Here We Go Again - February Florida Keys or Bust 2018!

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.
Gazmn
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg; AL 2X Trlr.

Here We Go Again - February Florida Keys or Bust 2018!

Post by Gazmn »

Hi Guys,
Glad We're back! Thanks Heath! Thanks Mods! I've already donated.

We just pulled the trigger on a Key Largo 1 week house rental with a dock, President's week. Thank you Founding Fathers :!:

2 thumbs pointing to: guess who's crazy enough to drive Miss Ollie 1500 miles for one week 8)
I already cancelled my plane ticket, so I'm in for a penny & a pound. It would be >$1500 to rent a decent sized boat + rent paddle boards & snorkel gear x 5- so I decided to bring down my own toys. I can always choose to stay longer - if I don't mind divorce proceedings. I'm having the Admiral & General [Momma] fly down & back up for school. [Admiral's a teacher].

My thinking: my ticket plus car rental =$1400. + Possible Boat rental: $400/day; Paddleboard rental $100 / bd/wk + snorkel & fishing gear... Cheaper to keep her - & Bring her!

This post isn't meant to be a braggart. This is where we're staying: https://www.vrbo.com/4265543ha#ratesAnchor
If any locals or others know the area & the obstacles or have input, please contribute here - x2... :wink:
It's too late to ask, "am I crazy?" Of course I am - I used to run Into burning buildings, lol! Question is: Mast / boom or sailless...? I'm thinking for ease of setting up. Thoughts please & any joiners?? :)

PS: Certainly before commenting, please donate & contribute to the upkeep of our Great Site - It's well worth it! Thank you...
Seapup
Captain

Re: Here We Go Again - February Florida Keys or Bust 2018!

Post by Seapup »

2 thumbs pointing to: guess who's crazy enough to drive Miss Ollie 1500 miles for one week 8)
:D :D :D
Congrats, should be another great adventure. Sounds like a great motivator for the cold days between now and then too.
Ixneigh
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Ixneigh »

Ummmm...beaches...ima gonna say, no.
Hopefully he's being honest about the rest of the property ;)

Ix
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Is it warm? Is your sofa free? :P
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Gazmn wrote:Question is: Mast / boom or sailless...? I'm thinking for ease of setting up. Thoughts please & any joiners?? :)
When I towed my :macx: to Cape Cod last summer, it was a mistake to bring the mast. Too much time and effort for setup and takedown, in the summer heat and sun and humidity, and I only sailed it once. Motored the other (two, maybe) times I took it out. Would have been much more fun just to leave the mast at home. Probably spent almost as much time getting it ready or prepping to haul than actually enjoying it.

But it wasn't a sailing trip. Like when I tow it to Canada and live on it for a week, along with other Mac drivers (MMOR). Worth it then, without question, as the whole point is to go sailing. With certain family interests, it's more 'going for a boat ride', even when we're 'going sailing'. :|

So if you're just going to go on it a few times, coordinating with other interests (like family), I'd say leave it all behind and be a Mac Trawler.* But if you're going to actually sail and play with it for more than an hour or two at a pop, then bring it all.

I'm making a stub mast for it, in fact, with masthead (steaming) light and antenna, so if I do another trip like that this summer, I can just leave the mast at home.
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

We always take the mast, even on "trawling" trips, just as a backup to the motor. With the X, I've run out of gas three times: twice I had plenty of gas in the other tank so no big problem, but the other time I thought I had plenty of gas in the other tank, forgetting that I had switched it the day before. Another time, after a (shoddy?) motor service, the main fuse worked its way loose and the motor stopped out in the middle of the river. Of those three events, only on the motor fuse problem did we actually have to sail back to port, but that time I was happy to have the sails. On our previous boat, a Siren 17, we struck a rock and broke the shear pin (before I knew what a shear pin was) and needed the sails to bring us home, and another time I forgot to open the gas tank vent and also sailed home.

