New 26X owner, going to need a lot of help!

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
SlowSL
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

New 26X owner, going to need a lot of help!

Post by SlowSL »

Hello everyone. I was actually looking for a classic, which was more in my budget, but happened to find a '99 X needing some TLC for less than what I was prepared to pay for a classic. I'm pretty lost and overwhelmed at the moment, never owned a boat like this. I've sailed Hobie 16's for most of my life, as well as some other small dinghys. Everything was hastily tied down and just tossed in the boat, so all of the rigging and loose bits are a complete mess. It's 15 degree and two foot of snow right now, so I'm not going to be able to get any of the rigging straightened out until spring. It was storm damaged, mainsail was blown away and lost, but the headsail is still furled up and in tact, no clue of the condition of it yet. No motor, but everything else seems to be there, just was banged up from coming loose and smacking into the dock. The biggest damage was the front pulpit mounts pulling fiberglass off the decking and a 4" long puncture on the side. Interior needs some major cleaning and touching up. Trailer is also a big concern. I was able to tow it from the gulf up here to northern Indiana, but the brakes are not functioning, and there are no bunks. Instead, they placed 2x4's on top of the cross bracing. So the rear port/starboard bottom is sitting on 2x4's, and the front is sitting on one, so only three places are touching. I'm not too confident with that setup being point loaded on such small surface areas, but then again, there are not problems using jack stands, but bouncing around going down the road may be a bit more stressful, I don't know. Looks like I can just fabricate some longitudinal bunks just the way it's sitting now, pushing them right into position and welding, jack up the boat a bit and remove the wood, and drop the boat back down onto the new bunks.

Anyway, I'm going to have a large collections of questions I will be posting as I restore this boat, if you guys would be so kind as to point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it, can't wait until it's finished and we can enjoy it. I'm going to be fairly budget minded going forward, after finding a mainsail and motor, I'll be around my original budget.... then add all of the other things needed, and it could really add up.
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: New 26X owner, going to need a lot of help!

Post by NiceAft »

There are plenty of owners here who freely give their opinions. :D That's a good thing :)

As to your budgetary timeline, do things in doable chewables.
Ray ~~_/)~~
C Buchs
Captain

Post by C Buchs »

I'd love to see pictures of the work you need to do.

Jeff
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

The first thing is to buy everyone pizza 8)
SlowSL wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:51 am Hello everyone. I was actually looking for a classic, which was more in my budget, but happened to find a '99 X needing some TLC for less than what I was prepared to pay for a classic.
WinSome
Engineer

Post by WinSome »

Nicely done. This is the site for support and info. Years ago we made a similar size jump to a Mac. I still recall being so excited. And it’s still exciting.
My advise is to take it in manageable steps. Parts and info are out there. Start a list.
Not to worry too much about the trailer bunks. They are needed, but the underline is tougher than most think. And resting on the trailer, it doesn’t have a lot of contact surface. Your home now and take your time. Enjoy
SlowSL
Chief Steward

Post by SlowSL »

Thanks everyone, pizza and beer are on the way. I will certainly take some pictures and document the repairs when I get started.

SlowSL
Chief Steward

Post by SlowSL »

As you can see the interior was exposed to the elements, hopefully it will clean up nicely. I have one issue that needs addressed right away though. Apparently from driving through rain/sleet/snow, water had accumulated inside the hull and froze. I can see ice in the bilge area, some along the port/starboard sides looking into the access holes, as well as about 1" in the recessed area of the floor at the bottom of the companionway. The previous owner had installed a flush style drain plug in the bottom of the stern. Even though it was open, must have gotten clogged with something. Is this something I should try to melt right away, or should it be fine until spring? I'd think since these are relatively open areas, the ice was able to expand. If anything, the damage is probably already done, as it is not going to get any worse since it is already frozen. I ran an electric heater inside for about 4 hours. It was pretty warm inside, but the ice didn't even start to melt. I'm thinking the only way will be to leave it in a heated garage for about a week.

**edit**
I'm probably going to glass over the drain plug. As long as I reseal all of the deck hardware, there shouldn't be water accumulating into the boat where a drain plug would be required.
Also, where does the drain hole in the floor at the bottom of the companionway go?
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

I am not familiar with an :macx: , but plenty here are.

As to heating up the interior, but the ice is still firm; heat rises, it may not be getting down to the ice.

When I was in college (decades ago), I was visiting a friend at Penn state. It was the winter, and he turned the heat up, and we were playing a board game while sitting on the floor. After awhile, we noticed we were still quite cold. I stood to investigate. From my shoulders up, I was at the equator. The heating vents were at the ceiling; the heat never reached the floor. Not even close :!: :D
Ray ~~_/)~~
SlowSL
Chief Steward

Post by SlowSL »

NiceAft wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:42 am I am not familiar with an :macx: , but plenty here are.

As to heating up the interior, but the ice is still firm; heat rises, it may not be getting down to the ice.
Yeah, that was my thought, I don't want to sit there for two days using a hair dryer though, I'm leaning towards just leaving it for spring to take care of.
NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft »

Get a tarp to cover the :macx: so more water doesn't get in, and wait for the spring.
Ray ~~_/)~~
SlowSL
Chief Steward

Post by SlowSL »

NiceAft wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:55 am Get a tarp to cover the :macx: so more water doesn't get in, and wait for the spring.
Yep, stopped and got a tarp on my way home, just haven't had time to install it.
SlowSL
Chief Steward

Post by SlowSL »

The mast doesn't seem to be properly stored either. the spreaders are resting on the lifelines, putting tension on the spreaders and lifelines . I'm guessing they should be maneuvered under the lifelines?
NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft »

Yes, they should be under the lifelines, and the Genoa should not be resting on any spreader.

I don't know what others do, but I have always zipped tied it to the mast. I have never has a problem in fifteen years. Others may have alternatives.
Ray ~~_/)~~
C Buchs
Captain

Post by C Buchs »

Spend some time on the Blue Water Yachts website: www.bwyachts.com. Make a list and start checking it twice. I know you said you'll need a mainsail. I'm guessing you'll also need a new rubrail kit after you fix the bow pulpit. More, more, more, ....

I'd also recommend the Boatworks Today youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0kDqq ... Uk3oTaHBuA He has a lot of videos that will teach you how to do fiberglass repair.

If you post your list here, you'll get lots of advice on how to tackle each project. We will hopefully even give some good advice :?

Jeff
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

There are 4 drains on a standard "X". There is one in the bow that drains the anchor locker, one for each sink, and one in the stern that drains the engine well. All have plastic hoses connected to them. The small hole near floor level near the companionway is to allow water that may be accumulating in the bilge to escape where you can see it.

The long hose in the head is not standard.

The pipe on on the floor next to the boom is part of the mast raising system.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me