socket size for bf50 prop nut

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Misha
Just Enlisted

socket size for bf50 prop nut

Post by Misha »

I have to change prop next weekend and my boat is far away. Could somebody check please what size of socket I need for the prop nut of BF50?
DaveC426913
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: socket size for bf50 prop nut

Post by DaveC426913 »

I just pulled my prop off my BF50 last week and I didn't use a wrench at all. It's held with a cotter pin.
MacX 2000 Honda BF50A 'SeaSaw'
Misha
Just Enlisted

Post by Misha »

Thank you Dave for the reply. Do you mean the nut was so loose you were able to unscrew it by fingers?
Misha
Just Enlisted

Post by Misha »

My boat is far away in the middle of nowhere so I could not take a chance and have to make sure I have all necessary tools with me
Bilgemaster
First Officer
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine

Post by Bilgemaster »

If you're referring to the "castle nut" with the cotter pin, if your "BF50" model matches those described here, it looks like it's a 16mm: https://www.boats.net/product/honda/903 ... NQQAvD_BwE

The whole prop assembly is shown here: https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda/out ... /propeller

When I had to swap props a couple of years ago, like Dave's, mine was also just "snug".

I keep one of these on my 26X underneath the bench just forward of the galley. Sure, its contents ain't the pinnacle of the toolmaker's craft, but it's often handy for this and that:

Source: https://www.harborfreight.com/105-piece ... -4030.html

Sure, I've got scads of finer tools, but if I don't wanna paw through the inventory, these little 105-piece 4-drawer kits are super-handy if you just wanna grab-and-go. I've actually got a few stashed here and there that I've snagged on sale over the years. And the quality isn't SO woeful...actually semi-decent. In contrast, the quality of their slightly cheaper 130-piece kits truly ARE excremental, and best avoided. They must be made in some different factory yonder staffed by machinists from whatever the Chinese equivalent is of the Columbia Lighthouse for the Blind using melted down cat food cans. The wrenches in that kit still smell vaguely of tuna.
Last edited by Bilgemaster on Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Russ »

Bilgemaster wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:44 pmusing melted down cat food cans. The wrenches in that kit still smell vaguely of tuna.
:D :D :D

My Suzuki prop nut is the same castle nut. Finger tight with a cotter pin.
--Russ
Misha
Just Enlisted

Post by Misha »

Thank you Bilgemaster and Russ.
Bilgemaster
First Officer
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine

Post by Bilgemaster »

You're very welcome. Oh, and make sure and bring a little grease for the shaft and once the old one's off check for any wound up fishing or other line. It won't do your seal there any favors.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Bilgemaster wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:44 pmIf you're referring to the "castle nut" with the cotter pin, if your "BF50" model matches those described here, it looks like it's a 16mm: https://www.boats.net/product/honda/903 ... NQQAvD_BwE
That would be the thread. I believe the socket size would be 23mm, give or take.

I thought I had a spare nut laying about in the garage, but I don't know where it is, so I can't check right now. :|
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

I'm pretty sure it's a 22mm but I used a large crescent wrench last time I took mine off. There is a good chance you can take it off with your hands but take a wrench just to be on the safe side.

The procedure is to snug it down, sort of like a trailer hub nut but not nearly as tight, and then back it off to line up the holes for the cotter pin. Always use a new pin!
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
Bilgemaster
First Officer

Post by Bilgemaster »

Now that I ponder it, 16mm DOES seem a bit teeny. I do hate that fancy footwork they sometimes do with bolt diameter vs. bolt head wrench sizes. There's a Wikipedia article that sort of explains it here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrench_size, and it looks like a 24mm wrench might do a good job with an M16 nut or bolt (unless it's some wacky JIS [Japanese Industrial Standard] fastener, like those wonky Phillips-like crosshead "dotted top" screws which are the bane of motorcyclists, and'll round out and strip if they so much as get in the same zipcode as a Phillips Head screwdriver, in which case it might be a 22mm JIS wrench, though a good old 'Murican 5/8" might also give you some joy.)

But yeah, bring a couple of crescent wrenches, and you should be just fine. It won't be like trying to loosen one if the pedestal anchor bolts of the Eiffel Tower, or even a Dodge V-8 manifold. Hëll, a bit of harsh language might even get it to back off.

But if you think YOU'VE got nut pains, my Royal Enfield Bullet 500 motorcycle, kind of an "engineering fossil" still made in India in our Millennium, though based on a 1954 British design last updated way back then from a Pre-War one, uses a combination of SAE, Metric and even a few Whitworth nuts and bolts here and there. Go try and find a ¼ Whitworth wrench on the shelves at your Harbor Fright, Home Despot or wherever! Grab me a flask of buggywhip oil dressing while you're there, OK?
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

I’ll snap a picture this morning. I’m pretty sure it’s a 1 inch 25 mm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Robitstad,

Welcome to the forum.

What boat are you looking for, and how did you stumble upon us :?:
Ray ~~_/)~~