So, for me, the consummate worrier, the mast will always come. It certainly gets in the way, but we are planning to add a removable extension to the pedestal carrying pole to get the mast up higher out of the cockpit and to allow the enclosure to go up with the mast in place.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Starscream wrote:It certainly gets in the way, but we are planning to add a removable extension to the pedestal carrying pole to get the mast up higher out of the cockpit and to allow the enclosure to go up with the mast in place.
Here ya go! http://www.macgregorsailors.com/modt/in ... ?view=2059

I have, or had before the photobucket implosion, some pics of it with the mast over the bimini, with the bridge (or connector) in place. But I would caution that in a seaway the lateral forces from rocking put repetitive stresses on the helm, so I use a bit of line to tie it off to the gunwales to stabilize it, similar to what I do when trailering (though it's a foot lower).
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

Yup that's exactly what I am planning. Thanks! I saw that bwy sells a replacement pole and that they could make the length custom so I was planning to order a second, longer one to use when camping or trawlering.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Besides the expense, that's also another crutch to carry and/or store. A 24" length of schedule 40 pipe, a 12" length of old spreader tube, and you're in business. Easier to store, too. :wink:
Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg; AL 2X Trlr.

Post by Gazmn »

Good arguments on both sides.

The house appears to be just North of Pennekamp & within it's boundaries for boating & paddle boarding. Is anyone familiar with the area enough regarding launch ramps & such? I'll admit it's easier to bring the mast b/c it's already loaded & packed on the boat. Although it's not impossible to move. I don't know exactly where South Dade Marina is, but I know it's fairly close and a launch option. But bringing the mast does limit gulf - ocean pass throughs...

I figure 2 days are lost packing & unpacking mast.

My mast on trailer is about 12' high. I'm guessing 9-10' clearance bobbing on the water under a bridge like the vaca cut. Are there any ocean side launches? Does Pennekamp have one?? - I just read they do. Hope it's still up. & I'm considering leaving the boat down at South Dade Marina till June for another trip. -have to find out when's lobster season :? ?

If I don't bring mast, I'll bring a kicker. I got a 5HP long shaft that I have to break in. & a 2.5 Honda Short shaft, both 4 strokes. -I'll be bringing kicker & mast... Glad we talked
Last edited by Gazmn on Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gazmn
Admiral

Post by Gazmn »

As the Ball was dropping in Times Square, NYC, I was on Ebay purchasing an air lift leveler & front hitch receiver...

Now I gotta get this crap installed, the truck checked out & grease the bearings I forgot to before putting the boat away :x

& it's 8* outside... :|

Sometimes I just wish I had Highlander's or Sumner's "Bat Cave" I mean Boat Cave :D :D -& their talent :wink:
Ixneigh
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Ixneigh »

I routinely use the Adams cut to transit from bay side to ocean side with the mast down.
You can launch at penekamp for pretty direct ocean access with no bridges.
I usually launch the boat then put the mast up later. I have no issues raising or lowering the mast in the water. Just find a nice lee somewhere.
The carribbian club ramp is on the gulf side. A mile or so from penekamp. You'll have to use Adam's cut to get to Oceanside. This ramp in not very good in strong NW winds. There is a poor ocean side ramp near me. High tide only and you'll need a long trailer tongue or a magictilt. Its free though. Not usable in strong easterly winds.
Ix
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Ixneigh wrote:I routinely use the Adams cut to transit from bay side to ocean side with the mast down.
Is that with the mast still in the tabernacle, like in the MacGregor marketing pic? I don't actually know what the clearance is with my mast down in the crutch but still pinned. I should probably measure it some day and write it down at the helm.

Active Captain shows 14 ft clearance under that bridge at high water, which sounds like a lot, but might not be with the mast still pinned. :|
Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup »

Are there any ocean side launches?
We rented a house for a week in south largo next to Harry Harris Park which had an oceanside boat ramp, not sure if its reopened after the hurricane though.

Gazmn
Admiral

Post by Gazmn »

Thanks for replies guys :)

Adams Cut was what I was trying to remember from '09 Key Largo trip. I called Penekamp & I can use their ramp for 10 bucks. & it's in the neighborhood so I can bike back & pick up the truck. Thanks for Harry Harris info. Always good to have options.

I called South Dade Marina also, in case I get there early with no problems. I may be looking for a place to loiter. I just found out they own KLSC - The Key Lime Sailor's Club in Florida Bay. I may give them a look for the future. Instead of dragging Miss Ollie down they have cottages with sailboat access. Anyone use them?