europeans

An area for discussion of sailing-related topics of particular interest to Europeans
bastonjock
Admiral

europeans

Post by bastonjock »

okay guys how many of us are there?
Mason
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: europeans

Post by Mason »

I'm a few miles south of you in Wisbech
bastonjock
Admiral

Post by bastonjock »

were do you keep your boat mason? and hello and welcome to the MAC forum

My boat is down at the river Deben at the moment,im planning on sailing her back to wells before i pull her for the winter,im planning on doing some winter sailing on the nene
RickJ
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 19

Post by RickJ »

Way-hay, our "local" group!

After the Australia forum was created I was thinking of suggesting this, but never got round to it. Obviously Heath et al came to the same conclusion anyway.

I'm on the Isle of Wight, I keep my boat parked mast-up at Island Harbour on the Medina, a couple of miles south of Cowes.
mike uk
First Officer

Post by mike uk »

Well, there are hundreds of us in the UK alone.

But being Brits, it seems most are rather quiet and reserved so there are very few active contributors to this site from the UK.

When I bought my Mac 26X a few years ago, I found this site to be of enormous benefit in providing knowledge and advice. I still very much enjoy the sailing sections.

We do have a UK Owners Association which I have mentioned here a couple of times and some of the UK regular contributors here are members of the Association. The main activity of the Association is to arrange rallies around the coast and occasionally we go over to France or Holland (either sailing over the Channel or going by ferry if the destination is further afield). In fact this year was probably a record because we had at least one event in England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales and France.

The UK Owners Association has had a website for a couple of years and there is a new version "under construction" so that members of the public will be able to find us. It will also have details of our schedule of events, photo gallery, launch site directory, boats for sale, etc. It will also provide a space for member discussions although I do not envisage it competing with this site in terms of market reach :)

Mike
J.Teixeira
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: ARIANE - Europe - Portugal - Douro Valey - Dehler 24 - Bass Fishing

Post by J.Teixeira »

Hi Bastonjock

Thank you for the "warning" about this group.

Good idea...

Sugestion: Invitations and instructions should be sent to recent european members.

Best regards

Jose (a few miles south)
bastonjock
Admiral

Post by bastonjock »

well i suggest that any european MACers that you see online should be pointed at this forum.Ive found the UK Owners web site in the past but unfortunatly its very quiet

you never know guys,maybee one day we could organise a MAC euro rally :)
J.Teixeira
First Officer
Location: ARIANE - Europe - Portugal - Douro Valey - Dehler 24 - Bass Fishing

Post by J.Teixeira »

Is it possible to list the

http://macgregorsailors.com/forum/memberlist.php

bi location and send a massive message ?

Jose
Oskar 26M
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Oskar 26M »

Hi Europeans
I hope you dont mind an Aussie keeping a weather eye on your groups. Some of the stuff you do over there is very interesting, not to mention the enviable places some of you go.

Jose Teixeira's suggestion of sifting through the membership is one way to go. Just before Heath set the Australia group up, I copied the each page of the membership list into a database to find out how many Australians had identified themselves as such. Copying everything was easier than just sifting through the pages, because there were many different ways people had entered information in the "Location" field. It was still a fairly tedious process, but I was laid up with an injured knee at the time so it was ok.
Another good starting point might be to post a request for European location information (in a more public part of the forum) with reference on how to sign up here. A thread like that started the Aussie group rolling.
Good luck. I hope the group really takes off! :) :)
Pacamac-uk
Engineer

Post by Pacamac-uk »

Hi! Thanks for the PM Bastonjock. I struggled a bit to find the forum and then how to enlist but got there in the end....as you all can see. :) I find the forum protocols and chat rooms in general a bit of a black art, seems complicated by the admin for there own strange reasons. Or is that just IT people in general? (Sorry Heath no slur intended you do a great job!)

I'm in Devon based in Exeter and 'PACAMAC' has spent this season on the Dart based at Dartside Quay at Galmpton, a few miles upstream of Dartmouth. It has lived there with the mast up on the trailer. We have finally mastered the art of launching and recovery with only a modicum of swearing including a broken winch strap and severe bruising to both my upper arm and ego! I wish the slipway had a steeper gradient as this would remove the need to do the hitch/rope/unhitch/rope/hitch/unhitch trick performed twice a sailing session!

PACAMAC will returning to base alongside my MG in the warm and cosy garage for the winter in October and for a few repairs (managed to ram the pontoon in a strong wind a couple of weeks ago but we won't dwell on that!) and a couple of mods that require attention, outboard wedges, larger ballast valve/remote control lever and/or similar.

I'm also looking at the possibility, financial sanction permitting, of a furler for the genoa plus a replacement outboard with the luxury of electric start, trim and tilt and a long leg like it's suposed to be!
Hamin' X
Site Admin
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Post by Hamin' X »

J.Teixeira wrote:Is it possible to list the

http://macgregorsailors.com/forum/memberlist.php

bi location and send a massive message ?

Jose
Oskar's answer is the correct one. There is no way to sort the database for particular Locations, because there is not a standardized form of entry. Perhaps in some future iteration of the board, there will be a drop down field for Country. Even then, the past registrations would have to be edited manually.

~Rich
Morimaro
Chief Steward

Post by Morimaro »

Finally able to get round to replying to bastonjack's message.
Currently got 26X in Yarmouth IoW and also editor of the UKMOA newsletter
Cheers
Morris
26X99 hullaballoo
GART
Deckhand

Post by GART »

One more than when you asked the question!
Hello
:) I only joind this week, are there any membes who sail in the Chichester area?
:macx:
bastonjock
Admiral

Post by bastonjock »

i dont know about chichester but the UK macgregor owners have a lot of members around the UK,if you contact morris he can give you all the details
2BonC
First Officer

Post by 2BonC »

Does this turns out to be a British Island group? :D In this case a European Continental Shelf Group would make sense. :wink:

Rainer