Avoiding UPS Processing/Brokerage Fees

An area for discussion of sailing-related topics of particular interest to Canadians
taime1
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Avoiding UPS Processing/Brokerage Fees

Post by taime1 »

For all those that have been forced by UPS into paying brokerage fees...

I had ordered a Loos gauge this winter for a really good price, then paid for shipping, which still turned out to be a good price. It arrived a few days later and the delivery driver mentioned that there were CoD charges for customs fees. The gauge was about $85, I think shipping was around $20 and then these CoD fees were around $40. I was not happy, so I fired off some hate mail to UPS and also to the vendor, but less hateful. The vendor suggested I try to broker it myself, to avoid the fees. I was determined to never use UPS again.

Recently, I ordered a bimini. Low and behold, it was sent using UPS (I had no choice), so I went through the process of brokering the shipment myself. It was pretty easy, really.

Here is a detailed article on how to do it http://trueler.com/2010/11/24/self-clea ... erage-fee/

Essentially, you need to know that you are not obligated to use their brokerage. Once the package has cleared customs and you are notified it is being delivered to your address, you can email UPS, get a "Commercial Invoice" emailed to you. Bring that and your receipt from the vendor to a local Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) office that deals with "Courrier Low Value Shipment Program" (directory here: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/list ... e49-e.html), I also printed out the shipping delivery status to show CBSA it cleared and was as good as in my possession. I paid the taxes directly to CBSA, they gave me a receipt called a "B-15" and I faxed and emailed it to UPS. Fees have since been waived and the delivery is set for tomorrow.

Anyway, thought this might be useful information.
taime1
First Officer

Re: Avoiding UPS Processing/Brokerage Fees

Post by taime1 »

I got the bimini today! The total cost of the order was around $290. What UPS would have charged me was $102.74. What I paid at the local CBSA office: $12.23. The trip to the CBSA office took maybe 45 minutes. To me, and simply out of principle, this is well worth it.
Phil M
Captain
Sailboat: Other

Post by Phil M »

This is good to keep in mind when dealing with cross boarder Internet shopping, which for Mac owners, is often essential.
Whipsyjac
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: White Rock, B.C. 96 26X Hull#486 96Merc ELPT 50HP 4 Stroke

Post by Whipsyjac »

I've been stung by UPS, puzzling since shipping was prepaid... I've learnt my lesson which has been reinforced by so many. We drove across to a border shipping agency to pick up our Genoa (from Judy) ourselves. We declared it at the border and paid HST only. 1 hour of my time and estimated $70 minimum savings vs UPS. savings are based on previous orders of half the declared value. Glad to know the alternative process, thanks.

Willy
Tedd
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Tedd »

I'm with you on using cross-border receivers, Willy. Two weeks ago I orderd $38 worth of parts from the U.S. The UPS fee was $68, the parts were delivered when no-one was home and left on my front door step, and they were stolen before I even knew they were there. Re-ordered the same parts with shipping to McFrugal's in Point Roberts, and they were there in two days with no shipping fee at all! That's definitely how I'll do it from now on.

Tedd
Crikey
Admiral
Location: Washago, Muskoka, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Singularity.Suzuki DF60A. Boat name: Crikey!

Post by Crikey »

We've used a Kinect UPS store in Lewiston NY in the past, and also, because we got stung that way on a small order recently, will only do the Canadian customs ourselves in the future. It does make you tally up several orders to justify the travel costs over the distance we have to do.
Gone are the days when a full tank of gas and a case of beer would do it! :(
Hugh
Chief Steward

Post by Hugh »

I've used Package Express http://www.packageexpress.com
Get the package drop shipped to them and they ship USPS into Canada.
their handling fees are low.
That way you can avoid the UPS PITA!

These guys are in WA. so you Eastern guys probably could find a similar outfit in New York