EV-100 Auto Pilot Install

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
kadet
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Brisbane, Australia. 2008M "Wicked Wave" Yamaha T60

Re: EV-100 Auto Pilot Install

Post by kadet »

It's really a protocol that has been around forever call DeviceNet.
The protocol is based on the Society of Automotive Engineers standard SAE J1939 but the Marine extensions to the protocol are defined by and is controlled by the National Marine Electronics Association (NMEA)

It's kind of like PC v Mac they do the same thing based on the same technology and they are both computers but they are very different. DeviceNet and NMEA 2000 are both CAN Bus networks based on the SAE J1939 protocol but are very different.

It has nothing to do with lawyers it's all to do with the implementation and interpretation of the standards by the developers :).
kadet
Admiral

Post by kadet »

This time lag is a killer sorry for all the posts in reply :(
jstyers
Chief Steward

Post by jstyers »

Fellas, I'm simple-minded, can we dumb this down to my level? I have the Raymarine EV-100 installed and had an existing chartplotter with an NMEA 0183 connection. Can someone explain to me exactly what I need to do to connect them? I'd really appreciate it.

BOAT, brilliant install of that actuator. I'm seriously considering pulling mine out and going with your install method.

Jeff
grady
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by grady »

jstyers wrote:Fellas, I'm simple-minded, can we dumb this down to my level? I have the Raymarine EV-100 installed and had an existing chartplotter with an NMEA 0183 connection. Can someone explain to me exactly what I need to do to connect them? I'd really appreciate it.

BOAT, brilliant install of that actuator. I'm seriously considering pulling mine out and going with your install method.

Jeff
NMEA 0183 will have a talk line and a listen line. Look at your installation manual for both components, connect the talk line(NMEA 0183 out) from the GPS to the listen line(NMEA 0183 in) on the EV-100. Make sure if they do not have a dedicated ground both components are on the same ground.
kadet
Admiral

Post by kadet »

jstyers wrote:Fellas, I'm simple-minded, can we dumb this down to my level? I have the Raymarine EV-100 installed and had an existing chartplotter with an NMEA 0183 connection. Can someone explain to me exactly what I need to do to connect them? I'd really appreciate it.

Jeff
Looking at the EV-100 manual there is no 0183 ports you would have to use a 0183 to 2000 gateway like an Antisense NGW-1. Even then there is no guarantee it will work because of Raymarine's use of propitiatory statements your chartplotter may not be 100% supported.

Raymarine's support forums are full of issues between Garmin and Raymarine products not playing nicely together. The newer EV systems are suppose to be 2000 certified and were suppose to work with all other 2000 devices but as RobertB has found it may not be so.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Hey Kadet! is there a time lag because it takes the sun so long to get here from Australia every morning? How long do you have to wait?
jstyers
Chief Steward

Post by jstyers »

kadet wrote:
Looking at the EV-100 manual there is no 0183 ports you would have to use a 0183 to 2000 gateway like an Antisense NGW-1. Even then there is no guarantee it will work because of Raymarine's use of propitiatory statements your chartplotter may not be 100% supported.

Raymarine's support forums are full of issues between Garmin and Raymarine products not playing nicely together. The newer EV systems are suppose to be 2000 certified and were suppose to work with all other 2000 devices but as RobertB has found it may not be so.
Thanks Kadet, just what I needed. I think I'll just defer integrating the autopilot and chartplotter until the chartplotter dies and I upgrade it. Those converters are a pretty expensive solution.

Jeff
RobertB
Admiral

Post by RobertB »

Currently, the Garmin Chartplotter and the RayMarine AP kind of integrate. The AP will display speed and depth, just not accept track data. This means, I can see my speed and depth when full screen on the chartplotter and I can hold a heading, I just cannot have the AP follow a course set by the chartplotter. I would like it all to work but what I have now actually makes it enjoyable to spend hours on end sailing. Being able to sit back and talk to my wife while just glancing at where we are going and how the sails are holding the wind makes for a much more relaxing experience. This alone makes this the most valuable mod I have made to date (and I have made quite a few).
kadet
Admiral

Post by kadet »

