Its time to Re-power

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
jcasale
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Its time to Re-power

Post by jcasale »

Greetings,

After 10 years of sailing with a Honda 30, the Admiral has finally given me the green light for a new motor. I am still researching the different motor options but was wondering if anyone has looked into or has any thoughts on a transom mounted engine motor bracket similar to the one in the link below

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Single-Outboar ... 3650577048

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

John
Atlantic Beach, Fl
2000 :macx:
kurz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Its time to Re-power

Post by kurz »

Well looks very interesting. But the question is: Why you want it?

I personally would not buy it becouse it makes the boat longer while trailering.

What would be very nice is to have two swim platforms on each side of the OB so that you can easily stand on one/enering the boat whyle mooring backwards...
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

jcasale wrote:Greetings,

After 10 years of sailing with a Honda 30, the Admiral has finally given me the green light for a new motor. I am still researching the different motor options but was wondering if anyone has looked into or has any thoughts on a transom mounted engine motor bracket similar to the one in the link below

Thanks

John
Atlantic Beach, Fl
If you keep your boat in a slip, you would be upping your slip charge with a longer boat.

I also agree with Kurz on his trailering concerns.

Ray
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Love the bracket, and platform. However, check your rudder interaction with the bracket. In the few minutes I considered one, the rudder situation nixed the idea. Might also have to beef up the transom to mount it..
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

You can "re-boat" for less money that it costs to "re-power" an existing boat: https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/77633

I've never regretted putting a 90HP on so far: opens up a whole new range of activities.
nedmiller
First Officer

Post by nedmiller »

We have had the 60hp Mercury BigFoot EFI 4-stroke for years and it is rock solid...no repairs yet, just maintenance.
Our MacX varies from heavy to very heavy and the 60HP does either. I have several props and change to match our purpose. We have used the MacX as MacTrawler about half the time. All fresh water use...lakes and occasional river.
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Jimmyt wrote:Love the bracket, and platform. However, check your rudder interaction with the bracket. In the few minutes I considered one, the rudder situation nixed the idea. Might also have to beef up the transom to mount it..
Jimmy I,m sure u could order one with a smaller platform I,ve often thought about one of these with maybe just a 14" set back

J 8)
Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg; AL 2X Trlr.

Post by Gazmn »

jcasale wrote:Greetings,

Thanks

John
Atlantic Beach, Fl
Okay Imho:
1. Determine repower budget & purpose. Are you looking for power upgrade? Pulling toys & kids? Or wanna go home faster...

2. The :macx: doesn’t “need” more than a reputable, fuel injected 75-90hp. Although I don’t have regrets I have 4 cylinders to feed vs 2 or 3.

3. Proposal of jackplate/extension. - I Love Mine - but I ended up needing to go with power steering. Mod + mod +...= $$$ :?

But my transom is cleaner & covered reclaimed real estate. Great for swimming, snorkeling/diving etc -God I Wished I lived in FL to enjoy this more :( ...

That’s my 10” Al jackplate that you Must: Prime & cover with metal compatible bottom paint. That wood has been long replaced with tred top starboard - but you get the idear :wink:

Image current setup with special blued jackplate
Last edited by Gazmn on Fri May 12, 2023 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail »

I don't think you can buy a poor quality OB. There are very few posts regarding OB mechanical failures posted on this board in proportion to the total number of posts. My take away is Honda, Merc, Tahatsu, Etec, Yamaha, etc. are all solid performers. From all the OB discussions on this board I don't think you can make a poor decision. Many have posted here that you would be better off making your OB decision based on the quality of the dealer vs. the OB.
mtnman711
Just Enlisted

Post by mtnman711 »

Gazmn wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:59 pm
Okay Imho:
1. Determine repower budget & purpose. Are you looking for power upgrade? Pulling toys & kids? Or wanna go home faster...

2. The :macx: doesn’t “need” more than a reputable, fuel injected 75-90hp. Although I don’t have regrets I have 4 cylinders to feed vs 2 or 3.

3. Purpose of jackplate/extension. - I Love Mine - but I ended up needing to go with power steering. Mod + mod +...= $$$ :?

But my transom is cleaner & covered reclaimed real estate. Great for swimming, snorkeling/diving etc -God I Wished I lived in FL to enjoy this more :( ...

That’s my 10” Al jackplate that you Must: Prime & cover with metal compatible bottom paint. That wood has been long replaced with tred top starboard - but you get the idear :wink:

Image current setup with special blued jackplate
Is there a offset "sweet spot" anyone has found for how far back you can bump without having to go to power/hydraulic steering? 6"? 8"? 10" seems to be over the line for sticking with factory setup from what I've been reading. Gazmn, can you re-link pics of your setup? Thanks!

- Devin
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi JCASALE!

We’re you able to go ahead with your repower?
Did you decide to include the extension?
How did it go?

😎😎
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Ditto. Had a 50 HP Merc for 10 years (it's a 97), only maintenance required.

nedmiller wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:40 am We have had the 60hp Mercury BigFoot EFI 4-stroke for years and it is rock solid...no repairs yet, just maintenance.
Our MacX varies from heavy to very heavy and the 60HP does either. I have several props and change to match our purpose. We have used the MacX as MacTrawler about half the time. All fresh water use...lakes and occasional river.
Inquisitor
Captain

Post by Inquisitor »

Odysseus, expert on the Siren's call
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

I’m afraid! Veerrryyyy Afraid,,,,😱😱
600 HP in a single outboard. Wow!😳😳

With something that powerful our Mac 26X would classify as an EXPERIMENTAL Aircraft!🙄🚀🙄
(That or develop a “split personality” 🤪⛵️🤪)

😎😎

and we were thinking it would be risqué to possibly add a new 60 HP to replace the old original 50 HP..........🙄
Inquisitor
Captain

Post by Inquisitor »

OverEasy wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:11 am I’m afraid! Veerrryyyy Afraid,,,,😱😱
600 HP in a single outboard. Wow!😳😳

With something that powerful our Mac 26X would classify as an EXPERIMENTAL Aircraft!🙄🚀🙄
(That or develop a “split personality” 🤪⛵️🤪)

😎😎

and we were thinking it would be risqué to possibly add a new 60 HP to replace the old original 50 HP..........🙄
Not to worry about flying... I think the 1200 pounds on the transom would likely sink a Mac.
Odysseus, expert on the Siren's call