Making rudders

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Divecoz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero

Re: Making rudders

Post by Divecoz »

sailboatmike wrote:
Divecoz wrote: So what can you show us of these new designed rudders ( please no autocad drawings.. ) rudder design changes over a 15 year period go figure.. BTW Roger produced 20 different boats over the entire run.. thats a LOT OF CHANGES TOO :D :D :D
Yeah I can draw them in crayon for you, but I feel that still may be a little above you intellectual abilities :D :D :D :D :D :D
uncalled for personal attack.. AND my point was and you know it full well is... TALK is Cheap.. and autocad drawings mean almost nothing...
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Holly Molly Mike !
The guy is only askin a query, never ever under estimate the strength & equation of a "Powerfart" that,s where some of my best mods came :wink: , boat bows used to sweep back / then straight I , now they sweep forward \ , so go figure where technology is taking us ?
As for crayon,s Please tell me u never talked too ur children or grandkids that way :o . My 6 yr old grandaughter speaks English, Cantonese & French she learned how to use a I-Pad when she was 3yrs old & is a whiz with it now , plays some Guitar & piano music , can hold a very intellectual conversation with me or any other adult for that matter ! , smart as a whip that one is :) but she still,s like to draw with crayons & her little sister joins in & when they ask grandpa too play & draw with them I gladly drop my laptop & proudly play & draw with them :)
So I guess I,ve proudly gone from diapers & crayons & back to Crayons :P So I guess Depends r next ! :D :D :D :D
So yes feel free to send me ur new rudder design on paper & crayons & I,ll see what I can figure out with a nice big "brainfart"

Just Sayin That,s All

Be Nice , Be Happy, So I think we should all sit down by a table with a sheet of paper each & crayons & the best drawing get,s to crack open the Scotch :wink:

J 8)
sailboatmike
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by sailboatmike »

Highland,you know from my 1000 plus posts I don't get upset easily, in fact I would say I'm one of the most cordial people around, however I won't be belittled and run down by someone that has obviously has done little research into a subject.

I love learning and new ideas and rally against the status quo (although they were not a bad rock band back in the glam rock days :D ). However as we all know Roger got it all horribly wrong when it came to designing rudders on the power sailors.

I have been doing some reading into the new scalloped edge rudder shape they are now using on racing boats, these are taken from the shape of the fins on humpback whales (we can learn alot from nature) https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Pho ... 1_51130456

Makes interesting reading.

So basically when it comes down to it, if someone treats me with with respect, treat them the same way, attempt to belittle me with inane comments and I fire back.
Divecoz
Admiral
Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero

Post by Divecoz »

Reading ISN'T building.. That was my point.. Drawing ISN'T Building.. Fiberglass is NOT an easy medium to work in.. Thats was my point.. But You didnt read my post .. I have worked in Fiberglass and sprayed Gel-coat. How Much Have You Done? Roger built very serviceable Boats in fact he designed developed built and sold close to 40,000 Fiberglas boats.. Drawing a scalloped edged Rudder is one thing Building one actually a matched pair.. that will withstand the stress loads required of it will be a major issuee! and Costly! I just helped with a One Off Dive Platform for a much larger sailboat that either the X or the M .. Nothing about it was easy and the fellow I assisted had ability far an beyond mine.. BTW NOT buying the needed materials in BULK ? Really adds to the price.. Roger built we can assume somewhere about 20,000 rudders and we have seen few if any failures under sailing conditions.. These boats dont justify RACING Quality Rudders.. So The Drawing is BY FAR the Easiest part of this project.
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

One of the reason,s that Roger stopped making the :mac19: was it was too costly & labour intensified to make the hard chines on the :mac19: Hull when he could make the :macx: Hull a lot cheaper & sell it for a lot more money ! :wink:

That concept & ideologically has been around for a few yrs now ! , if the thought train is so good why is it not being developed in the airspace & racing & sailboat design industry , I,ll read more about it when I have time could b due to cost of development & actual advantage percentage ?

J
Divecoz
Admiral

Post by Divecoz »

Thank You Highlander.... my sentiments as well and I AM SO TIRED of arm chair engineers who think they can do.... at a professional level what they have NEVER DONE In REAL LIFE!!
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Just for a point of interest, measured my 2013 26m starboard rudder about midway down the submerged section. Results show the foil looks pretty good till you get to the trailing edge... Comparison to symmetrical NACA 0012. In reality, it's pretty darn good, as the big error indications are where the foil is the thinnest and hardest to control (construction control - not steering)...

There may be other factors at play than the lack of purity of the foil section. On my boat, the steering problems are due to the idiot holding the wheel. :?
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

This is nothing. You should see my Monday morning quarterbacking. :P
Divecoz wrote:Thank You Highlander.... my sentiments as well and I AM SO TIRED of arm chair engineers who think they can do.... at a professional level what they have NEVER DONE In REAL LIFE!!
Divecoz
Admiral

Post by Divecoz »

Thank you Jimmyt, that's some very interesting fact gathering and far different than what we were being expected to believe was true..
Jimmyt wrote:Just for a point of interest, measured my 2013 26m starboard rudder about midway down the submerged section. Results show the foil looks pretty good till you get to the trailing edge... Comparison to symmetrical NACA 0012. In reality, it's pretty darn good, as the big error indications are where the foil is the thinnest and hardest to control (construction control - not steering)...

There may be other factors at play than the lack of purity of the foil section. On my boat, the steering problems are due to the idiot holding the wheel. :?
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Full disclosure: I am a retired design engineer (mechanical), with a fair amount of construction and fabrication experience. And, I’m sitting in an armchair. :) Anyway, just offering a datapoint for the discussion. After 33 years working for military clients, I no longer have any feelings...
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Jimmyt wrote:After 33 years working for military clients, I no longer have any feelings...
:D :D :D :D
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

To be honest, it was a great honor to serve our military and their families. They deserve the best we can give them. It wasn’t ever easy, but it was always an honor.
Divecoz
Admiral

Post by Divecoz »

Jimmyt wrote:Full disclosure: I am a retired design engineer (mechanical), with a fair amount of construction and fabrication experience. And, I’m sitting in an armchair. :) Anyway, just offering a datapoint for the discussion. After 33 years working for military clients, I no longer have any feelings...
THUMBS UP!
Wayne nicol
Captain
Location: Queen CHarlotte Islands,B.C.---------------- lightning white 2012 26M "Merrylegs"

Post by Wayne nicol »

another option, is if the rudders are symmetrical, simply make a mold of the good one, and make a new rudder.- it will be identical. :)
1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail »

JImmyT,
Is the above chart thickness of the rudder fore to aft?