140lb 9hp long tail motor for emergency kicker?

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
Geraghtyr
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

140lb 9hp long tail motor for emergency kicker?

Post by Geraghtyr »

Evening All,

I had motor issues last season, luckily nothing major, got back to my slip without BOAT"tow"US this time :)
It made me think I REALLY need a kicker motor.

Was thinking about a Lehr long shaft propane outboard on a kicker motor mount.
Afterall, wind, gas, and propane would make for good propulsion fuel options.

Then I saw one of these for sale... a long tail outboard...
http://www.godevil.com/?listings=9-hp-honda
yeah it uses gas but...

Could it push a 1996 26x in an emergency?
Could it be stowed somewhere until needed? (not always mounted)
How could it be mounted when needed? (a board under the captains seat?)
Would it be good option in shallow water?

Silly idea probably but its late and I'm letting my imagination go.

What is your opinion...I might try it this spring.
sailboatmike
Admiral

Re: 140lb 9hp long tail motor for emergency kicker?

Post by sailboatmike »

Really $2300 for a kicker??

Im sure for that sort of money MANY options open up, thats is the region of a Torqeedo motor
Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg; AL 2X Trlr.

Post by Gazmn »

I'm feeling' ya Bro...

But that weight & size is in the Primary Plant category.
You already got: Sails, motor. TowboatUS & Brains... Consider a Kicker mod & a 2-6HP Kicker. Whatever you can afford & more than half that weight. That's a Person!
- shop around, u already have: time, Sail, brains & insurance :wink:

No rush necessary...

That's me & my Mom on a boat with 2 of those motors in the background. While I was diving in The Java Sea in November n Indonesia. They are loud & not what u want on ur Mac...
kadet
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Brisbane, Australia. 2008M "Wicked Wave" Yamaha T60

Post by kadet »

Where the heck are you going to store it on board?
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

Too heavy. And overkill unless you need to go miles.
I bought a dc battery charger that put out up to 50 amps. Its powered by a 2hp gas engine.
That might run a trolling motor directly and the charger is handy for charging house batteries. I bought it to help out the solar array. I could probably mount a trolling motor motor and prop unit on one rudder and run the generator to power it. The caveat is they don't recommend running this particular model longer than an hour because of heat build up. But this set up would move me 3 k and one could remove the motor and prop and store it down below.

Ix
dive4it
Engineer

Post by dive4it »

I have a kicker motor mount on my Mac X and I keep my dinghy motor on it. It makes it easy to lower to near the same level as the inflatable to transfer it over when needed. I had a water pump go out in my 50hp and so just lowered the kicker and motored back to port. Keep in mind, my lil kicker is a Yamaha 2 stroke 4hp with built in tank (no hoses or seperate fuel tanks and weighs only like 35 lbs full) and it got it up around 5 knots :) I'm sure a 9hp would do great and get it up to hull speed. It's also nice that you can just lock the outboard tiller in place and use your regular rudder to steer with.

JT
Orkia
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Orkia »

Just know that a 9.9 is the largest rated motor for a 26S. I have a 9.9hp and a 5hp. The 5 hp will push the 26S as long as the current is not too strong. We have a strong current in the rivers (creeks) in our area (2-3knts) and so I needed the 9.9 hp to push it all conditions.

In flat conditions you can reach hull speed with a 5hp. No problem.

...and 140lbs. That is extremely heavy for a motor that you may need to be moving around to use. My 9.9 hp is in the 90 lb range and I think that is pushing it. I love my 5 hp when it comes to the weight. I think you would regret purchasing such a heavy motor.
Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo »

dive4it wrote:Keep in mind, my lil kicker is a Yamaha 2 stroke 4hp with built in tank (no hoses or seperate fuel tanks and weighs only like 35 lbs full) and it got it up around 5 knots :)
Awesome information .... I'm so looking forward to hitting 4 Knots with my 3.3HP Kicker :D
Todd
Engineer

Post by Todd »

For price calibration purposes I was just at Cabela’s and they had a nice little Mercruiser 4 stroke 2.5HP for $899
Last edited by Todd on Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

I was thinking a Parsun 5.8hp single cylinder 2 stroke might be OK, the weight of a smaller motor with the power of a larger one.

I know people may jump up and down about Parsun motors but it might be a good fit for the purpose
armadillo
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by armadillo »

I had the same idea dive4it had. I have a tohatsu 8hp stored in the front of the boat (I dont use the triangular bed in the front) in case that the main engine fails. That helps a lot on balancing the weight of the trailer. (The mac26s trailer needs weight in the front). It weighs 60 pounds that is near my limit, but it has good power for the dinghy. In long trips the motor can be in the mount so it can be passed to the dinghy. 2 stroke is important for this configuration because it can be stored sideways. I have a Mac26s but I saw a photo of a Mac26x or M with the same idea. Small engines have bad reputation, but usually that is because the ethanol. So, I think new engines will fail similar to used engines. I bought mine for around $200 put some new parts for around $60 and is running fine. But, usually a 2 stroke engine will run between 300 and 700 and the mount is around $50
http://www.leverit.com/sailboat/mount.jpg
apsaunders
Chief Steward

Post by apsaunders »

I've thought about a kicker on the back of our :macm: , especially when we are forced to use the motor in no wind conditions at sea. I never think about it until we get out of sight of land.

I have never seen a :macm: with a kicker on the back. I've checked the mods, but never seen one there either...might have missed it. I'm not sure you can even put a kicker on the stern of a :macm: . There doesn't appear to be enough room. Maybe someone here has done it.
kadet
Admiral

Post by kadet »

apsaunders wrote:I've thought about a kicker on the back of our :macm: , especially when we are forced to use the motor in no wind conditions at sea. I never think about it until we get out of sight of land.

I have never seen a :macm: with a kicker on the back. I've checked the mods, but never seen one there either...might have missed it. I'm not sure you can even put a kicker on the stern of a :macm: . There doesn't appear to be enough room. Maybe someone here has done it.
Yep it has been done :)

http://www.macgregorsailors.com/modt/in ... ?view=1931
Nauti Nell
Engineer

Post by Nauti Nell »

kadet wrote:
apsaunders wrote:I've thought about a kicker on the back of our :macm: , especially when we are forced to use the motor in no wind conditions at sea. I never think about it until we get out of sight of land.

Yep it has been done :)

http://www.macgregorsailors.com/modt/in ... ?view=1931
I've been on this boat. He does great work, but not real happy with the propane kicker.
kadet
Admiral

Post by kadet »

but not real happy with the propane kicker
Who would be 8) Just way over complicates things on your boat. If it was the sole engine on a smaller sailing boat then yes but for a auxiliary motor :?: