BBQ options

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
pleb222
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

BBQ options

Post by pleb222 »

Hi everyone, just bought my Mac 26M. I'm looking at BBQ options.

1) a portable bbq on legs like the Napoleon travel Q, that is stowed inside the boat when not in use

2) Add stern rail seats, or add another stanchion at the stern and install a decent sea-bq.

I'd like to know what other owners have, and how it works for them. I will trailer the mac a lot, so I'm concerned about the stern mounted unit on the highway. On the other hand, I'd like to limit the amount of stuff I need to stow inside.

Any thoughts?
Phil :macm: 2003, Tohatsu TLDI 70
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: BBQ options

Post by Tomfoolery »

I have the original (small) Magma kettle gas grill with a mounting rod I put on the rail. I also have the extension rod, which helps, as there's no good place to put it in a Mac power sailor. But I do store it below decks, upright in a compartment under the v-berth. One-pound gas bottles next to the gas tanks in the cockpit.

Just noticed the small Magma is on sale at West Marine for $150 till the end of the month. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/magma--o ... cordNum=10
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

I would hop on that Magma deal right away. That's a great deal. I believe the Magma grill is the ONLY grill I would have on a boat. All Stainless Steel and well made.

This is probably the best purchase we have made. We use the grill for cooking EVERYTHING from bacon & eggs to pizza. Love that thing.
It has a quick-release mount that is easy and fast to mount to a stanchion or as on mine, the stern seats.

Quick release stanchion mount
--Russ
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

This is the Magma I have. It is one heck of a propane grill.

It attaches to our Stern seats, but when we are not on the boat, with the foldable legs, it is our portable picnic grill.A large grill area makes it perfect for us. The LED light is quite useful for brightly illuminating the grill area at night.

While being towed, the unit sits in the cabin. Attaching or removing it from the stern rail seat is simple and quick. Not a challenge at all.

Ray ~~_/)~~
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

I trailer every time I sail, so share your concern over setup/teardown. I built a mount off the stern rails to permanently affix the grill to the boat. It's aluminum strap and stainless bolts/nuts. Nuts are nylock type. In addition to the factory latch, I add a bungee to prevent the lid from opening if the latch vibrates open. Speed tested to 60 mph (so far). I can't easily get it off for use ashore, but I don't see myself using it that way. By keeping it astern, I minimized the liklihood of knocking it off while docking.

Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Todd
Engineer

Post by Todd »

Tomfoolery wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:26 am I have the original (small) Magma kettle gas grill with a mounting rod I put on the rail. I also have the extension rod, which helps, as there's no good place to put it in a Mac power sailor. But I do store it below decks, upright in a compartment under the v-berth. One-pound gas bottles next to the gas tanks in the cockpit.

Just noticed the small Magma is on sale at West Marine for $150 till the end of the month. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/magma--o ... cordNum=10
I was just looking at grills this last week and the price of the magma was just a bit too high. But with free shipping this is a decent enough deal. Just submitted my order! One step closer to full camping setup.
Todd
'07 26M

:macm:
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

If you don't want your new grill to turn yellow, don't turn it up to high with the lid closed and look away for a few minutes. That's a very powerful burner in there, and it'll get real hot real fast.

As I learned the hard way ha ha. :P
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

I think the Magma was a good choice. You will enjoy it.

We have used a Dickinson Sea-B-que for the past 10 years, and it's still working well. For the X, this was the perfect mounting spot, it can even be trailered in place although we remove it for long trips.

Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

The Magma grill MOUNT looks flimsy but it is remarkably sturdy. And the release allows quick removal.

Tom, mine turned yellow as well. Now I cover it so I can't see it.

--Russ