New Custom 26X Trailer

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
vkmaynard
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Apex, NC - 2001 26X "Compromise" w/ 2010 Suzuki DF90A

Re: New Custom 26X Trailer

Post by vkmaynard »

Just heard from Triad today.

"Finally! I’ve finished up the pricing file which is attached. The same trailer as yours is going to start at $3,990.00. There have been a ton of steel increases over the past couple of months which really raised the pricing. Everything on the trailer is pretty much steel. Hopefully the markets have calmed down a bit."

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ttisqajrphjrc ... 8.pdf?dl=0

Still a deal considering all the MacGregor mods including a custom 102" single axle for a 26 foot trailer with wheels that don't rub the hull.

Not advertising for Triad. Just trying to get a great trailer source for our Mac family.

Victor
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

Do you find launching and retrieving much better with the roller on the bow bunk??

Does the bow roller mean you dont have to dip the trailer so deep?

Does the bow roller mean no more Mac Bump??
K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers »

I have a Sea Lion trailer, and like the Triad pictured, I had to install that same roller under the bow. It doesn't have anything to do with the Mac Bump, but rather to keep the boat bow from being gouged by the end of the tongue tube.
vkmaynard
Admiral

Post by vkmaynard »

The bow roller does reduce how far you need to dip the tailer since the bow can roll up instead of digging in like K9Kampers wrote.

I noticed key features missing on the pdf: side rails extended up to the hitch for better stregnth, cross bracing, lengthened trailer for better support, axle moved back to reduce sway and mid bunk slightly moved forward to rest swing keel and avoid dropping during transport (26X). 

Victor
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

vkmaynard wrote:The bow roller does reduce how far you need to dip the tailer since the bow can roll up instead of digging in like K9Kampers wrote.

I noticed key features missing on the pdf: side rails extended up to the hitch for better stregnth, cross bracing, lengthened trailer for better support, axle moved back to reduce sway and mid bunk slightly moved forward to rest swing keel and avoid dropping during transport (26X). 

Victor
Awesome thanks, I was thinking of this mod even before you got your trailer made after watching other 25 foots boats hauling out without having to splash the whole trailer, I identified the bow bunk as a major issue to the depth required for the trailer, I would think this could save as much as 3 feet of distance from the water edge as the rear and middle bunk are plenty deep enough to push her off long before the bow bunk gets anywhere near the water line
Danhux
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Danhux »

Great job on the ad/flyer/brochure, I emailed this morning to place an order.
vkmaynard
Admiral

Post by vkmaynard »

First trip on the new trailer last weekend.

Wow! No problems towing, launching in shallow water or single hand retrieving (first time auto center).

No sway, no tire rubbing just no problems anymore.

Fully loaded the boat and towed with confidence. Disk brakes worked great!

Thanks Triad!

Victor
vkmaynard
Admiral

Post by vkmaynard »

Dan finally got his 26M Triangle trailer done. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=27070

Reports better towing and NO sway.

That means they can make trailers for both models now.

Victor
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

I have this on my Mac trailer (an after market add). I like it a lot. 8)
K9Kampers wrote:I have a Sea Lion trailer, and like the Triad pictured, I had to install that same roller under the bow. It doesn't have anything to do with the Mac Bump, but rather to keep the boat bow from being gouged by the end of the tongue tube.
Last edited by dlandersson on Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
sturmgewehr
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by sturmgewehr »

I wonder if anyone has ever had this trailer built for a Mac 26S? I'm very interested in a new trailer based on retirement plans.
maguire44
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by maguire44 »

sturmgewehr wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:32 am I wonder if anyone has ever had this trailer built for a Mac 26S? I'm very interested in a new trailer based on retirement plans.
I also would love to hear about it if anyone had it built for a Mac26S before. Also would love to hear if someone tried it in Europe. I want to try this anyway but it would be great to hear some other experiences. I'm going to be retired by the end of the summer and thinking about moving to Greece. Right now I'm looking for a house for sale in Athens by the shore and as soon as I buy a house I want to start. I'm gonna have plenty of time to work on it.
Flightfollowing
Chief Steward

Post by Flightfollowing »

Has anyone investigated using longitudinal bunks rather than the lateral crossmember bunks that come standard for either the X or M? I am planning on building an aluminum trailer and was considering using the non stock yet more conventional bunk arraignment and wondered if anyone has info?
vkmaynard
Admiral

Post by vkmaynard »

Did anyone else purchase a trailer from Trident Trailers?

Been off this forum for awhile.

Victor
mwylia
Just Enlisted

Post by mwylia »

I requested a quote for a 26X trailer last August. Never heard from anyone after I got the "we are working on your request" email. I followed up with an email in September but never heard from any one. I figured they must have had all the work they needed so I ended up refurbing my old steel trailer with a 5200 lb axle, six lug 15" wheels and disc brakes. Coated the whole trailer with POR-15. I've been pleased with it so far.

Mike
Brookneal, VA
2002 :macx:
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

mwylia wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:00 pmI requested a quote for a 26X trailer last August. Never heard from anyone after I got the "we are working on your request" email. I followed up with an email in September but never heard from any one. I figured they must have had all the work they needed so I ended up refurbing my old steel trailer with a 5200 lb axle, six lug 15" wheels and disc brakes. Coated the whole trailer with POR-15. I've been pleased with it so far.
Well done. The OEM steel :macx: trailer gets very little love on boards like this one, but I've always looked at it like it's a pole trailer for logs - the load is part of the trailer, and in the case of the Macs, has to be loaded correctly to get optimum stiffness and strength. The steel keeps the axle in the right place, and holds the lights, but the boat sitting on its bunks with the bow in the rubber vee block keeps the whole thing solid.

Tom
Be seeing you . . .