LED running lights - battery powered

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

LED running lights - battery powered

Post by dlandersson »

Ok, was out for an evening sail today. When it came time to turn on the mast light and running lights, the running light fuse blew. I had a spare, but it got me thinking (which is never my strong point).

Anyone have any suggestions re: portable/easyily placed battery powered LED running lights I can use as a back-up? 8)
Last edited by dlandersson on Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: LED running lights - battery powered

Post by NiceAft »

Are your current running lights LED?
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

No. using the setup the boat came with. 8)
kurz
Admiral

Post by kurz »

I could use my anchor light. It is a white 360degree ligth with on a cable that goes to a 12V plug.

That corresponds with the regulations that says if your running lights break at least install a white light.
Nauti Nell
Engineer

Post by Nauti Nell »

kurz wrote:I could use my anchor light. It is a white 360degree ligth with on a cable that goes to a 12V plug.

That corresponds with the regulations that says if your running lights break at least install a white light.
I have this same set up w 12v plug and light. I hook it to the halyard that is not in use and can haul it up about 20 feet so as to light up the whole deck / boat.
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

dlandersson wrote:No. using the setup the boat came with. 8)
If you switched to LED’s in the cabin, mast light, and running lights, I don’t expect any fuses to blow. There is an incredible reduction on the draw from the battery/batteries. All of the LED’s combined might equal the draw of one of the incandescent bulbs in the cabin.

Ray
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Nice point. We were happy the masthead light was working - and really happy I had spares. :wink:

kurz wrote:I could use my anchor light. It is a white 360degree ligth with on a cable that goes to a 12V plug.

Last edited by dlandersson on Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

R u guy,s aware of a USA Coastguard Warning about LED,s interfering with VHF Radio Signals & poss. navigation equip. there is an article about it in a recent Practical Sailor Issue have not had a chance to read it yet myself , but thought I should make everyone aware as all my lights on board r now LED,s, not sure if that is only when they r turned on ?

J :(
NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft »

Highlander wrote:R u guy,s aware of a USA Coastguard Warning about LED,s interfering with VHF Radio Signals & poss. navigation equip. there is an article about it in a recent Practical Sailor Issue have not had a chance to read it yet myself , but thought I should make everyone aware as all my lights on board r now LED,s, not sure if that is only when they r turned on ?

J :(
John,

Thanks for the heads up. I was not aware of any such reports

I can’t imagine there could possibly be any interference if there isn’t any electrical flow. Without the electricity, the lights are just an inanimate object.

If there is an electrical engineer reading this, please chime in.

Ray
kurz
Admiral

Post by kurz »

What I noticed concerning LED inside the cabin when the are on: I get disturbation when I listen to the normal Radio broadcast (not marine radio), just houshold radio programs some times.
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

FYI

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-some-LED-l ... lbs-do-not
kurz wrote:What I noticed concerning LED inside the cabin when the are on: I get disturbation when I listen to the normal Radio broadcast (not marine radio), just houshold radio programs some times.
Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup »

I think its a great idea. Every time I walk through the sporting goods at walmart I tell my self I should pick up a back up set, they normally have them for about $30.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shoreline-Ma ... t/35259546
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Interesting post. As Nav lights are critical safety gear, having a backup might not be a bad idea at all. Even a single bulb failure could be dangerous. Same for the anchor light.

Post above shows a battery powered portable.

--Russ
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Got these

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1
Seapup wrote:I think its a great idea. Every time I walk through the sporting goods at walmart I tell my self I should pick up a back up set, they normally have them for about $30.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shoreline-Ma ... t/35259546
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Now that would b handy also for my 10ft walkerbay :idea:

J 8)