What's everyone doing about curtains?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Newell
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: What's everyone doing about curtains?

Post by Newell »

Tom,

I put up WM (Walmart) mini-blinds on the side windows. Messed around with velcro attachment for awhile, then attached with tiny screws the top header and bottom brackets. I cut out the head wall to allow one blind to do both head and dinette rear window. They aren't warm and fuzzy but very functional. Never have considered the front windows for covering. :macx: :)
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Thanks for all the ideas, guys. I'm leaning toward the shock cord and curtain style, but am not clear on how the shock cords are terminated. I'm not real thrilled with drilling holes in the cabin lining. Perhaps an adhesive termination of some sort would be best.
Tony E
First Officer

Post by Tony E »

I don't have any curtains at all :( Am I supposed to? Is it Mac mandatory? Because the windows are tinted I have never felt a need to also if it get super hot outside I put wet towels on the outside of the windows to cool things down. It's like an instant air conditioner kicking in but don't forget I am way up in God's country and out i the middle of the bush sometimes where there are no people but just lots of fuzzy and furry animals :?
ris
Captain

Post by ris »

Just uploaded some pics of our windows under mods. ris mods check out interior mod. Hope this helps it is so simple and when you take all the side window curtains down they roll up into a small roll that is easy to store in the shoe holder we have on the head door.
Y.B.Normal
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Y.B.Normal »

Tomfoolery wrote:Thanks for all the ideas, guys. I'm leaning toward the shock cord and curtain style, but am not clear on how the shock cords are terminated. I'm not real thrilled with drilling holes in the cabin lining. Perhaps an adhesive termination of some sort would be best.
We use shock cords terminated with suction cup hangers. My wife (the Admiral) likes them, I don't because after time they come off the walls. I may try a little sealant on the suction cups to secure them.
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

Tony E wrote:I don't have any curtains at all :( Am I supposed to? Is it Mac mandatory? Because the windows are tinted I have never felt a need to also if it get super hot outside I put wet towels on the outside of the windows to cool things down. It's like an instant air conditioner kicking in but don't forget I am way up in God's country and out i the middle of the bush sometimes where there are no people but just lots of fuzzy and furry animals :?
Likewise. We have thought about curtains on and off, but mostly just turn down the lighting when changing at night...or other things. :) But, we do most of our cruising on the St. Johns River in Florida where we are not often crowded in with fellow boaters. We always stay at marinas which typically have restrooms, showers, and places to change.
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Starscream wrote:This is about the closest thing I can find to what I have:

https://www.jtsoutdoorfabrics.com/Stayp ... 15393.html

with the springy cord running through the curtain and hooking onto the knob.

I'm going to redo the "curtain rods" in our boat with your shock cord idea. Do you know what you attached them with? These things are kind of spendy when you need a lot of them.

--Russ
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

RussMT wrote:

I'm going to redo the "curtain rods" in our boat with your shock cord idea. Do you know what you attached them with? These things are kind of spendy when you need a lot of them.

--Russ
Not sure...the things were already in the boat when I got them. I think I can get in the back now that we had a couple of days above freezing...I'll go have a look if I can get a good photo.
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

Yup. Accessible.

Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

No idea where those little nobbies came from, or what they are really used for. Nor how the hook got on the shock cord.
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

And since I was going on the boat to get curtain photos, I brought a drill and installed the swing-leg under the table. Works perfectly: had to cut a few inches off the leg with a hacksaw, but the rubber foot was simple to pop out and reinstall.

The four screws in the leg mounting plate are perfectly spaced to catch the reinforced thick part of the table where the original leg screwed in with two screws.

Not sure why, but the leg was $30 when I bought it a couple of months ago, but no longer: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0016N ... UTF8&psc=1
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

THANKS for the photos!!

I'm still not sure what it is. Looks like a pulley wheel or something around a bolt. Which is also interesting. I was wondering how to attach to the fiberglass. Those seem to be bolted through from behind. That would certainly provide a solid mount. Mine now use a hunk of wire and screw eyes. The eyes don't stay in and the wire isn't tight so the curtains sag.

Your shock cords also seem to be terminated with loop hooks screwed into something like a spring. A clever attachment method.
One idea I had was to make shock cord loops with hog rings. Then pull the loops over something. It's the something that has me stuck. Those loops would work, but they are spendy for so many. Another idea I had was to attach small wood spools to the wall and wrap the loop ends of the shock cord around them.

--Russ
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Starscream wrote:And since I was going on the boat to get curtain photos, I brought a drill and installed the swing-leg under the table. Works perfectly: had to cut a few inches off the leg with a hacksaw, but the rubber foot was simple to pop out and reinstall.

The four screws in the leg mounting plate are perfectly spaced to catch the reinforced thick part of the table where the original leg screwed in with two screws.

Not sure why, but the leg was $30 when I bought it a couple of months ago, but no longer: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0016N ... UTF8&psc=1
This is brilliant! I'm stealing this idea also.

--Russ
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Starscream wrote:And since I was going on the boat to get curtain photos, I brought a drill and installed the swing-leg under the table. Works perfectly: had to cut a few inches off the leg with a hacksaw, but the rubber foot was simple to pop out and reinstall.

Is there a bracket to hold the folded leg when the table is lowered to a bunk?

Ray
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

It just folds up and clicks into place without need for a bracket. The hinge has a little spring loaded pushbutton that clicks into place either fully up or fully down. The leg is still available on Amazon.com for $30 USD but is now $126 on Amazon.ca.

Those shock cord holders from JTOutdoor are like 0.50 us each, no?

The photos don't show it but each window curtain is actually two curtains meeting in the middle. So they can be spread open a bit, on the shock cord.