kicker question

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
whgoffrn
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

kicker question

Post by whgoffrn »

I found a cheap 8hp 2 stroke on craigslist for 300 bucks ...one of the old yachtwins ....question is would a 25 inch shaft be preferred over a 20? ....this one is a 25
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Re: kicker question

Post by Tomfoolery »

I would prefer the long shaft myself, as it allows the power head to be higher, for easier steering, throttle, and shift control.
81venture
Captain

Post by 81venture »

Tomfoolery wrote:I would prefer the long shaft myself, as it allows the power head to be higher, for easier steering, throttle, and shift control.

ditto
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

81venture wrote:
Tomfoolery wrote:I would prefer the long shaft myself, as it allows the power head to be higher, for easier steering, throttle, and shift control.
ditto
Oh, almost forgot, since my BF50 is on the centerline and therefore the following doesn't apply - with the kicker offset to one side, listing will reduce the depth of the prop under the water. Pitching, too. Being able to put the prop deeper into the water is an advantage, even if the antiventilation plate is much deeper than 'normal'. And with an adjustable mount, you can raise the 25" OB for smooth water operation, and put it deeper for rough water.

I had a heck of a time with my Aquarius in some really rough water a number of times, as I couldn't keep the prop in the water long enough to make headway. The A7.0 was different from the regular A23in that it had a big transom rudder on pintles (centered) rather than the balanced 'cassette' style through the cockpit sole, so the OB was on a mount to one side. Same hull otherwise (masthead rig, though). But that offset OB was a problem in a very shallow channel I had to use back then, which often had breaking waves when winds were out of the north.

So extra shaft length is a very nice plus for a small kicker.
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

Definitely 25 better ...go for it.
bahama bound
Captain

Post by bahama bound »

When I put my 6 h.p sail pro ,which I can not rave enough about ,uses almost no fuel ,cruises my fully loaded mac at hull speed and has 5 amp battery charge .but I got a 25 inch shaft but the drop bracket has 11.25 inch swing up and down ,as a result to get the motor deep in the water I measured and tested with bracket in down position ,then when we took the boat out the prop was about still about three inches in the water with the bracket all the way up the and you really cannot tilt motor up because it is so close to the hull ? I'm looking for a 16" swing bracket now ,several companies make them just hoping to stumble on a deal ,anybody else have this issue ?
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

Just leave it dipped. People grossly overestimate the drag of a dipped motor anyway.
bahama bound
Captain

Post by bahama bound »

Sprays alot of water when I run the big motor ,under sail you are right it does not mater ,I ordered aluminum stock to try and make longer arms for the bracket ,they say you have to really be careful because of the spring tension ,but I am planning on trying to give it little more lift and I assume it would also give little more depth ?
Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »