Transduce location

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
1-Tntimbo
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Transduce location

Post by 1-Tntimbo »

I am installing a depth finder/chart recorder with a transom mount transducer. I would like some advice on best location for installing.
gabid
Engineer
Sailboat: Other

Re: Transduce location

Post by gabid »

Mine is installed on the starboard side, about 3" below the waterline and mid distance between rudder and the edge of the hull.
Cable is routed together with the steering cable -- through the hole on starboard wall and from aft berth it goes up to the pedestal.
1-Tntimbo
Engineer

Post by 1-Tntimbo »

Looks like a good spot! I will try that.
Thanks
T
JohnCFI
First Officer

Post by JohnCFI »

I mounted mine below the Stbd rear table seat and about 6" from the keel. Works perfectly.
Doug W
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Prairie Home MO - Galactica - 2010 26M with Etec 60

Post by Doug W »

I didn't feel like drilling holes in my brand new hull when I installed mine so I got a large stainless steel hose clamp and mounted mine to the water ballast port which puts the transducer even with the bottom of the hull about a foot port side of the engine. It's worked great there even when I had the boat laying on sand at low tide so I have never moved it--we are on our fifth season with the boat now!

Doug & Angie
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Doug W wrote:I didn't feel like drilling holes in my brand new hull when I installed mine so I got a large stainless steel hose clamp and mounted mine to the water ballast port which puts the transducer even with the bottom of the hull about a foot port side of the engine. It's worked great there even when I had the boat laying on sand at low tide so I have never moved it--we are on our fifth season with the boat now!

Doug & Angie
Mine came mounted on the transom flush with the bottom of the boat. However, if I were doing it, Doug's method would be the way to go. It addition to no new holes, it is protected against grounding, especially when backed into a beach.
mrron_tx
First Officer

Post by mrron_tx »

I mounted Mine inside , port side where the bilge meets the ballast tank. Already had a Hummingbird transducer located stbd @ the waterline. They both seem to agree with each other + or - a bit. :) Ron.
1-Tntimbo
Engineer

Post by 1-Tntimbo »

I am also a bit reluctant to start drilling on my hull. I will try Dougs idea first., it sounds good to me, thanks for all the input.
T
Wayne nicol
Captain
Location: Queen CHarlotte Islands,B.C.---------------- lightning white 2012 26M "Merrylegs"

Post by Wayne nicol »

on my other fish boat i made a ali. bracket that bolted to the transom about a foot above the waterline- that extended into the water- and it was attached to it.
on my :macm: , i got a "shoot thru the hull" transducer( not to be confused with a thru hull transducer), and it is mounted portside , mid ships right next to the ballast tank.
works perfectly- not worrying about it being damaged, or kicking up, or getting kelp around it etc etc.
Bluenote
Just Enlisted

Post by Bluenote »

Just a thought. I used to own an 2003M with a stern mounted unit - it was peeled off by some lake debris. I mounted a depth finder on my 95 Santana 2023C up in the foredeck ahead of the ballast tank. Not sure if that is an option on the Macs in terms of where the tank starts - perhaps somewhere forward port or starboard would also work. I definitely like having it mounted in the bow as it gives a little more warning on the approaching depth. I just used silicone 3" from the centreline where the hull is less thick.
Paul
Bluenote
Just Enlisted

Post by Bluenote »

Check that. I meant beneath the fore berth.
Paul
Gater Dunn
First Officer
Location: Victoria B.C. Canada N48º25.506 W123º18.178 OakBay Marina

Post by Gater Dunn »

I think JohnCFI and mrron_tx are talking about the internal puck transducer.
JohnCFI
First Officer

Post by JohnCFI »

Gater Dunn wrote:I think JohnCFI and mrron_tx are talking about the internal puck transducer.
Correct, I would not be happy drilling the hull :cry:
Wayne nicol
Captain
Location: Queen CHarlotte Islands,B.C.---------------- lightning white 2012 26M "Merrylegs"

Post by Wayne nicol »

just make sure you get the "shoot thru the hull" transducer.
the "thru hull" transducer requires cutting a big hole in the hull.

when i was ordering mine there was a lot of confusion between me and the saleman- but luckily we got the terminology sorted out. :)
1-Tntimbo
Engineer

Post by 1-Tntimbo »

Just finished installing the transducer bracket on my 26X, Turns out the mounting bracket was pre-formed to fit a 3 1/2" pipe, (same as my ballast intake) it even had a slot for a hose clamp.

First time I had taken time to inspect the bracket since recieving it from Lowrance. Made the little project very simple.
T