Stolen Engine

For MacGregor/Venture owners in Australia and discussions about country-specific sailing-related topics.
sailboatmike
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Stolen Engine

Post by sailboatmike »

Gee some people have a nerve, stealing a 60Hp, I mean its not just a small kicker you can wack in your boot, I would think well in excess of 100Kg so they must of had lifting gear or maybe thats why the cover got broken, because they couldnt lift it.

We have had a couple of break ins at the local boat hire but none in the club boat yard that mine is stored in, not sure what drives people to take other peoples hard earned things, I think its the age of entitlement, the younger generation think they are entitled to do and say as they want, not many have respect for anything or anyone anymore.
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Dave,

You said you now have a new engine, but you neglected to say what it is you now have :?: Did you go larger :?:

Ray
Berber Boy
First Officer
Location: Paynesville, VIC 3880 AUSTRALIA WindSong 2016 26M 75hp Etec

Post by Berber Boy »

sailboatmike wrote:Gee some people have a nerve, stealing a 60Hp, I mean its not just a small kicker you can wack in your boot, I would think well in excess of 100Kg so they must of had lifting gear or maybe thats why the cover got broken, because they couldnt lift it.

We have had a couple of break ins at the local boat hire but none in the club boat yard that mine is stored in, not sure what drives people to take other peoples hard earned things, I think its the age of entitlement, the younger generation think they are entitled to do and say as they want, not many have respect for anything or anyone anymore.
They did it ion the middle of a huge storm and put it loose in boat they stole with a 100hp Etec on it. The engine weighs 117kgs. They took a country route home and managed to drive everything off the road, thru an embankment and into a field. That is how the police caught them I am told. That's where the external stuff was knocked about. I am trying to get the Court Case # and find out what punishment they got for it.
Watch this space

BB
Berber Boy
First Officer
Location: Paynesville, VIC 3880 AUSTRALIA WindSong 2016 26M 75hp Etec

Post by Berber Boy »

Just returned from a quick trip down to Paynesville to install some motor protection. Really pleased with the new ETEC 75. Gives a lot more control to the boat at slower speeds and cruises faster at lower RPMs.

Have installed an alarm that has a 12mm HT wire that have passed from Cabin through the engine control harness to the engine, round a post and then returned to lock into the control unit. Any attempt to cut the harness must first cut this cable and upon doing so the alarm will activate with a 120db screecher. Not perfect but something to deter the unprofessional opportunist.

Restored the fading blue (but still fast) hull with Meguires Color restorer and was amazed at how good it looked. Best product I have used thus far and polished up the black stripes as well.
Sold the stolen engine for a good price so am feeling a bit happier than before. Here's to sailing in Spring. Envious of you QLD owners.

BB