Be careful around gas, fire: One Dead, One Injured In Wilme

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Be careful around gas, fire: One Dead, One Injured In Wilme

Post by dlandersson »

One Dead, One Injured In Wilmette Harbor Boat Explosion

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2018/08/11 ... -headlines
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: Be careful around gas, fire: One Dead, One Injured In Wi

Post by NiceAft »

Other than there was a fire on the boat, and that there wasn’t any gasoline being pumped at the time, no other information is available? Was this an inboard/outboard motor? Was the motor being started?

I realize you can’t answer these, but since you peaked our curiosity, update us. As Yul Brenner’s character said in The King and I, “Is a puzzlement :!:

Ray
kurz
Admiral

Post by kurz »

I hardly advice installing as additional fire-extinguisher one in style of aerosol can.
It does not use powder. It uses quind of liquids. So it is very effective. Best of all: You have no mess with powder an hours of cleaning and corroding electrics.
I had to use it - was perfect!
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Kurz,

Your description resembles a Halon extinguisher.

While Halon has not been banned in the U.S., it’s production stopped in 1994. There is no environmentally safe way to get rid of existing Halon. It is an Ozone depleating agent. It is still recommended to be used in airplanes.

If what you are describing is not Halon; well, to quote Roseann Rosannadana, “Never mind”. :D

Ray
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Ray,
This may be what Kurz is talking about... minimal mess compared to dry chem.

https://www.firstalert.com/product/tund ... sol-spray/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IBfo-MoeFpg

There are "clean" gaseous agents available that are appropriate replacements for halon, but he appears to be talking about some form of liquid.

To your original comment, I wholeheartedly agree. This is a typical news story. They tell us something happened, but give us no useful information about the event. Very hard to learn from "news" like this. We typically get the eye-witness account that starts with; "me and Laverne was out back behind the double-wide, skinnin' a possum, when they was dis huge esplosion that made me drop both my beers...". I figure they have a contest pool at the tv station where the most illiterate and outrageous witness interview takes home the cash.

Jim
Nauti Nell
Engineer

Post by Nauti Nell »

Jimmyt wrote:They tell us something happened, but give us no useful information about the event. Very hard to learn from "news" like this. We typically get the eye-witness account that starts with; "me and Laverne was out back behind the double-wide, skinnin' a possum, when they was dis huge esplosion that made me drop both my beers...". I figure they have a contest pool at the tv station where the most illiterate and outrageous witness interview takes home the cash.
:D :D
NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft »

interesting.

I watched this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IBfo-MoeFpg , and the next YouTube video. The Tundra was rejects by the testers because the fire reignited. :D The Kidde Kitchen abc extinguisher was the winner of the test.

Ray
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

I’ve got Kidde extinguishers in my House and on the boat. But, the tundra does a nice job of knocking the fire down with minimal mess. I might add one in the kitchen for Adult use.

It’s important to turn off the heat, power, gas, etc when you get the fire knocked down. Looked like maybe she didn’t do that as far as reignition testing (per your comment regarding the omission of relevant data from the boat fire article). Drowning a fire in dry chem is a pretty sure kill, but might not be what you want if a flaming cocktail spills on the bar.

As an interesting tangent, my house re-ignited approximately 5 hours after the firemen put it out. They warned me to keep a 24 hour watch on it before they left the first time. Reignition is something that you need to be aware of with fire - particularly on a boat. How many of us carry more than one extinguisher?
NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft »

How many of us carry more than one extinguisher?
Good point.

Ray
Nauti Nell
Engineer

Post by Nauti Nell »

I keep two on the boat (galley/cockpit) and two at home (kitchen/shop). Kiddie had a recall recently and I found that two of mine were affected. They replaced both and had return labels in the boxes so the bad ones could be sent back. They are hazmat so you had to call to have them picked up. Go to their website and they explain how to read the labels to see if your's are good or bad.
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Thanks Nauti Nell. I hadn't heard about the recall. Mine are all ok, but glad you clued me in so I could be sure.
NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft »

I am really curious about this accident, this is what I have found so far.

Apparently the engines were started up while the tanks were still being filled.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.chicagot ... y,amp.html

Ray
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Diesel or gas? How old was the boat? Inboards? Engine compartment blowers operational? I would guess gas, inboards based on the violent explosion. Starting engines while fueling is not a good idea. Must have lost his train of thought... I agree - sure would be nice to get the whole story. However, if it was so violent that it blew them both overboard and put shrapnel in them, we may never know what caused it as there may be very little left to figure it out.
NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft »

Give it time Jimmy.

There may yet be more information coming. :?:

Ray
Don T
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: 95 2600 "SS OTTER" - Portland OR - Tohatsu 50 - Hull#64 (May 95)

Post by Don T »

Hello,
I carry 2 fire extinguishers. One back by the engine and one inside the cabin by the hatch.