Boat purchase and registration ?

An area for discussion of sailing-related topics of particular interest to Canadians
Gater Dunn
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Victoria B.C. Canada N48º25.506 W123º18.178 OakBay Marina

Boat purchase and registration ?

Post by Gater Dunn »

Ok so when I buy a car I get trancfer papers and go to an auto insurance company (ICBC). pay the taxes buy insurance and off I go.
my Question how does it work with a boat and trailer?
Trouts Dream
Captain
Location: Calgary, Alberta--1997 26X--Yamaha 90HP 2 Stroke....grunt, grunt

Re: Boat purchase and registration ?

Post by Trouts Dream »

The boat and trailer are two seperate purchases , make sure you get seperate receipts.
The trailer works a lot like a car purchase and will require some kind of provincial inspection. The GST and possibly the provincial tax for both boat and trailer will be paid at the border.
The boat should be registered at some point (took me 2 years to get to it) and new registration numbers put on it. In Alberta this is done at a provincial registry location.
Other than that is was pretty straight forward.
Gater Dunn
First Officer

Post by Gater Dunn »

Trouts Dream wrote:The boat and trailer are two seperate purchases , make sure you get seperate receipts.
The trailer works a lot like a car purchase and will require some kind of provincial inspection. The GST and possibly the provincial tax for both boat and trailer will be paid at the border.
The boat should be registered at some point (took me 2 years to get to it) and new registration numbers put on it. In Alberta this is done at a provincial registry location.
Other than that is was pretty straight forward.
Ok I am Purchasing a local Mac 26x In B.C. PRIVATE SALE.The trailer I will pay the "HST" (GST & PST combined) when I register it and get insurance.
But with the boat who collects the "HST". The seller or some other gov. agency
don't want to pay twice
Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Re: Tax man

Post by Highlander »

Split up the total cost $ boat , $ trl, $ eng , get three receits one for each
:wink:
J
Phil M
Captain
Sailboat: Other

Post by Phil M »

In Saskatchewan, the provincial tax is paid when you apply for a license for the trailer.

Phil M :macm:
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Re: Tax man Canada

Post by Catigale »

Gator. When you go to register the boat there will be a tax bill due. Interestingly enough, in NY state, if you don't have a motor, you don't have to register the boat at all for inland use. FYI mine costs 60USD for3 years
Gater Dunn
First Officer

Post by Gater Dunn »

Catigale Thanks
I just looked at the time stamp on your post , and have noticed before you are often first to respond to posts, you must be like a MACVAMPIRE or something :D :D :D :evil: Boo in keeping with this weekends theme.
Indulgence
First Officer

Post by Indulgence »

The BC Government monitors boat registrations. If you don't trot on down to Government House
on Pandora St they will assess you and send a bill in the mail. I haven't registered my boat in my
name yet. The tax bill for the privilege of owning my boat in BC comes to $5,200 (It's not a Mac).
I'm not sure yet, but I think I'm going to risk it and not register. I don't mind a proper tax but
this is just a deplorable money grab with no upside I can see.
Laurie
Active
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Active »

This is a bit late for an answer, but someone may be trolling for info: I bought a boat, trailer AND tow vehicle in Alaska June 2011, and imported them to BC via Washington State. (ferry from Juneau to Bellingham - then across border). Paid online for Manufacturer's recall letter for vehicle (GM wanted $270 for truck, Macgregor $0 for trailer), HST payable at border, RIV fee paid online. It was a basket price for the lot and HST (minus consideration for being out of the country for a week) was applied to the lot. No hitches, everything went smooth, both US Office of Export and Canada Customs were quite helpful. I cd not reach US OoE by fax (line always busy), but they readily accepted email. They *MUST* be informed at least 72 hrs in advance, at the specific crossing, of VIN's etc of vehicles/trailers (not boats) being exported.

Just make sure of following: need title dox for all things bought and bill(s) of sale. Insurance is bought from the importer's side of the border; border officials not curious about insurance, but police likely will be. If importing into Canada you need to be aware of the different agencies, who are not interested in each other's issues. They are: Motor Vehicle office for the State of original registration, (you may need a permit, or at least the plates for the vehicles to move them once bought(trailer is a vehicle)), Cdn Registrar of Imported Vehicles, US Vehicle Export Office (part of Customs and Border Protection), Cdn Customs, Insurance agency for your Province, and last but not least, Cdn Department of Transport for registration of the boat in Canada. Since DoT in particular is always :? changing its requirements, check what they are now.
kevinnem
First Officer

Post by kevinnem »

I will be bringing in my boat in 3-4 weeks, I will let you guys know how it goes.