylinder. There must be missing pieces!

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:06 am

nedmiller wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:16 pm
I received a new master cylinder for my mid 90s MacGregor 26X trailer from BWY. As I was installing it, I couldn’t understand how the breakaway lever was supposed to work. I know what it is supposed to do, but I don’t see how it can do that. The lever is a bit bent but isn’t attached to anything. I’m wondering if it needs more parts that perhaps fell apart and out in the past. This photo doesn’t show the lever, but if there something that it is supposed to hook to up front and should be in the photo, let me know! It would be really helpful if someone had a diagram of this actuator!
It's close. That lever should be on the other side of the big washer, I believe. When pulled hard, the lever compresses the spring against the master cylinder, and goes over center to hold it there. There's a U-shaped spring clip holding the lever in (part #13), and I didn't want to mess with mine to show how it goes together, but here are a couple of pics in case they help.

Also, look at pages 6 and 10 in this file for the internal bits and their orientation.

https://www.triadtrailers.com/wp-conten ... manual.pdf

And in case you're wondering, yes I replaced the entire coupler when I got the trailer. Lotta work, as I had to grind off the old welds (no torch any more), and drill mounting holes for bolts as I didn't want to weld the new one on. For that, I could'a just replaced the guts with the guts from the new one, but then, it wouldn't be shiny and new looking. :D

nedmiller
First Officer

Post by nedmiller » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:32 am

Wow! Just what I needed! And right when I needed it! I was about to abandon having that break-away work and bleed the brakes and be done with it. I had tried to put that lever in front but then I could not get the master cylinder to move far enough forward. Now that I KNOW that it is supposed to be there, I’ll make it happen! I love this board!
Thanks so much!

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:35 pm

nedmiller wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:32 am
Wow! Just what I needed! And right when I needed it! I was about to abandon having that break-away work and bleed the brakes and be done with it. I had tried to put that lever in front but then I could not get the master cylinder to move far enough forward. Now that I KNOW that it is supposed to be there, I’ll make it happen! I love this board!
Thanks so much!
On page 6 they describe how to get the lever in front of the big washer. The "break-away spring", part #13, has to be removed, then you can move the lever to the other side of the washer and put the spring and cover back.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:30 pm

Sooooo, did you get it reconfigured so it'll work?

Jimmyt
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Jimmyt » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:54 am

Just like my job. You knew you had done a good job designing when you never heard about the job again... You only hear back when something runs amok. :P

Thanks for posting the pics/info. I've been curious about how that was put together - not curious enough to take it apart while it's still working, but curious.

nedmiller
First Officer

Post by nedmiller » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:02 am

It did work! I got it back together and started to bleed the brakes and realized a brake line was broken. I replaced the line and bled the brakes and things worked fantastic! The master cylinder from Bluewater yachts is very good. It replaces the one for the Champion trailers which had a rust problem. I might not have gotten a cap on it properly and tightened down really well at some point, because it was really rusty inside, but it has been years. The BWY has stainless bolts to hold down top.

There of been posts on how to bleed the brakes but the manual had a super easy way. There is a hole under the hitch lock lever. Put your biggest screwdriver in it and have the Admiral lever it against the end of the push rod while you open & close bleeder bolts at the calipers. Easy!

If you didn’t download the actuator manual that Tomfoolery posted, do so if you have this actuator! When I read it, I realized that my safety chain versus breakaway cable were not properly matched to the length.

Thanks again for the help!

nedmiller
First Officer

Post by nedmiller » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:34 pm

nedmiller wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:02 am
It did work! I got it back together and started to bleed the brakes and realized a brake line was broken. I replaced the line and bled the brakes and things worked fantastic! The master cylinder from Bluewater Yachts is very good. It replaces the one from Champion trailers which had a rust problem. I might not have gotten a cap on it properly and tightened down really well at some point, because it was really rusty inside, but it has been years. The BWY has stainless bolts to hold down top.

There of been posts on how to bleed the brakes but the manual had a super easy way. There is a hole under the hitch lock lever. Put your biggest screwdriver in it and have the Admiral lever it against the end of the push rod while you open & close bleeder bolts at the calipers. Easy!

If you didn’t download the actuator manual that Tomfoolery posted, do so if you have this actuator! When I read it, I realized that my safety chain versus breakaway cable were not properly matched to the length.

Thanks again for the help!