Measurable improvements.

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Scott
Admiral
Sailboat: Venture 25
Location: 1978 Catalina 22 with all the Racing Goodies!! 4 horse fire breathing monster on the transom

Measurable improvements.

Post by Scott »

I am curious as to which improvement sactually have resulted in performance improvements. Measurable or perceived, I dont care.

As for the Jenny the #1 performance enhancing improvement was a complete and accurate rig tune. Since we spent all the time this year doing it right and also moving the mast forward 2 degrees to 2 deg aft rake, all sail adjustments seem to work better and result in a crisper "feel" amd a much less tender boat.

I ask this because we all seem to be a bunch of crazies that will bolt anything to our boats that is less than 8 ft wide and 26 ft long.

I would like to know what actually works for you!!
delevi
Admiral

Post by delevi »

Ok, I'll take a stab:

1. Rig tuning, taking up the forestay to reduce mast rake & tightening the upper shrouds, (letting up on the lowers) to induce mast bend. The former reduces weather helm & roundups. The later helps flatten the main sail a bit, but not sure if I really noticed a change.
2. BWY steering to easily disconnect the engine while sailing. LOVE IT!
3. Main Halyard aft, including installation of slugs. A must have mod.
4. Intermediate Reef Point
5. Ballasted Dagger board (can't forget that.) Reduces heel angle on average 5-7 degrees (SWAG)
6. Running Back Stays (helps point about 5 degrees closer, taking the bow out of the RF forestay.)
7. Jiffy reefs for both reef points (not single line reefing.) I still go up on deck to drop slugs and put the new tack on the hook. The jiffy reef sets the new clew w/o having to undo the outhaul and put it through the new clew.
8. Roller Furling (a must have IMHO) Got that with the boat, however
9. Large 5.5 Gal Sanipoti. Also a must have for anyone doing any overnight trips.
10. Larger steering wheel 18" (no performance increase but feels & looks better.)
11. Steering wheel break. I got this as a dealer perk, but I hear not everyone has one. This is fantastic for single-handing for those of us w/o autopilot.

Leon
Scott
Admiral
Sailboat: Venture 25
Location: 1978 Catalina 22 with all the Racing Goodies!! 4 horse fire breathing monster on the transom

Post by Scott »

Specifically what I was fishing for was enhancements that improved either handling or speed.

I guess the porta potti loosely falls in that catagory.
March
Captain

Post by March »

I installed the solar panel behind, attached above the engine and the rudders. I am sure it improves the speed, just as car fins and spoilers do.

It's something measurable, too. The boat is longer by some 48 inches.
Hamin' X
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Post by Hamin' X »

Scott wrote:I guess the porta potti loosely falls in that catagory.
Was that a pun, Scott? I guess I'll have to agree that it would help with movement.

Rich
delevi
Admiral

Post by delevi »

The porta poti improves efficiency and performance. May reduce speed due to the additional weight of the contents. :D
Steering linkage improves speed & boat handling *when engine disconnected*
Reefs, Ballasted keel, & running backstays all improve speed/performance. Properly tuned rig-absolutely. Ok, I threw in a few (just nice-to-have) items.

Leon
Frank C

Post by Frank C »

I guess the porta potti falls loosely into the category of "running" rigging?
When yer runnin' for that rig, it had better accomodate efficient movement! :o
ALX357
Admiral
Location: Nashville TN -- 2000 MacGregor 26X, Mercury two-stroke 50hp

Post by ALX357 »

using the porta-potty acutally only amounts to shifting ballast
Frank C

Post by Frank C »

ALX357 wrote: ... acutally only amounts to shifting ballast
Careful how ya spell that, pardner! :o groan!! :|
(this is surely destined for the Pub, or lower, eh? )

Seriously, Scott -

I think the single most effective upgrade to my boat was the Garhauer rigid vang for $200. Absent a traveler, it still permits effective flattening of the mainsial for heavy air. Next after that, I'd choose the sail slugs and intermediate reef in the mainsail. I have roller furler and high-tech Genoa, but I think just the standard hank-on jib would have been ample. (saving ~ $1,600 !)

If starting over I'd next choose a heavier boom ($300), then an autopilot ($1.000), maybe followed by my already installed split adjustable backstay, and adjustable outhaul. These last two are so quick and easy, it's just silly to be without them.

However, I still feel the boat needs more rudder surface for heavy conditions and probably more CB surface as well (a la MaddMike ... $1,000?). These are prospective, so it's not really a performance assessment, rather an assessment of continuing deficiencies ... IMO.

Recapping then, for heavy air sailing:
Rigid vang, intermediate reef, beefier boom, autopilot for single-handing, rudders, CB.
The other thousands of bucks & hundreds of hrs - mainly convenience, not performance. :wink:
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

A small Harken block on my outhaul turned it into a 2:1 which makes it easier to get the foot to good tension.....30 second mod.
DLT
Admiral

Post by DLT »

Ok, so how does one 'measure' the effectiveness of the porta-pottie?
They Theirs
Captain

Post by They Theirs »

DLT wrote:
Ok, so how does one 'measure' the effectiveness of the porta-pottie?
Porta-Pottie performance is measured by the reduction of weight aloft!
Mark Prouty
Admiral

Post by Mark Prouty »

DLT wrote:Ok, so how does one 'measure' the effectiveness of the porta-pottie?
Olfactometry is a method used to measure odor concentration. Odorous
air captured from porta-potties is collected in odorless tedlar or PVC bags and brought to the lab for analysis.

Once in the lab the air is processed through the olfactometer and sniff
panel immediately to determine its detection threshold. The threshold is
the dilution level at which it can just be detected by a panel of individuals.
The panelists do not judge whether the odor is weak or strong, or good
or bad. Each panelist only has to determine whether he or she can detect it.

This precedure can be completed at home without the use of an expensive olfactometer. Simply eliminate it in the steps above.
March
Captain

Post by March »

I agree with Mark. I constantly struggle with this dilemma: keep the portapotty sparkling clean so I won't have to fight the odors, and deal with the unseemly after-effects when emptying it as often as possible, on the dock (no volunteers for this action, so the general must go where the troops are reluctant to)? train the crew to use the great outdoors? But then why have the portapotty, to begin with?

Or install a closed-circuit system?
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

IN trailer mode, my life was made a lot easier when I discovered the sanitary sewer connection outside the house ...now I just lift it and dump without having to take the PP into the house....probably violates a bunch of codes ...oh well.....

Im installing a macerator for use offshore this year..Ideally I would love to be able to pump out the tank into the same basin without having to haul the PP out at all...something like an internally threaded through hull that an 'RV' type waste pipe can connect too...