RobertB wrote:Currently, the Garmin Chartplotter and the RayMarine AP kind of integrate. The AP will display speed and depth, just not accept track data. This means, I can see my speed and depth when full screen on the chartplotter and I can hold a heading, I just cannot have the AP follow a course set by the chartplotter. I would like it all to work but what I have now actually makes it enjoyable to spend hours on end sailing. Being able to sit back and talk to my wife while just glancing at where we are going and how the sails are holding the wind makes for a much more relaxing experience. This alone makes this the most valuable mod I have made to date (and I have made quite a few).
True I rarely use the track function anyway normally steering a course or wind angle. Even when working the track function does not automatically follow a route only sounding an alarm at each waypoint to tell you to change to the next one manually 8)
kadet
Admiral

Post by kadet »

BOAT wrote:Hey Kadet! is there a time lag because it takes the sun so long to get here from Australia every morning? How long do you have to wait?
Yes the Sun starts here first then we send you the faded one we used first. Time difference to California is 17hours.
Last edited by kadet on Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

kadet wrote:
BOAT wrote:Hey Kadet! is there a time lag because it takes the sun so long to get here from Australia every morning? How long do you have to wait?
Yes the Sun starts her first then we send you the faded one we used first. Time difference to California is 17hours.
We get a used sun! I knew it!
mastreb
Admiral

Post by mastreb »

RobertB wrote:Currently, the Garmin Chartplotter and the RayMarine AP kind of integrate. The AP will display speed and depth, just not accept track data. This means, I can see my speed and depth when full screen on the chartplotter and I can hold a heading, I just cannot have the AP follow a course set by the chartplotter. I would like it all to work but what I have now actually makes it enjoyable to spend hours on end sailing. Being able to sit back and talk to my wife while just glancing at where we are going and how the sails are holding the wind makes for a much more relaxing experience. This alone makes this the most valuable mod I have made to date (and I have made quite a few).
concur. It's fantastic to be able to relax and enjoy a sail. An AP is equal to another crew member, but one that doesn't take up any space in the cockpit.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Just so you guys know and so others looking for the answer will see it here:

You CAN connect the NEW Garmin stuff to the NEW Ray Marine stuff and the best method is exactly what mastreb said to do: BUILD A CABLE.

Here is the official answer from RAY MARINE off their technical website:

They confirmed that the best way to do this is to but a BACK BONE cable from one backbone to the other. If you use a Ray Marine backbone cable to do this you need to splice the GARMIN connector on one end - visa versa if you use a garmin backbone cable. Then you only use the power from the Ray Marine backbone to power the whole setup. This allows the Garmin and the ETEC to share ALL DATA across all of the Ray Marine statements in real time at high speed so all the devices have their own address on the backbone as opposed to a spur that has only one address. It also allows the GARMIN to see the core sensor statements too - apparently you can also ask your GARMIN to display the data from the sensor core. The RAY MARINE brain will accept track data from the GARMIN if the GARMIN is allowed to send the track data down the backbone where everyone else can see it too.

So, mastreb was right.

I will buy a little 3 foot backbone cable from raymarine and put a 2000 connector on one end and be done.
grady
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by grady »

Used this to connect Garmin NMEA 2000 backbone to Simrad. Worked great. They do make a lot of cable converters also.

http://www.panbo.com/archives/2008/02/n ... _woop.html
DrV
Chief Steward

Post by DrV »

Hi there!

Finally, I have found such inportant topic. (Thanks, Boat! Seems like a good job done!)
"Seems" (instead of "looks") - because I can not see ANY of the pictures Boat had published on the first page!
All I see is exclamation mark, instead.
:( :( :(

Is there ANY way to see what Boat done there? Without pictures - there's no chance to guess what he done and I can't nearly guess what kind of connection/disconnection with a 'ball' he invented... Seems these pictures got deleted from Google account he used there.
Is there, by chance, and 'cache' where these pictures could be retrieved from? (archive.org doesn't help at all!!!)
Any other way???

thanks

P.S. Bit desparate now about that. Found a good discount on EV-100 wheel pilot for my :macm: , BUT , when doing final check at the Forum, found out that Boat have found a nice solution for connection/disconnection of EV-100 tiller pilot... ohh