bump from trailer when towing

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
Paul S
Site Admin
Sailboat: Other

Re: bump from trailer when towing

Post by Paul S »

if you havent looked at my thread from a while back, might be worth re-reading - http://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/v ... 11&t=23553

The issue with the trailer is the tongue. The c- channel frame, generally, is pretty good. there have been a lot of reports of tongue failure. Before towing, check it out well. might want to drill a drain hole in the bottom rear of the tongue section to allow water to drain out.

In good repair, the factory steel trailer is quite nice. After repairing mine, it pulled and stopped like a dream.
blues midnight
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by blues midnight »

Thanks again for all the replies, links and info. I downloaded the manual, better info than the original Buddy manual I have on the tongue, must have been updated after, and looked at the vid on the lockout bracket. Have just checked out the forum topic link (again) and need to more thouroughly inspect my tongue and drill a hole for water to drain. But here in this very extreme desert climate, doesn't seem to promote much rust, luckily.

Will try the brake lockout bracket but only problem is it can only be used when backing but upon reflection, I suppose I could put it in front of the sliding pin and use it for going forward. (The PO attached the brake lockout bracket to the hitch pin so I was wondering what the heck it was for!)

In the end, I think I may need to remove the whole coupler and get a new one w/o actuator. In any event, I am miles ahead in info now so really appreciate the help from this forum.
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery »

blues midnight wrote:Will try the brake lockout bracket but only problem is it can only be used when backing but upon reflection, I suppose I could put it in front of the sliding pin and use it for going forward.
Since the coupler only moves a small distance anyway, using the lockout as it's normally intended simply limits (almost eliminates) and compression of the coupling. Extension is already at the end of stroke. So the coupler is essentially locked in the extended position.

The admonition about using it only for backing is because it disables the brakes, so the manufacturer doesn't want you driving around like that. But you already are, since you have no brakes. So it's a moot point.

Unless I'm missing something. :|
Don T
Admiral
Location: 95 2600 "SS OTTER" - Portland OR - Tohatsu 50 - Hull#64 (May 95)

Post by Don T »

Hello,
Make sure the hydraulic dampener in the coupler is good. 1~2 seconds after applying the brakes you should feel the trailer begin braking. It is slowed by the dampener and a restriction orifice in the master cylinder which is activated by a spring. When all is working properly it shouldn't bump your tow vehicle or pulse / oscillate.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

blues midnight wrote:It's the original steel trailer but brake actuator system has been disconnected (no trailer brakes).
Paul S
Site Admin
Sailboat: Other

Post by Paul S »

Don T wrote:Hello,
Make sure the hydraulic dampener in the coupler is good. 1~2 seconds after applying the brakes you should feel the trailer begin braking. It is slowed by the dampener and a restriction orifice in the master cylinder which is activated by a spring. When all is working properly it shouldn't bump your tow vehicle or pulse / oscillate.
The OP said the braking system has been disconnected.
blues midnight
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by blues midnight »

Yes, to clarify, trailer has no brakes, which is not a problem, just want the coupler and actuator system to stop sliding and making a 'bump' when towing (especially when doing the "Mac bump to move the boat closer to trailer end, the boat always slips out a few inches right after leaving the water even though I winch it up tight and doing the Mac bump is a bit scary cuz of the loud noise and vibration even tho the boat barely moves...)

PO said brakes rusted out very easily so just going with that as I'm new to all this and just keeping things simple and within my learning curve.
Craig Laforce2
Just Enlisted

Post by Craig Laforce2 »

I have the same problem on my old 97 26X. I removed the brakes years ago and the bumping is annoying.
My coupler looks nothing like the one above. Is there a way to lock the old style coupler out from sliding and bumping?

Thanks.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Craig Laforce2 wrote:I have the same problem on my old 97 26X. I removed the brakes years ago and the bumping is annoying.
My coupler looks nothing like the one above. Is there a way to lock the old style coupler out from sliding and bumping?

Thanks.
Not clear on which one your's doesn't look like, but if you have the DICO or Titan (same thing), pull the master cylinder and shock absorber out, drill a hole through it on one side, and put a bolt through it with nylon- or metal-insert locknut. Done.