Tattoo Yachts

Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Tattoo Yachts

Post by Russ »

BOAT wrote:Oceanside Harbor - B dock
Don't want to derail this Tattoo thread, but what else is wrong with it? A 80s era Catalina 38 is a sweet boat.
If in good shape and I could transport it, I'd buy it for $7k. I'd have to built some kind of launch trailer for it, but what a nice classic style boat. I believe they used Universal diesel motors. Plop in a new Yanmar for $8k and you have a great boat.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Sounds good - I'm not going to buy a Tattoo 26 but if I ever decide to get a Tattoo 22 I will call Bill.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

RussMT wrote:
Don't want to derail this Tattoo thread, but what else is wrong with it? A 80s era Catalina 38 is a sweet boat.
If in good shape and I could transport it, I'd buy it for $7k. I'd have to built some kind of launch trailer for it, but what a nice classic style boat. I believe they used Universal diesel motors. Plop in a new Yanmar for $8k and you have a great boat.
Beats me - I will try to find out what publication he is advertizing in so you can look it up.
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by dlandersson »

est moi :)
BOAT wrote:
RussMT wrote:
Beats me - I will try to find out what publication he is advertizing in so you can look it up.
yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob »

When we were looking we were expecting for a fully outfitted M for just over 50K USD.
DaveB
Admiral
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB »

Russ, doesn't work that way. I spent $15,000 rebuilding my 1997 Mac. X.
Back in 1980 Bought a 1965 Pearson 35 Alberg for 30 K and spent $35K in parts to upgrade.
That would amount to about $220,000 in todays current value.
Called blowing smoke, or work the boat you love.
I took that Alberg half way around the World for 3 years. It's the only dream that keeps me living.
I am still working on the Mac. New Anchor roller that holds the Fortress11 anchor in place all the time. And rewired and replace bow running light with quick connect 12 inch. The Anchor Roller is the Windline URM-2. Works great on the MacX.
I don't often run at night so I oped for the quick release 12 inch pole light for bow light to clear the anchor.
Those who want to install the URM-2 anchor roller on the MacX1997 .
You need to super glue a Stainless washer on the Locknut and keep it in a small visegrip so another on deck bolts it down. 3m4200 is used around mounting plate and 2 inches from head of bolt to seal everything.
Thru deck is min. 3/8 inch thick and all that's needed is small washer.
Dave

RussMT wrote:
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

A guy anchored near me bought an old used Pearson 35 huge deep keel. Years ago. He's still working on it. New engine new sails new rigging, tearing out all the junk the first owner installed that he deemed not worthy. It never ends. And takes a lot of time even to do a good job fixing little stuff, like a bad light. That could end up taking all day, or all week if the reason the light don't work is because the sockets bad, from a leaking deck fitting above it, that has crappy 30 year old bolts that are corroded. Oh and once you get THAT off you see the fitting has a crack in it from where something hit it, now good luck finding a replacement...
Ix
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

What DaveB sounds right to me Russ - I think you guys russ and ixneg might be a little off on this. That boat Dave had (the Pearson) is an old school build - a real Naval architect design with a pencil and paper and a lot of math. That boat can go anywhere around the world in safety and comfort even at 60 years old if it's kept up and even indefinably if someone does the maintenance. But that's the rub, the boat will be cheap if it's rotted out and needs work because the outfit on those boats is in the 90 grand range. I have no experience myself but I can say that 80% of the boats here in my harbor are like that - they are big old school ocean boats in various phases of reconditioning - a lot of 80 year old boats here in like new condition, and a lot that are not. The people tell me they practically give away boats that are in bad shape because it is so expensive to refit. BUT! In the hands of a good new owner and a real refitting these boats can travel the entire world. The folks here in this marina go to Hawaii all the time.

The verdict is still out on weather or not a Hunter or some others can last that long because the first Hunters were built less than 40 years ago, (I'm not sure the first models are still afloat).

The Pearson boats are still out there in big numbers and probably still will be out there 30 years from now when they are over one hundred years old, (They stopped building them in the late 80's).
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Repowering a maintained boat isn't difficult. Restoring a neglected boat is a PITA. I've seen people try to restore old wooden boats for YEARS. No way.

I'm most familiar with 80s era sailboats. Fiberglass is fairly indestructible. Balsa core is another thing.
If I lived in California where I could sail all year long, I might consider spending $250k on a nice new Beneteau like Matt's. But for a few months out of the year, I woulnd't mind having a larger boat that the admiral can take a shower in. Dropping less than $50k on that could be justified. There are lots of Catalinas, Hunters etc. out there for cheap that are in decent enough condition.
I've been looking at this boat. A Peterson 34. Deep keel, VERY fast boat and I've seen it on the lake and it's in good condition. These things were made with kevlar and raced to Hawaii.
Launching these deep keel boats on a ramp is interesting.

\Threadjack

Now, someone needs to buy that new Tattoo 26 from Bill. What a deal!
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Will that boat tip over if you go around a turn too fast when towing it?
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

BOAT wrote:Will that boat tip over if you go around a turn too fast when towing it?
It didn't when the owner towed it 800 miles over mountain passes to the San Juans. I guess 5k pounds of lead in the keel keeps it upright.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

holy smokes
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

How about a 32' Tattoo to compete with Seaward?

I'd love to see Ms. Sharp be so successful that instead of a 22 they build a 32.
capncarp
Engineer

Post by capncarp »

Sorry about that Russ. the 46K comes from boatsales.com/au. Didn't notice the au. 2014 Tattoo, 46,4.Australian. Also has anyone paid even close to 20 for a new X or M? Wow, I paid 14 for my new 99X.

capncarp,
99X
Y.B.Normal
First Officer

Post by Y.B.Normal »

BOAT wrote:
dlandersson wrote:It's pretty clear I'm coming to you when its time to get a new boat. 8)
Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL wrote:I have one new 2014 well-equipped Tattoo 26M for $33,000 for my Christmas, Hanukkah, Festivus, Boxing Day, Kwanzaa, Winter-Solstice, Holiday, Anniversary, Year-end, Boat Show Special.
It has the 60 HP Evinrude OBM, deluxe trailer w/brakes, spare tire, jib sail w/hanks, sheets, blocks, mast raiser, head, cockpit seat cushions, boarding ladder, dual batters w/switch, BOATS 4 SAIL Rig Pack w/ halyards aft, my EZ Cleats, rope clutches, upgraded blocks, mainsail cover, headsail bag, Bimini top, etc.
$33,000 out the door price. You don't have to pay me any tax unless you register it in Wisconsin. Picked up at my Temporary World Headquarters in S.E. Wisconsin.
Contact me for info.
- Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL
Bills price is pretty good, I must say I beat his price when I got 'boat' because I got a radio and stove and a few other things thrown in, but still his price with motor is pretty good.
boat - Bill's price IS very good. Remember, your boat only had to go to Oceanside, Bill's are delivered to Wisconsin.
PLUS you get Bill's fantastic knowledge and service. Rather than load up the boat with options and useless junk like some dealers, HIS attitude is that you should buy the basic boat and a few options that make sailing it easier (lines led aft, etc.), THEN buy additional sails and equipment only if you need it. He's helped me out several times, and I'm not even the original owner. That's the reason people drive from many states away to buy from him.