Crossing the Atlantic

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.
jimmy alonso
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Crossing the Atlantic

Post by jimmy alonso »

http://www.yacht-transport.com/home.html

Saw one of these loading in St. Thomas. Wonder if the Mac needs to be USCG documented for this also how much $?
Too bad they don't charge by the pound :D
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Hi Jimmy,

I think because the MAC is on a trailer and can be shipped like a car it's probably a lot cheaper to ship it as a car than as a yacht. If you really want to ship your MAC across the ocean I think the shipping companies that ship cars would give you a pretty good price.
Ponaldpe
First Officer

Post by Ponaldpe »

jimmy alonso wrote:http://www.yacht-transport.com/home.html

Saw one of these loading in St. Thomas. Wonder if the Mac needs to be USCG documented for this also how much $?
Too bad they don't charge by the pound :D
That was the type I was talking about , why wouldn't this be the same as sailing your boat under your current country of origin?
sailboatmike
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by sailboatmike »

Ponaldpe wrote: That was the type I was talking about , why wouldn't this be the same as sailing your boat under your current country of origin?
What you expect government rules to be consistent?? Shame on you.
kurz
Admiral

Post by kurz »

Would be interesting how this professional "yacht transport" give the overseas paper.

I would be in doubt that you can do it easily with a containership and get it cheap out of the custom.

So maybe the trick of the big "yacht transport" they do it differently: Do they put your boat in international waters an after this you sail in your destination lake the you would have the trip on your own and do the coustom in the destination port...

??? Who knows?
Stevenhigbee
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Stevenhigbee »

It looks like Spain is an easier place to arrive in than France. Having lived in France, I know first-hand that doing anything that requires permission is a non-starter. A vehicle shipper could probably do it. The price for a whole container seems to be close to $5000. Now I'm toying with the idea of shortening a Chevy S10 so it would fit in the container with the boat. That would be an awesome combination. I wonder how dangerous it would be.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Stevenhigbee wrote:It looks like Spain is an easier place to arrive in than France. Having lived in France, I know first-hand that doing anything that requires permission is a non-starter. A vehicle shipper could probably do it. The price for a whole container seems to be close to $5000. Now I'm toying with the idea of shortening a Chevy S10 so it would fit in the container with the boat. That would be an awesome combination. I wonder how dangerous it would be.
Apparently Rogers kids used to do it all the time.

I would love to ship my Sprinter van to France and drive around - that would be a blast, but I am afraid because I don't speak French and I do not know how to get the van over there.
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Speaking french is easy.

There are a lot of french loan words in the English language thanks to 1066.

Just sprinkle "zeuts alors", and "sacre blue" in your sentances and you'll be fine. :wink:
BOAT wrote:
Stevenhigbee wrote:It looks like Spain is an easier place to arrive in than France. Having lived in France, I know first-hand that doing anything that requires permission is a non-starter. A vehicle shipper could probably do it. The price for a whole container seems to be close to $5000. Now I'm toying with the idea of shortening a Chevy S10 so it would fit in the container with the boat. That would be an awesome combination. I wonder how dangerous it would be.

I would love to ship my Sprinter van to France and drive around - that would be a blast, but I am afraid because I don't speak French and I do not know how to get the van over there.
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

BOAT wrote:

d'accord and le uglie Californian is all you need...
Lucky Drifter
Chief Steward

Post by Lucky Drifter »

HI All We shipped our X to Australia total cost with duties about $10000 AUD.
I have been wondering if as we all have the basic same boat that a good thing to do would be a holiday boat swap and save all that money for air fares etc. Just a thought.
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Vehicles are shipped to/from Europe all the time - the US military does it for every serviceperson. Shipping containers are not needed. 8)
BOAT wrote: