I need advice on a buying a 26x!!!!!!!!!!

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
capncarp
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: I need advice on a buying a 26x!!!!!!!!!!

Post by capncarp »

My April 99X also has the ladder. The 99 upgrades include bigger tank valve, vent valve moved forward, ladder, stainless steel rudder brackets, new style rudders and chrome cleats. The hatch sliders changed to polymer (white ).I thought the deck was changed from balsa to fiberglass matting but I'm not 100% sure. Oh, and the interior cushion patterns were changed.
Capncarp,
99 Trawler
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

capncarp wrote:My April 99X also has the ladder. The 99 upgrades include bigger tank valve, vent valve moved forward, ladder, stainless steel rudder brackets, new style rudders and chrome cleats. The hatch sliders changed to polymer (white ).I thought the deck was changed from balsa to fiberglass matting but I'm not 100% sure.
Mine has all of that, except for the ladder. Wish I had it and not the step (no vent under it - I store the registration in a water tight box inside it), but it's not enough of a bother to actually do anything about.
capncarp
Engineer

Post by capncarp »

Tom,
I understand. The ladder makes a big diff though. I like to stand on it and lean on the sliding hatch. Also I don't worry about sliding with wet feet. One of the best mods I did was to put on a larger helm wheel. Wow, huge difference in the ease of steering. I believe it is 18".
Capncarp,
99 Trawler
Cougar
Engineer

Post by Cougar »

capncarp wrote:My April 99X also has the ladder. The 99 upgrades include bigger tank valve, vent valve moved forward, ladder, stainless steel rudder brackets, new style rudders and chrome cleats. The hatch sliders changed to polymer (white ).I thought the deck was changed from balsa to fiberglass matting but I'm not 100% sure. Oh, and the interior cushion patterns were changed.
Capncarp,
99 Trawler
You're right. The deck was changed from balsa to fiberglass sometime in '99. It's the only feature that I'm not sure about. But how can you tell without extensive drilling?
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

Based on the article, I'd be reluctant to get a pre-99 X.
The 99 improvements are certainly a plus, but I would like to recommend that pre-99's not be dismissed out of hand. Notwithstanding that upgrades, in general, are a plus in any boat/car/truck, etc., the pre-99's still have most of the positive attributes of all Mac models. I have a 1998, which I purchased in 2003 from the original owner. He had made several mods to the boat based on the 99 upgrades, most notable was moving the vent forward and upgrading the steering. but I still have the old style rudders and the original aluminum rudder brackets. I have grounded about half a dozen times, even bent one of the brackets the last time, but got it straightened. Rudders have needed some fiberglass repairs from time to time, but not that difficult to work on. I actually like my rudders because they stick straight up when out of the water and don't hang half way down like all the newer ones. Just a preference of mine. 8) Haven't had problem one with deck strength. All my decks are ship shape, and my boat has been uncovered, mostly at a slip, in the water, in Florida, for the eleven years I have owned the boat. My point is that if you fixate on all the upgrades, you can miss having a really nice boat at a reasonable cost. I don't think you have to ignore the older X's. There is still of good sailing left in them. :wink:
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

My kids will certainly be glad to hear that. :)
Herschel wrote:
Based on the article, I'd be reluctant to get a pre-99 X.
The 99 improvements are certainly a plus, but I would like to recommend that pre-99's not be dismissed out of hand. Notwithstanding that upgrades, in general, are a plus in any boat/car/truck, etc., the pre-99's still have most of the positive attributes of all Mac models. I have a 1998, which I purchased in 2003 from the original owner. He had made several mods to the boat based on the 99 upgrades, most notable was moving the vent forward and upgrading the steering. but I still have the old style rudders and the original aluminum rudder brackets. I have grounded about half a dozen times, even bent one of the brackets the last time, but got it straightened. Rudders have needed some fiberglass repairs from time to time, but not that difficult to work on. I actually like my rudders because they stick straight up when out of the water and don't hang half way down like all the newer ones. Just a preference of mine. 8) Haven't had problem one with deck strength. All my decks are ship shape, and my boat has been uncovered, mostly at a slip, in the water, in Florida, for the eleven years I have owned the boat. My point is that if you fixate on all the upgrades, you can miss having a really nice boat at a reasonable cost. I don't think you have to ignore the older X's. There is still of good sailing left in them. :wink:
1-Tntimbo
Engineer

Post by 1-Tntimbo »

I went through the same decision making process as you about a year ago.

Can't really add much to what has been said here, but after seeing everything and researching all this info, I decided to limit my selection to 2000 or newer. Many 99's have most or all of the upgrades, but being new to sailing and this type of boat, I went with 2000 model to be certain.
T