Advice on trailer

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Ricard_M
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Advice on trailer

Post by Ricard_M » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:17 am

Hi there,

I am new to the forum and new to the Macgregor's world. Recently I bought a 26C which I am in love with!

But unfortunately the trailer it came with is in really bad condition (beyond repair), so I am trying to get another one for the boat, but I would like to hear your opinion about a couple of points.

The trailer that the boat came with is a trailer for a Macgregor 26X. In its papers it says that it can carry about 1.1 Ton. It also states that the trailer is 5700mm between axes (I imagine this is between the car's back wheel and trailer wheel).

My new trailer has 4 wheels instead of just 2 and can carry about 1.6 Ton but the trailer is slightly shorter measuring 4600mm between axes. The trailer is less wide than the Macgregor.

Do you think that my new trailer is capable of being adjusted to be used with my boat?

Btw, can someone clear out what is the true empty weight of a 26C? From what I see online it seems to be about 1.15 Ton, but I guess mixed information.....

Thanks for your help!

1st Sail
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Advice on trailer

Post by 1st Sail » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:09 pm

Hi Ricard,
Welcome to the great group of MacGregor sailors. A few thoughts for consideration:
Which ever trailer you select make sure you can position the rollers and bunks exactly under the hull where there is reinforcement. I know on the X and M MacGregor reinforced the hull where the bunks make contact with the hull when the boat in on the trailer. Failure to do so can result is permanently distorting the hull form.

You will need to be able to position the hull on any trailer so the boat is essentially balanced with regard to the axle(s) location and you have the proper tongue weight. That said if you purchase a non-EOM trailer I suggest you find one with adjustable axle to frame position and also bunks and rollers.

Selecting a trailer designed for a significant higher payload would make for a rough ride for the hull. Much like pulling and empty trailer. In general terms you want a trailer which is matched to the payload. It is my understanding the hulls are not designed to be loaded for travel. Selecting a trailer with a significantly higher payload does not mean you can load the boat to make up the difference. You risk damaging the hull.

I think the general rule for towing is the hitch to axle distance should not exceed more than 150% of the tow vehicle wheel base distance for best tracking performance.

Enjoy!