26X - Centerboard Stopper Knob Repair

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Wind Chime
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Vancouver, B.C. Canada. 2000-26X, Suzuki-50hp, 8' Walker-Bay tender (with sailkit)

26X - Centerboard Stopper Knob Repair

Post by Wind Chime »

I grounded out in the mud, going in reverse - and broke off the fibreglass stopper knob on the 2000X keel :o

This fibreglass knob stops the keel in the vertical position when dropped - so it can not go any farther forward than vertical. Labeled as "F" in the drawing.

I did not know there was any damage at the time, but found out later by having the centerboard going past vertical which really screws with the CLR ... I could not figure out why she was behaving so badly at first until I saw the keel at the dock from a distance and the keel was about 30 degrees forward of vertical!

I tied a knot in the raising/lowering line to stop the keel from going past vertical as temporary solution, but want to rebuild the keel knob over winter.

Does anyone have a scale drawing of what this knob looks like besides the factory drawing? It's only a few inches big but an odd shape. I was hoping maybe someone has had their keel out and traced this end for another project or something?

Any ideas on how to rebuild the knob? ... Could I just put a large SS screw in an build up epoxy around it, or do I need to use glass weaves as well, the gel coat? I have no experience with firbreglass - with the exception of reading advice on this great site :)
Whipsyjac
First Officer
Location: White Rock, B.C. 96 26X Hull#486 96Merc ELPT 50HP 4 Stroke

Re: 26X - Centerboard Stopper Knob Repair

Post by Whipsyjac »

Hi Darry, I'm sure I could drop my CB this winter and you could trace it if no one has the dimensions on paper.
sunshinecoasting
First Officer
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia - "Entropy" Nissan 50 CDI Furling Jib

Post by sunshinecoasting »

I can definately help on this one, had exactly the same thing happen to me, fixed 2 years now and still working well. For details look at this post. http://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/v ... =8&t=23308

Hope it helps, any questions feel free to ask :)
Wind Chime
Captain
Location: Vancouver, B.C. Canada. 2000-26X, Suzuki-50hp, 8' Walker-Bay tender (with sailkit)

Post by Wind Chime »

Thanks for the offer Whipsy - but it looks like Sunshinecoasting has been and done what I need to do.

I think the key to re-creating the "stop notch" to the right size will be using the hanger to guide the shape.

Once I get the keel off I'll see what the damage looks like but probably will be similar to the ones Sunshine had.

I'm thinking I'll screw in a large ss screw, and build up epoxy with fibreglass mat cut into shreds, then gelcoat or marine-tex for final coat? Does that sound right?
sunshinecoasting
First Officer
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia - "Entropy" Nissan 50 CDI Furling Jib

Post by sunshinecoasting »

Sounds like a plan, I used the hanger to help find the shape and size needed for the stop as you said, make it a bit larger than needed and shape it after it sets. I didnt worry about reinforcing with a screw but I dont think its a bad idea, I didnt cut the fibre mat I left the fibres long and let them twist and turn patting them in with a paint brush, long fibres I thought would be stronger but I'm no expert, what I can confirm is that mine is still good after 2 years of regular use, I can hear it clunk as it finds home position when let down so I know its good.