Repowering with a Suzuki DF90a

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
trdprotruck
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Repowering with a Suzuki DF90a

Post by trdprotruck »

Hi All,

After so many years of procrastinating I am finally taking the plunge and repowering my :macx: with a 90hp. I have decided to go with a Suzuki df90atl2 after seeing the "big success" that others have had as well as Suzuki's flush mount controls. I'm currently reading the installation instructions, that the control box can only be rotated 30 deg up or down from horizontal. Can anyone share with me how they fit the control box into the :macx: binnacle? It seems like I won't be able to have neutral point in a vertical direction due to space limitations.

Questions Answered below in the pictures :D

Thanks,

-Randy
Last edited by trdprotruck on Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
trdprotruck
First Officer

Re: Repowering with a Suzuki DF90a

Post by trdprotruck »

Due to this whole Covid situation it seams that many outboard manufacturers are out of stock and there isn't much of a discount compared to previous years. I decided to save myself some money and my dealer some time by de-rigging my :macx: on my own...

trdprotruck
First Officer

Post by trdprotruck »

Based on what I've read from other's repower stories I've decided to install transom wedges. I decided to go with Bob's Machine billet transom wedges rather than some of the cast aluminum one's I've seen.

One of the issues though is the lip that the :macx: has at the top of the transom. Luckily I have access to a milling machine and cut a relief to clear the lip.

Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Jimmyt »

Nice work!
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

I think you'll really love the DF90A. It came in a close second in our decision making process when we decided to repower to 90HP. The Etec won because of weight, size, low maintenance, and winterization, but it's no longer an option.

I have been very impressed at how quiet the Suzukis are: noise is the biggest drawback to the Etec.

Next repower for us will almost certainly be a df90. Not for another few years, though.

With the wedges, remember that when you are at hull speed for long distance leisurely cruising, use the tilt to bring the prop up to horizontal. It makes a huge difference and drops the rpm significantly for the same cruising speed.
C Buchs
Captain

Post by C Buchs »

I'm planning to repower my X this offseason with a 90HP. Can you please post as many details as you can and lessons learned?

Thanks...Jeff
trdprotruck
First Officer

Post by trdprotruck »

@Jimmy T: Thanks!

@Starscream: That's good to hear! I had a really hard time deciding between just buying an old Yamaha 90 2 stroke or getting the df90. The cost of the df90 is more than the value of the boat and I wasn't sure if I made the right call. It sure would be nice to have a quiet motor with no smoke...

@C Buchs: I'll try to keep this post active with all the details... It may take awhile though. My outboard dealer has me on a waitlist due to the lack of inventory.

While I'm waiting, I've decided to upgrade my original mac trailer to a tandem this weekend. Time to break out the welder :)

-Randy
trdprotruck
First Officer

Post by trdprotruck »

Well I finally got word that the outboard has arrived at the warehouse and it should arrive at my dealer soon. While I was waiting, I started swapping out instruments and installing the new controls.

I was a little worried about the neutral position with the vertical helm, but it turned out ok.

I found a tach with troll mode even cheaper than the regular version. It fit perfectly in the spot of the old BRP tach.

Added the start switch and Troll Mode controls.

I'm not sure how useful troll mode would be, but I found it dirt cheap so I thought why not? :D
Idiotfool
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Idiotfool »

trdprotruck wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:15 am Well I finally got word that the outboard has arrived at the warehouse and it should arrive at my dealer soon. While I was waiting, I started swapping out instruments and installing the new controls.

I was a little worried about the neutral position with the vertical helm, but it turned out ok.

I found a tach with troll mode even cheaper than the regular version. It fit perfectly in the spot of the old BRP tach.

Added the start switch and Troll Mode controls.

I'm not sure how useful troll mode would be, but I found it dirt cheap so I thought why not? :D
Looking good. Might I ask what motor you had and why you’re switching?
trdprotruck
First Officer

Post by trdprotruck »

My old motor was a noisy, smelly, 2 stroke Johnson. I wanted all the benefits of quiet 4 stroke with EFI plus the extra power from a 90 hp. I was once stuck in some big following seas during one trip and I told my wife "you know it would be more comfortable/safer if we had a bigger motor and could just ride the back of these swells." She agreed and I got the green light to look for a new motor :D
socalmacer
Chief Steward

Post by socalmacer »

Did you happen to look at a Honda or Yamaha? The only reason I ask is I'm the original owner of a 1996 26X and still have the original 50HP Honda. This outboard is running great after all these years and would take some prodding to switch brands. The reason I bring up Yamaha is I've heard these are even more reliable than the Honda. I've only had to do the regular maintenance items on this Honda over almost 25 years where the most extensive was just last year which required I rebuild the carbs. Any feedback would be great!
trdprotruck
First Officer

Post by trdprotruck »

Yep I looked at Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki. Honda was a little too pricey and I was really tempted by the Yamaha 70 with its light weight. In the end I decided to get the Suzuki because...
  • Cost of the suzy 90 is about the same as the Yamaha 70
  • 1.5l vs 1.0 l (No replacement for displacement!)
  • timing chain vs belt
  • Noise. I think the Suzuki is quieter, but that is subjective.
If you are ok with the power of you Honda 50, run it till it dies. I just got frustrated with my old outboard dying at the wrong time and being noisy and stinky and slow etc. etc.
trdprotruck
First Officer

Post by trdprotruck »

The day is finally here! I dropped off the mac :macx: to the Suzuki dealer on Friday and brought it back home today! My new engine is worth more than the boat now! :D Just FYI the model is a DF90ATL3. I guess they are on the 3rd iteration of these outboards now.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

Wow!

Looks nice in white.

I love everything about that motor, and it will be the replacement for our Etec90 when the time comes. It does look a lot larger than the Etec tho, and I'm a bit worried about the weight. I am curious, if you ever get the chance, to see some floating photos showing the position of the motor well drain hole relative to the water.
C Buchs
Captain

Post by C Buchs »

That looks great. We're finishing the install of our 90hp etecs now. I'm curious about how yours is installed.

We did a similar reinforcement of the upper bolts in the motor well. Did you do any reinforcement of the transom around the lower bolts?

We actually just finished laying out the steering linkage. We think we have something that will work. I'll take some pictures and post. Can you post pictures of your setup?

Jeff