Who makes a good spinnaker

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
whgoffrn
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Who makes a good spinnaker

Post by whgoffrn »

Just curious of those of u all who use a spinnaker who makes a good affordable one with a sock.... I've noticed when on vacation I always pick the lightest days to go snorkeling in the keys which of course makes the water clarity good and swimming conditions/waves good but I hate the fact that the boat now wont move at all or so slow it renders my boat useless under sail.... while I do love waiting for higher winds to go sailing if I'm going to go trolling offshore for fish or snorkeling at the reefs a few miles out I usually wait till I see 1ft swells on wavefinder which usually means little to no wind so it got me considering a spinnaker but I'm a total rookie and have no idea what I'm doing with a spinnaker and have some learning to do with the added dangers and how to avoid them.... I prob would add a sock to it to help if winds come up but in reality I've not gotten caught in a squall in many years that I didnt purposely go into so I feel I've gotten good at reading weather and being diligent to check my weather apps
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Re: Who makes a good spinnaker

Post by Tomfoolery »

If you're single-handing, a sock is the only way to go, IMO. Even in light air, a big, lightweight spinnaker can be a handful. Being able to dowse it completely with the sock allows you to leave it hoisted on the halyard but not flying, so you can take your sweet time bringing it down through the forward hatch.

My sock is too short. It should be as long as the luff (an asymmetric spinnaker has only one luff), even though some sources recommend it being shorter. I don't agree. But that's me. :|
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Interesting article on a Symmetrical Spinnaker, as opposed to an Asymetrical Spinnaker. Not an answer to your post, but you did state that you are a total rookie, and have no idea what you are doing. :D

Ray

https://www.sailingworld.com/symmetric- ... ow-control
whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn »

I think I meant asymmetrical spinnaker as those are more geared for rookies like myself lol
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

Sounds like you need a Generator from Peak Sails, sort of a hybrid spinnaker or a Genoa on steroids as they describe it.

I presume its just a very light weight Genoa with a bit more belly cut into it.

https://www.peaksailsna.com/the-generator/
whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn »

The only time I get to go to the keys is July so most days there is VERY little wind (except for the daily or 2x daily squalls) I usually time my farthest trips offshore ...15 miles offshore fishing when I see weather forecast for the smallest swells waves which usually then translates to 5kt winds.... so not really sure if the gennaker is enough sail for what I want??....I'd be happy with 3kt speeds
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gennaker. Also known as an asymmetrical spinaker.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinnaker

The spinaker is for sailing“ off” the wind, or down wind.

The Genaker is for sailing down wind, at least that’s what the posted sites say.

Ray
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

You sure?
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Tomfoolery wrote:If you're single-handing, a sock is the only way to go, IMO. Even in light air, a big, lightweight spinnaker can be a handful. Being able to dowse it completely with the sock allows you to leave it hoisted on the halyard but not flying, so you can take your sweet time bringing it down through the forward hatch.

My sock is too short. It should be as long as the luff (an asymmetric spinnaker has only one luff), even though some sources recommend it being shorter. I don't agree. But that's me. :|
I gotta disagree with u Tom here,s the best way to fly a kite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCTPo03BiBI

J :wink:
PS now u just gotta love that design on that drifter
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Jimmyt wrote:You sure?
I,d go with a Drifter on a furler :)
Drifter Sail
A Drifter is a full-draft, lightweight nylon No. 1 genoa that does away with the frustration and aggravation of sailing in light air. Drifters are a hybrid designed specifically for cruising sailors. Its wind range is from 1-15 knots when the apparent wind angle is 30-90 degrees.

J 8)
Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander »

Hamin' X
Site Admin
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Post by Hamin' X »

Drop Judy B a PM, or email. She is a sponsor of this forum and I have not heard of a dissatisfied customer. She knows sails and Macgregors. Her website: Hyde Sails Direct

~Rich
Freedom77
First Officer
Sailboat: Venture 25

Post by Freedom77 »

Do you want symmetrical or asymmetrical, (sometimes referred to as a "genacker"). If you have a large body of water near you, there is probably a sailmaker near.Never bought from Judy B, but as mentioned, a lot of happy folks and you have a go to live person. At one time Hyde was supplier for Venture/Mac factory. Freedom original main and jib are Hyde, no complaints. Also, BWY. North, Hood, etc. have been around since the Spanish Armada, but they sell gently used chutes. Just give them your make/model, measurements and they will see what they have in stock. Steer clear of one offs. Anybody with a sewing machine and a garage can claim to be a sailmaker. :(
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Nice 8)
Highlander wrote:
Tomfoolery wrote:If you're single-handing, a sock is the only way to go, IMO. Even in light air, a big, lightweight spinnaker can be a handful. Being able to dowse it completely with the sock allows you to leave it hoisted on the halyard but not flying, so you can take your sweet time bringing it down through the forward hatch.

I gotta disagree with u Tom here,s the best way to fly a kite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCTPo03BiBI

J :wink:
PS now u just gotta love that design on that drifter
Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup »

This looks to be a standard macgregor assymetrical on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/sail-spinnaker ... oH&vxp=mtr