Prodder / Bowsprit Size

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
sailboatmike
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Prodder / Bowsprit Size

Post by sailboatmike »

I want to put a bowsprit on to run the spinnaker out the front of the furler.

I was looking for some advice from those that have already done this as to the diameter and wall thickness of they tube the used.

Im only looking at maybe 18 inches (450mm) in front of the furler, is that going to be far enough forward or do I need to more clearance?

I would also like to make it retractable, any ideas for doing that easily
Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Re: Prodder / Bowsprit Size

Post by Highlander »

Blue Water Yatchs makes these for the :macm: I believe they r around 18-24" long & not retractable

http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/3805-1m4.htm

send me an e/m & I,ll send u pic,s of the one I designed it mounts on top of the anchor roller is either retractable or u can simply remove the sprit pole & leave the base attached I designed it to b 3ft long but u can make it 18-24" long if u wanted something shorter

I made three of them one for Terry in Delta BC Geoff "beene" in Toronto ON & the third one I make for Leon in San Fran CA but allas he sold his :macm: for a 38' barge :P . so I kept it as an proto type incase I decide to start makin & selling them

J 8)
PS I did make a 4ft bowsprit for Gazmn :macx: but I do not know if he ever did get around to installing it ?
Last edited by Highlander on Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

That would be awesome , PM sent with my email address
Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg; AL 2X Trlr.

Post by Gazmn »

Highlander wrote:Blue Water Yatchs makes these for the :macm: I believe they r around 18-24" long & not retractable

send me an e/m & I,ll send u pic,s of the one I designed it mounts on top of the anchor roller is either retractable or u can simply remove the sprit pole & leave the base attached I designed it to b 3ft long but u can make it 18-24" long if u wanted something shorter

I made three of them one for Terry in Delta BC Geoff "beene" in Toronto ON & the third one I make for Leon in San Fran CA but allas he sold his :macm: for a 38' barge :P . so I kept it as an proto type incase I decide to start makin & selling them

J 8)
PS I did make a 4ft bowsprit for Gazmn :macx: but I do not know if he ever did get around to installing it ?
I at least owe you a case of Monkey Shoulder, John. So when are ya coming by to Collect?? 8)

- Maybe you should meet me in Key Largo... :wink:
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

Highlander wrote:Blue Water Yatchs makes these for the :macm: I believe they r around 18-24" long & not retractable

The BWY site says that the bowsprit is only for the M, If I remember I sent a email to Ezra asking why it wouldnt fit the X, the answer was something to do with the anchor roller on the X that is different from the M, its all a bit hazy but something like that.
Nauti Nell
Engineer

Post by Nauti Nell »

Has BWY site gone down. Trying to see this bowsprit for the M and get a page that states their website is up for renewal or deletion.
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

Whoops, they must of forgotten to pay their domain subscription
bwygirl
Engineer

Post by bwygirl »

Oops you are right! Site down this morning but fixed now but it will still be a few hours to be up and working again. We do have a bow sprit for the 26M but not for the X . The anchor roller is different on the M, it is a straight bracket but on the X it is like a triangle shape. The pole fits onto the M straight anchor roller using the roller as a brace, the holes in the anchor roller fit bolts or pins that come with the bow sprit. There is a bolt at the back of the anchor roller that bolts to the deck, this comes off and a U shape bracket is attached that then attaches to the new bow sprit. Hope that made sence? Cheryl
LeePierce
Deckhand

Post by LeePierce »

Seems to be a good way to make the mast raising pole multi use.

Use the pole to put the mast up, then re-mount as a bowsprit.
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

bwygirl wrote:Oops you are right! Site down this morning but fixed now but it will still be a few hours to be up and working again. We do have a bow sprit for the 26M but not for the X . The anchor roller is different on the M, it is a straight bracket but on the X it is like a triangle shape. The pole fits onto the M straight anchor roller using the roller as a brace, the holes in the anchor roller fit bolts or pins that come with the bow sprit. There is a bolt at the back of the anchor roller that bolts to the deck, this comes off and a U shape bracket is attached that then attaches to the new bow sprit. Hope that made sence? Cheryl
I think someone is going to be in trouble this morning and get a stern talking too :D

I will have a look at my anchor roller, I do know that it blocks the standard starboard nav light (Deck mounted), so may not be original, I have bought a new LED Bi colour Nav light and I have to put close to a 2 inch (50mm) a spacer under it so the starboard light is high enough to to be seen above the anchor roller
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Gazmn wrote:

J 8)
I at least owe you a case of Monkey Shoulder, John. So when are ya coming by to Collect?? 8)

- Maybe you should meet me in Key Largo... :wink:[/quote

If I took u up on that offer & ur wife found out u had a guy on board wearin a skirt "Kilt" u might end up divorced ! when u got back home ! :D :D :D
Just Sayin That,s All
J :P