Tattoo Yachts

Dimitri-2000X-Tampa
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Tampa, Florida 2000 Mercury BigFoot 50HP 4-Stroke on 26X hull# 3575.B000

Re: Tattoo Yachts

Post by Dimitri-2000X-Tampa »

You are a good sport Kevin (and a lucky man too cause I can see what you mean even without any imagination) :D
Dimitri-2000X-Tampa
Admiral
Location: Tampa, Florida 2000 Mercury BigFoot 50HP 4-Stroke on 26X hull# 3575.B000

Hi Kurz, where do you sail near Zurich? I just flew over the Alps not too far from Zurich a few days ago on my way from Athens to London, what a beautiful place..although looks a bit cold. Maybe I'll post some of the pictures I took from the air..including one very large lake in the middle of the mountains...maybe that is even where you sail at.

And btw, if you are heeling over enough to worry about the motor coming out of the water or not getting enough oil...then there is enough wind to sail without a motor!! :D
kurz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by kurz »

Dimitri-2000X-Tampa wrote:Hi Kurz, where do you sail near Zurich? I just flew over the Alps not too far from Zurich a few days ago on my way from Athens to London, what a beautiful place..although looks a bit cold. Maybe I'll post some of the pictures I took from the air..including one very large lake in the middle of the mountains...maybe that is even where you sail at.
Wow, thats cool. Show your photo!
I sail in the lake of Zürich.

And next week I have the chance to move 800km south into the adreatic see/ Croatia :-)
Dimitri-2000X-Tampa
Admiral

Well, ok..I'll be guilty of contributing even further taking this thread OT..lol..but since you asked..here are a few pics I took...the lake shows up in the first one:

Too bad Photobucket doesn't have geotagging yet since I think two of these pics are tagged by my iphone (shh, don't tell anyone I took my phone off of airplane mode so the GPS would record the position) 8)

See if this URL shows the starting and stopping position of the airplane for all three of these photos....

http://localhost:4321/map/map.html?apiV ... edia=false

You will have to zoom out somewhat to see both positions...it looks like the big lake is called Lake Garda (Lago di Garda)...

Oh, that last link won't work unless you are running geotag....try this one instead:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=45.9 ... a=ltm&z=11

Just ignore the driving directions for the 82 minute drive...the airplane flew straight from point A to point B in about 2 minutes! :o I guess this is about 150 miles SE of Zurich and not quite in Switzerland yet...isn't technology fun!
LMSharp
Just Enlisted

Post by LMSharp »

I've been off line for a while so you may all have moved on but I wanted to go back to agree with Kevin. Never ever ever (ever) run with a partial ballast tank. Mast up, mast down, no matter. It has to be full or empty. Always!

We are installing a simple Whale shower at the rear of the cockpit as an option. It is supplied by the standard water pressure system. For warm showers, though, that Zodi Extreme looks brilliant. What a great idea!
seahouse
Admiral
Location: Niagara at Lake Erie, Ontario. 2011 MacM, 60 hp E-Tec

Post by seahouse »

Thanks for the update, Laura. Sorry we are getting a bit off-topic on you.

This should not be a problem with any 2-stroke engine, unless extreme. This might be a problem with some older (maybe even antique) 4-cycle outboard engines. This is very much a concern on larger boats with diesel engines (wet sump), like the one I mentioned doing it on above (a Beneteau), which is probably which prompted your question Kurz?
:wink:

Yes I asked about my Mercury 60HP outboard 2011. Why it is no problem, do they not have wet sump oil seservoir? At least I could control oil pressure in the display maybe.
It's outside my area of expertise; but to respond to your question, Kurz, but not really answer it :)

I'm not familiar with your particular engine (maybe someone else is?), but if it's a 2-cycle then you don't likely have a worry - the oil will condense on the colder parts and lubricate them even if the engine is tilted sideways. A 4-cycle may have a wet sump, but I would think that one as new as yours (if it's 4-cycle?) would be designed to run with some sidewise heeling or tilt. Of course even some (most) modern passenger auto engines can become oil starved (and destroyed) if they are continuously run in a circle. It's an issue that race cars engines invariably have to address. Fuel starvation would be evident to you if it was an issue.

If you have an oil pressure gauge to keep an eye on that puts you in a good situation, but some oil lights can indicate a problem later than you would like. I would ask Mercury, the manufacturer of your engine to be certain about running sideways for long periods, though, because of the consequences of getting this wrong…

:wink:
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Since I am on the trailer when stored I always keep the engine in the DOWN position so that if by chance I get so fat that I climb the back ladder before I put the jacks under the rear of the trailer I don't bounce the tongue up into the air.

How fat would I need to get???

Don't know but the motor will hit the ground before the ladder or the boat does I figure if I keep it in the down position. (MAN I'm getting fat!)
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

BOAT wrote:Since I am on the trailer when stored I always keep the engine in the DOWN position so that if by chance I get so fat that I climb the back ladder before I put the jacks under the rear of the trailer I don't bounce the tongue up into the air.

How fat would I need to get???

Don't know but the motor will hit the ground before the ladder or the boat does I figure if I keep it in the down position. (MAN I'm getting fat!)
So do I now call U Doe Boy ! :P
PS I put on 10# this winter that I gotta lose before sailing season starts maybe in aug. when all the friggin Ice is gone :? :evil:

J 8)
capncarp
Engineer

Post by capncarp »

Looks like they lost their knitch market. $46'000. Serious?

Capncarp,
99 :macx:
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

Well if you get rid of all Rogers cost saving measures like the cheap gel coat, regular blister prone resin, plain interior, beginners sails and my personal fave that plug for the ballast vent, then that's about what the boats going to cost.
Mine cost 32,000 with tax and tag, out the door. It was a demo that had been sailed a few time before I bought it. I added probably ten grand of other options like interior storage, shelves, made out of teak, better water tank, upgraded sails from Judy, different nonskid, thicker fiberglass in places on the deck, two piece hatch boards and skegs on the bottom for easier steering under power.
Things just cost money. Fortunately these boats are available used, often for a super low price and with all kinds of stuff already installed.
Ix
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

‘boat’ was actually a real live $22,900.00 factory no extras boat. They had a special then because they were selling it with a furling main. I did not want the furling main so in exchange for the furling main they gave me an aluminum trailer, a furling genny, all the cushions, a sunshade Bimini, ladder, tanks, batteries, and a bunch of other stuff that is usually extra. I paid extra to have a radio and a stove installed. (They were just finishing up the stove on that day I came to the factory to pick up the boat). I had been to the factory a few times before picking up ‘boat’.

Some of the stuff Ixneigh said would increase cost but not all: The extra thick fiberglass part is not what you think. I watched them build boats and I noticed they were actually REMOVING most of the resin and just letting it go on the floor to be thrown out! I watched the workers spray huge amounts of resin on part of a mold what was covered in glass fabric, and they proceeded to squeegee out nearly every last ounce of resin they just sprayed into the glass matt!! Just threw it away on a big sheet of cardboard on the floor!! They did this to parts too using these huge metal tables covered in cardboard! Soak the part in resin and then SQUEEGEE OUT ALL THE RESIN! I said to Mike “hey! What a waste! Why are they throwing away all that resin!” Mike said the way they resin glass is MORE expensive than the way other company’s do it because they try to achieve the lightest possible boat. They remove all the excess resin that only adds weight and not strength. He said it’s just bulk that makes the boat heavier but adds no strength. He said on a regular keel boat the weight does not hurt anything so they don’t waste labor removing it.

A real custom interior with residential finishes is going to be about ten grand – I know, I have built a lot of motorhomes. Wood joinery is the single most expensive part of a boat second only to the engine.

A good water system should cost at least 1000 if it’s done right (piped for hot and cold).

You could buy a bare hull 26 foot boat from most any other boat company for about 23 to 25 grand if they were willing to sell you just the bare hull with no interior or plumbing of rigging, etc. But they won’t sell you a bare hull. A bare hull is not really that expensive to build – there is actually a good 30% profit to make selling bare hulls IF you can sell a LOT of them. If not, it’s better to outfit them and charge 200% profits on the whole build like all the other builders do.

When you buy a boat from other builders more than halve of your money is going to the builder’s profit. There is no volume savings or economy of scale when you buy “hull number 6” late in the year like most other boat owners do.

The MAC is a BLANK – if you know the surfboard industry you would understand the concept – some companies just sell BLANKS for other people to finish. The BLANKS are cheap and easy to make but they also become very high end expensive boards in the hands of a good finisher/shaper. A board is like a suit – a good one even off the shelf needs to be tailored.

46 grand for the Tattoo? It’s a tossup to me – I would need to see the interior and the plumbing and so forth. If the build out is good enough I guess it would work. I agree that a better gel coat would be nice – does the boat have a better one now?
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

capncarp wrote:Looks like they lost their knitch market. $46'000. Serious?

Capncarp,
99 :macx:
Where does this $46k number come from?

On the tattoo website

Still very close to what Roger sold 'em for. And hopefully with a better finish and gelcoat.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

That price seems very reasonable to me.
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Interesting point. Does that include an outboard? I'm thinking "no". :(

http://www.supersail.com/tattoo-26-price-sheet/
BOAT wrote:That price seems very reasonable to me.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Come on, be real. All sailboat people know they must get their own outboard.

The only people that get a motor with their sailboat are those people who buy those big boats with the diesel engines that are built into the insides of the boat. Whole different class of boat. I have a friend with a 38 foot boat like that but he can't even get 7 grand for the boat because the motor is all rotted out. When the motor is built into the stomach of the boat like that it constitutes a huge expense and also a huge depreciation factor.

On the bare hull 'boat' I got from Mike there will be NO depreciation factor. If I ever decide to sell 'boat' the bare hull will still be worth 22 grand. It's all the other stuff that loses value and deteriorates. I will never get what I paid for the motor. That motor on the end of 'boat' end up being an expensive boat anchor after many years that is worthless, (except as a boat anchor). Old sailboat motors make great boat anchors.

If I owned a sailboat company like the MagGregors I would avoid going into the motor business too.