Sechelt Inlet?

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.
Tedd
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Sechelt Inlet?

Post by Tedd »

I'm planning a trip on the Sechelt Inlet later this summer. Has anyone on this forum sailed there? There's not a lot on the web about it, presumably because conventional sailboats can only reach it by passing through the Skookumchuck Narrows, and I suspect not a lot of people do that. I found one blog by a local sailor there who was pretty bullish about it, and described several good anchorages. So that's a start. But I'd love some feedback from Mac sailors, if anybody has been there.
yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Re: Sechelt Inlet?

Post by yukonbob »

I’ve spent time in the area and I have family at Saltry Bay just in on Jervis but I have never done the narrows. There are a bunch of good anchorages and harbours in the area, you’ll just have to check the current tables and time it from where ever you anchor and launch from. Saltry, blind bay, Madeira, Garden are all good (can be busy) layover while you way for the tide to flood and catch a ride up Jervis or Agamemnon to Earl’s or Egmont and wait for slack then zip in. Grab a guidebook if the area and see what recommendations there are (I’ve never looked into skookumchuck) might be able to ride the last of the flood in (maybe not). Might be one you wait for though, that thing swallows boats and people every year. YouTube ‘tugboat at skookumchuck’ but don’t let that put you off, if done right you won’t know youre passing through them. I’ve got one book of the area that is ‘best anchorages of the inside passage’; Most listed in the book are south of Bella Bella and cover that area pretty well for really nice places to hit up (some nice white sand beaches just across from Jervis) My go to is the Marine atlas vol 1&2; vol 1 is the south (Seattle to north end of Van island) and is great for routing and navigation info. You’ll still need current tables or may have them on your plotter if equipped. Waiting in or near Egmont on a fairly busy summer weekend you see when people start leaving to cross, think twice if you’re the only person going through and everyone else is staying put. Maybe try to plan and be at an anchorage a few hours before slack then try and chat up some locals at the shops/marinas, chances are someone is heading through or has just come through and provide you with tips and timing.
Tedd
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Tedd »

Yukonbob:

Thanks, great advice! I'll be launching from Sechelt and plan to only get close enough to the narrows for a look. I'll leave passing through it until I have a lot more experience--maybe in another life!
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

I was cruising around some older posts and spotted this one. We haven't cruised in Sechelt yet, but did look Skookumchuck Narrows over from shore. There are a couple of marinas located within walking distance of the start of the narrows. A 2 mile long trail leads to several excellent viewing places. Best viewing is at maximum ebb, and the sight is awesome. Massive river of whitewater, with huge whirlpools, eddies and standing waves. Occasionally, huge driftwood logs sweep on down. Also, it's popular with whitewater kayakers who love getting out into those standing waves. If you go to Pygmyboats website, and look for videos, you can view a great video of a guy in one of Pygmy's homemade wooden kayaks playing in the rapids. I built a Pygmy Osprey triple kayak this fall for my son, by the way. Beautiful boats, very fun project.