Tattoo 26 Production Suspended, factory relocating

Moderators: Catigale, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore

Post Reply
Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL
Captain
Posts: 915
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:28 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Oconomowoc, WI
Contact:

Tattoo 26 Production Suspended, factory relocating

Post by Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:31 am

I got a letter from Tattoo Yachts saying they "have decided to cease production of the Tattoo 26 to focus on the Tattoo 22.
They also "have to relocate" and "The factory will be closed until we find a better location".

I have one, last new, well-equipped 2014 Tattoo in stock, at a very good price. Details in Classifieds.

Thanks - Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL

...mod note..edited title to try to reflect status.

User avatar
kmclemore
Site Admin
Posts: 5594
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:24 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Re: Tattoo 26 Production to Cease

Post by kmclemore » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:40 am

Well. There's some surprising news!

SENCMac26x
First Officer
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:44 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Carolina Beach, NC

Re: Tattoo 26 Production to Cease

Post by SENCMac26x » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:50 am

Their facebook page said they were relocating because they had outgrown their factory and that they had several 26's in stock for buyers.

They also showed pictures of the first 22 hull being pulled out of the mold.

I didn't see anything about the 26's being completely EOL'ed.

I hope they're not putting all their eggs in the 22 basket. I think there obviously is a place in the world for the 26 foot trailerable boats.

User avatar
RussMT
Admiral
Posts: 5527
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:01 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Bozeman, Montana "Luna Azul" 2008 M 70hp Suzi

Re: Tattoo 26 Production to Cease

Post by RussMT » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:18 pm

Sounds like a pause not cessation of production.
Tattoo Yachts wrote:Tattoo Yachts is relocating as we have outgrown our facility. We will be out of production until we have our new location set up.

In the interim we will be completing the Tattoo 22. We pulled the first Tattoo 22 hull and deck out of the molds last week and they look even better than we had hoped. Here’s a first look at the hull.

A number of our dealers have Tattoo 26 Power Sailers available in stock, so we have set up a new page http://tattooyachts.com/where-can-i-get-a-tattoo-26/

Stay tuned for updates. Happy 2015 from all of us at Tattoo Yachts!
Image

Bill, what EXACTLY does your letter say. Let's not get rumors started from incomplete info.

User avatar
dlandersson
Admiral
Posts: 3471
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:00 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Chicago metro, USA

Re: Tattoo 26 Production to Cease

Post by dlandersson » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:34 pm

I'm guessing the price just went up. 8)

Sounds like a "p" problem - proper prior planning prevents poor performance - they weren't at their location very long. :wink:
Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL wrote:I got a letter from Tattoo Yachts saying they "have decided to cease production of the Tattoo 26 to focus on the Tattoo 22.
They also "have to relocate" and "The factory will be closed until we find a better location".

I have one, last new, well-equipped 2014 Tattoo in stock, at a very good price. Details in Classifieds.

Thanks - Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL

User avatar
dlandersson
Admiral
Posts: 3471
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:00 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Chicago metro, USA

Re: Tattoo 26 Production to Cease

Post by dlandersson » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:35 pm

dlandersson wrote:I'm guessing the price just went up. 8)

Sounds like a "p" problem - proper prior planning prevents poor performance - they weren't at their location very long. :wink:
Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL wrote:I got a letter from Tattoo Yachts saying they "have decided to cease production of the Tattoo 26 to focus on the Tattoo 22.
They also "have to relocate" and "The factory will be closed until we find a better location".

I have one, last new, well-equipped 2014 Tattoo in stock, at a very good price. Details in Classifieds.

Thanks - Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL
If there's a demand/service concern - how are they at recruiting dealers? Anyone know?

Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL
Captain
Posts: 915
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:28 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Oconomowoc, WI
Contact:

Re: Tattoo 26 Production to Cease

Post by Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:37 pm

The letter from Tattoo Yachts, 1/6/15 said "After a lot of discussion we have decided to cease production of the Tattoo 26 to focus on the Tattoo 22."
"the 26 tooling is well beyond its useful life"
The rest is pretty much on their website, or info to dealers about letting them know if we have boats in stock, parts wanted, etc.
- Bill

User avatar
RobertB
Admiral
Posts: 1867
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:42 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Clarksville, MD

Re: Tattoo 26 Production to Cease

Post by RobertB » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:42 pm

Looks like my resale value just went up

User avatar
RussMT
Admiral
Posts: 5527
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:01 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Bozeman, Montana "Luna Azul" 2008 M 70hp Suzi

Re: Tattoo 26 Production to Cease

Post by RussMT » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:55 pm

Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL wrote:The letter from Tattoo Yachts, 1/6/15 said "After a lot of discussion we have decided to cease production of the Tattoo 26 to focus on the Tattoo 22."
"the 26 tooling is well beyond its useful life"
The rest is pretty much on their website, or info to dealers about letting them know if we have boats in stock, parts wanted, etc.
- Bill
Very interesting. Tooling, meaning what, molds. I recall Mike Inmon stating that when the molds were in California that they were in excellent condition. Of course that could change easily.

If this is the end of the 26, it's a big mistake IMO. The demand certainly seems to be there. Not sure I'd put eggs in a 22' basket.

'Course it could be a fantastic publicity stunt to boost demand while they pause and move to a new building. Hoping that's the case.

--Russ

SENCMac26x
First Officer
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:44 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Carolina Beach, NC

Re: Tattoo 26 Production to Cease

Post by SENCMac26x » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:17 pm

"Tattoo Yachts is relocating as we have outgrown our facility. We will be out of production until we have our new location set up.

In the interim we will be completing the Tattoo 22. We pulled the first Tattoo 22 hull and deck out of the molds last week and they look even better than we had hoped.

A number of our dealers have Tattoo 26 Power Sailers available in stock, so we have set up a new page “Where can I get a Tattoo 26?”

Stay tuned for updates. Happy 2015 from all of us at Tattoo Yachts!"

I wonder why they don't mention on their website they're discontinuing the 26

User avatar
dlandersson
Admiral
Posts: 3471
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:00 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Chicago metro, USA

Re: Tattoo 26 Production to Cease

Post by dlandersson » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:29 pm

:D
RobertB wrote:Looks like my resale value just went up

User avatar
dlandersson
Admiral
Posts: 3471
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:00 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Chicago metro, USA

Re: Tattoo 26 Production to Cease

Post by dlandersson » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:30 pm

Like "New Coke"? :wink:
RussMT wrote:'Course it could be a fantastic publicity stunt to boost demand while they pause and move to a new building. Hoping that's the case.

--Russ

User avatar
RussMT
Admiral
Posts: 5527
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:01 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Bozeman, Montana "Luna Azul" 2008 M 70hp Suzi

Re: Tattoo 26 Production to Cease

Post by RussMT » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:31 pm

dlandersson wrote::D
RobertB wrote:Looks like my resale value just went up
+1

If they are no more, existing boats will have more demand.

User avatar
dlandersson
Admiral
Posts: 3471
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:00 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Chicago metro, USA

Re: Tattoo 26 Production to Cease

Post by dlandersson » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:02 pm

Works for me - I gots mine. :P
RussMT wrote:
dlandersson wrote::D
RobertB wrote:Looks like my resale value just went up
+1

If they are no more, existing boats will have more demand.

User avatar
Ixneigh
Admiral
Posts: 1937
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:00 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Key largo Florida

Re: Tattoo 26 Production to Cease

Post by Ixneigh » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:07 pm

That's a very pretty hull. They could make any number of different boats from that. Micro trawler, sport runabout, power sailor, cuddy cabin launch. Nice.
Ix.

Wonder if those tooling could be aquiered? Custom layup anyone?

Post Reply