Steering alternatives for my 19?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Duquette5
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 19

Steering alternatives for my 19?

Post by Duquette5 »

Ufff ok now that I've got the 40 installed I'm realizing that I have almost no tilt. To get it home I had to remove the rudder arms and cross bar to give me enough tilt. At that, I still scraped the skeg backing into the driveway. These new 40 4 strokes are fat and tall! I did have a 10" setback plate installed to move the motor back and down. As a test I went out yesterday and flipped the rudder arms so they are inboard and I reversed the tiller bracket. This gives me steering but still not much tilt.

My main issue is lack of tilt for the motor. What have those of you with 19's done to get more tilt? I've been looking at steering alternatives but really dont want to loose cockpit space to a pedestal and wheel, hence the flipped steering but I still need a couple more inches for tilt.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome. I'm running out of boating funds and the admiral is running out of patience :o

>M<
andarlite
Just Enlisted

Re: Steering alternatives for my 19?

Post by andarlite »

I find if I turn my motor to one side than I can tilt it all the way up. What motor do you have?

I also heard of one person who removed the rudders and steering links all together and just uses the motor as a rudder when sailing and found that it works satisfactory. I'm also of thinking of trying this.

Henry
Duquette5
Engineer

Post by Duquette5 »

Henry I dont think turning is gonna work:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LTbXB ... _tTrcQjhYX

It's a 2014 Mercury Command Thrust 40 - it's soooo fat. I opted for controls and have designed a linkage to work with the tiller for steering. But I think Im about to revisit this whole design process. Apparently wine and planning dont mix....
andarlite
Just Enlisted

Post by andarlite »

Yep, that is a massive engine you got there.

What about using the EZ Stik? https://www.ezyglide.com/mechanical-steering-systems/. You don't need a pedestal for it.

I have a picture of one on a :mac19: but I couldn't' figure out how to post it.
Duquette5
Engineer

Post by Duquette5 »

EZ Stik looks like it will work. I was out taking some measurements and the admiral looks at it says "why dont you just get some tube and raise everything up 3 inches ?" Hmm she has a point, I do have a spare tiller with a 2" drop so the tiller height would be close to original. Off to do more measuring....
andarlite
Just Enlisted

Post by andarlite »

Any updates? I'm curious as to what you came up with.

Henry
Duquette5
Engineer

Post by Duquette5 »

Well... I ended up mocking up 6" risers for the stern post and the rudder posts and will try it out on the lake this weekend. It's giving me sufficient tilt now and if this works out I'll order the tube and weld it up. It's working in the driveway but if it doesnt work out I'll order the EZ-Stick and go that route.
Duquette5
Engineer

*UPDATE* Re: Steering alternatives for my 19?

Post by Duquette5 »

So my kid brother works at a custom bike/jeep shop. I had them lengthen everything an extra foot to give me clearance over this fat 40 4 stroke.

Here's a link to a photo of the stretched and rewelded steering on Dukling:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LiLCT1 ... sp=sharing
Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL »

The worst part of the Mac 19 was the rudders. It just didn't steer well.
I ordered a pair of the Ida rudders when under different name/owner but they didn't appear to be any better, just a different material, and one was longer than the other, so I didn't even bother to use them.
Then, I noticed that the 19 rudder posts were identical to those on the 26C.
So, I drilled a hole in the top of each rudder post, and dropped a 3/16" line down it, for a rudder hold-down line.
I made new rudders, that go down 25" from the pivot point to the bottom, and fold up right against the transom when raised, out of former C-scow lee boards. They are 6-1/2" W X 1/4" =/- thick.
It steers much better.

The second worst part was that the top was hinged on the forward end.
I put 1" flagpole holders on the four corners of the deck and undersides of the top. I bought aluminum crutches at a second-hand store, and cut four 2-foot sections. Now, the top fits under the boom and I have standing head-room.
Duquette5
Engineer

Post by Duquette5 »

My hatch has been off for two years. I rebuilt it but still need to gel coat it. I like the crutch idea and am leaning towards a pop-top mod.
Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL »

I have some white bed-liner that I'm going to roll on the top of my Mac 19.