New Macgregor 26M owner in Cuyahoga County, Ohio

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
mymosin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

New Macgregor 26M owner in Cuyahoga County, Ohio

Post by mymosin »

I recently purchased a 26M and have no experience with the Macgregor. I took ASA keelboat lessons about three or four years ago but am limited on sailing experience. I have a good amount of fresh and salt water powerboat experience. I am looking for experienced contacts in the Cuyahoga-Lorain County, Ohio areas for inquiries and local knowledge.
John McDonough
First Officer

Re: New Macgregor 26M owner in Cuyahoga County, Ohio

Post by John McDonough »

I live in Pittsburgh Pa. Sailed Erie for about 30 years. Owned a mac-26x, a mac-26d and a Crosby 30 out of grand river since 1980.

retired a few years ago. took up dirtbikes, but need a new hobby soon. (ouch)

I checked this site for a used 26d or 26s. Best sailboat macgregor ever made.

about 10 years ago I also helped George Lee set up and sail his new 26m out of Sandusky Ohio.
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by dlandersson »

I sail out of Michigan City, IN, practically next door :)
mymosin wrote:I recently purchased a 26M and have no experience with the Macgregor. I took ASA keelboat lessons about three or four years ago but am limited on sailing experience. I have a good amount of fresh and salt water powerboat experience. I am looking for experienced contacts in the Cuyahoga-Lorain County, Ohio areas for inquiries and local knowledge.
paul I
First Officer
Location: Niagara Falls, NY 2000 26X w/Honda BF50 "NoneShallPass"

Post by paul I »

John McDonough wrote:I live in Pittsburgh Pa. Sailed Erie for about 30 years. Owned a mac-26x, a mac-26d and a Crosby 30 out of grand river since 1980.

retired a few years ago. took up dirtbikes, but need a new hobby soon. (ouch)

I checked this site for a used 26d or 26s. Best sailboat macgregor ever made.

about 10 years ago I also helped George Lee set up and sail his new 26m out of Sandusky Ohio.
John, good to hear from you.
I'm still sailing your old 2000 :macx:
I hope all is well.
mymosin

Post by mymosin »

Thanks for your replies. I sure I will contact you. I am one of those who will do it until things are so messed up, I ask for help. Someone asked about my user name. I used to be active in the Curio and Relics boards. Right now I am a reverse snowbird, living in Florida but coming up North to escape the heat in summer (also assist family). Right now I have no electronics. I want to install a second battery, shore power, compass and a gps/depthfinder/fish finder. I have a hand held. This 26M will be traveling between Ohio, Florida and points in between. I have a dock on Watauga Lake in Tennessee. I'm looking for advise as to what to buy and ehat I really do not need. I also have no Bimini or Dodger.
John McDonough
First Officer

Post by John McDonough »

mymosin wrote:Thanks for your replies. I sure I will contact you.
Right now I have no electronics.
I want to install a second battery, shore power, compass and a gps/depthfinder/fish finder. I have a hand held.
This 26M will be traveling between Ohio, Florida and points in between. I have a dock on Watauga Lake in Tennessee.
I'm looking for advise as to what to buy and ehat I really do not need. I also have no Bimini or Dodger.

I never had any electronics. (Vision by day, the stars by night. On lake Erie its either running into Michigan or going over Niagra falls.
My wife bought me the compass.
Traveling between Florida & ohio you might use I-79 to the Ohio turnpike. I can see I-79 from my home. (about 1/2 mile)
Call me as you pass by. I have relatives in Ohio I want to visit. I can take the bus home, when they kick me out.
I left you a message with my phone number. Co-incidence I was just planning a visit to Cedar Point with my cousins.
I doubt they would go out on Erie, so just make plans for one..
Sept.or Oct are always he best months to Sail on Erie.. Peellee point Canada.. Here we come.

The 26M you own might have belonged to George Lee (Albion). I helped him learn he ropes..
John McDonough
First Officer

Post by John McDonough »

paul I wrote:
John McDonough wrote:I live

John, good to hear from you.
I'm still sailing your old 2000 :macx:
I hope all is well.
Paul... How is my boat holding up. I sold it (less than 1/2 its value) to Bud Sutter hoping he would keep it and I could still use it,
I sold bud my 1st 1997-26x to buy my 2nd 2000-26X (much improved boat) He trailored it to the Florida Keys and the axel came loose gouging a perfectly shaped tire mark
below the waterline.. He didn't notice the hole, until his wife screamed . Bud repaired it and continued on with his vacation. he never blamed me for selling him a lemon.

Let this be a for warning to check your trailor.?

The Honda-50hp motor. 2 seasons before I sold the boat.( I figured out 3 years later.) I wanted to drain the carb for the winter. Instead of turning the drain screw I turned the AIR screw
fully open. Next season At full speed I noticed a slight stutter. At the end of the season Its became very hard to start. I pulled the spark plug and one was extremely dark brown.
I planned on installing new rings. When I sold the boat to Bud I told him I would pay 1/2 the price to fix the engine. I wondered why Bud never answered his phone. Then someone told me he sold all his Boats. Oh well. I figured I would retire, become the senior citizen motorscross champion of he world....Buy a big boat.etc etc etc live happily ever after.

So anyways how is the Honda-50?? I assume there was nothing wrong with the motor. Just needed a simple tune-up and new spark plugs..
So anyways how is the 26x holding up??
John McDonough
First Officer

Post by John McDonough »

dlandersson wrote:I sail out of Michigan City, IN, practically next door :)
]

Sounds like a challenge...Michigan city, on the lower Lake Michigan.

Ok.. Get your 26x outside the marina. Put the sails up and head north to the Macinaw Bridge..
We motor out of Erie and when we get to lake Huron we put the 26m sails up and head north to the Macinaw bridge..
The first one to tie up to the southern bridge pier wins..
Warning I got friends in the CIA with access to spy satellites. :D :D So don't try to cheat :D :D

Practically next door.. As the crow flies..... NOT how the fish swim.. :) :)
whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn »

I also go between Florida and up north (wv) my suggestions on what first is a GOOD anchor you will need it more in Florida ....i have a 35lb and 25lb Mantus.... I'm not sure if a 35lb is overkill and not necessary but it was my first anchor and radar apps ..... having the ability to anchor and KNOW you won't budge is the first purchase I would make
For electronics I'd say use your tablet or phone and get navionics.... there's so much you money you can pour into these boats at first I'd just suggest stretching your dollar as far as u can go to make sure you are safe on the water ....1 GOOD and heavy anchor with chain a tablet with my radar + windfinder + weather bug + navionics will definately be a huge plus (get water proof case for phone) a lot of these newer phones that say they are water proof are not salt water proof...lesson learned from last trip to the keys
mymosin

Post by mymosin »

I appreciate your replies and thoughts on equipment. I do not get on the computer, regularly, and it's been a couple of weeks. I've muddled through the rigging and mast raising and learned quite a bit. Enough that I was able to reorganize storage of lines and cables while mast is in cradle to make getting the boat rigged a lot easier. Read the manual a couple times, which I rarely read the instructions booklets to anything, learned how to properly secure the mast in the cradle so it doesn't bounce around (was an interesting trip from Minnesota to Ohio as I bought the boat in Minnesota). Learned some lessons about the costs of hardware from local outlets. The sales person quipped sailboat owners save on gas but it evens out due to hardware prices. I live in the Florida panhandle, about two blocks from the Gulf and two blocks from the lagoon and closest ramp. Looking forward to seeing if my house will survive this hurricane season and plan on returning in a couple weeks, before needing to winterize. Been interesting. I'm leaning towards a hand held compass for the time being as I'm not planning on any long trips and will be mostly sailing with coastal references or large bays. I do need to review my charting skills, though, to teach the grandkids. Figured something that shows a chart, depth and fish (for the grandkids) is best. I will definitely contact y'all next year when I come back. I think my anchor is adequate and have a second anchor in Florida from a previous boat that I use for a door stop. Those who are familiar with Gulf winds can appreciate the anchor door stop is not overkill. My route is down I-71 to I-65 and a bunch of back roads , getting off anywhere from Montgomery to about a half hour drive passed. I access the computer more regular in Florida and look forward to hearing from other Macgregor owners. I do need to replace the mast light connection and saw that Blue Water Yachts sells one that "almost" fits the exiting holes. Also, will be looking for a Bimini. Any suggestions?
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

mymosin wrote:I do need to replace the mast light connection and saw that Blue Water Yachts sells one that "almost" fits the exiting holes.
They have a couple of styles of plug/receptacle, including the OEM type for the :macx: . I got a new plug, plus receptacle 'guts' to repair mine, and it all fit like new. It was used on some :macm: boats, according to the site. Just so you know.

http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/8304-110.htm
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Before I forget, one of your first expriences needs to be buying everyone a pizza (to celebrate your smarts, good fortune, etc.) - extra cheese, please. :P
mymosin wrote:I recently purchased a 26M and have no experience with the Macgregor. I took ASA keelboat lessons about three or four years ago but am limited on sailing experience. I have a good amount of fresh and salt water powerboat experience. I am looking for experienced contacts in the Cuyahoga-Lorain County, Ohio areas for inquiries and local knowledge.
mymosin

Post by mymosin »

Thanks go all. will return North early summer. Info was helpful and look forward to sharing the water with you. I am now currently in Panama City Beach, Florida. Looking for the experience of a 26M owner.
npsrangerchuck
Chief Steward

Post by npsrangerchuck »

what I would give to have our :macm: in Panama City FL right now! Sadly, she's buttoned up for the winter but by next summer, when my wife will also be retired, we will be free to take her to some less "local" waters and return to sailing as we once knew it! Our preferences in Florida run a little further south- we once lived in Everglades City and then down in Key Largo, where we cut our teeth on our 1971 Venture22.......
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Ditto. Snowed here Sat. :cry:
npsrangerchuck wrote:what I would give to have our :macm: in Panama City FL right now! Sadly, she's buttoned up for the winter but by next summer, when my wife will also be retired, we will be free to take her to some less "local" waters and return to sailing as we once knew it! Our preferences in Florida run a little further south- we once lived in Everglades City and then down in Key Largo, where we cut our teeth on our 1971 Venture22.......