Mac 26X front window leaking

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
March
Captain

Mac 26X front window leaking

Post by March »

Hello!
I have noticed that my front port window/windshield is leaking under heavy rain, and dripping on the forth berth.
Has anyone had this problem?
What is the best way to remove the window? Any warnings? What sealant is best?
Thank you
nedmiller
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Mac 26X front window leaking

Post by nedmiller »

You are in luck. I am currently having the exact problem you’re having with the same window. I remembered that long ago someone posted a detailed window replacement method. I did a search and did not find it at first, but then found that it was eventually move to the mod section so it wouldn’t be lost. I can’t remember who the author was, but certainly do appreciate their sharing it with us.
You can find it here:
http://www.macgregorsailors.com/modt/index.php?view=806
opie
Captain

Post by opie »

AutoZone clear car windshield sealant fixed my leak a couple of years ago. Tape off the repair first. It flows slowly into cracks and does the job. Clean well first with acetone or similar.
nedmiller
First Officer

Post by nedmiller »

Thanks! If my windows weren’t so crazed I would try that! I decided to bite the bullet and replace all the windows.
I ordered the complete set from BWY. After they are delovered, I’ll get a warm day and get the Admiral to help!
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Nedmiller,

The original poster was Kevin, one of your friendly moderators.

Ray
March
Captain

Post by March »

Thanks!
I will first try the Autozone sealer. My windows are also crazed, but that doesn't bother me too much. More light inside.
nedmiller
First Officer

Post by nedmiller »

Yes, I see now that the original forum post is still available (although for some reason I couldn’t find it in a search), and that Kevin was the author!
here: http://macgregorsailors.com/phpBB/viewt ... 4566#74566)
There is a bit of discussion there whether 5200 was the best choice so I hope Kevin will weigh in on how his are holding up. I would be a bit concerned that later I’ll break a window and have a rough time getting everything smooth enough.
Another important point is that waiting for warm weather would be best.
Don T
Admiral
Location: 95 2600 "SS OTTER" - Portland OR - Tohatsu 50 - Hull#64 (May 95)

Post by Don T »

Hello,
The windows on my early 26x are getting very crazed and have absorbed enough moisture to begin looking cloudy (normal problem with polycarbonate). Thinking of replacing them all this year. For the front windows I'm thinking I might use 1/2" thick material and machine a 1/4" thick edge for mounting. The window would be flush inside and out and would handle the errant foot stepping on it much better. Thinking about it anyway, Any thoughts gents?

Don
Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Jimmyt »

Sounds like a good idea. It always sends a chill down my spine when I feel tha flex under foot and realize what I’ve done.
kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore »

nedmiller wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:24 am Yes, I see now that the original forum post is still available (although for some reason I couldn’t find it in a search), and that Kevin was the author!
here: http://macgregorsailors.com/phpBB/viewt ... 4566#74566)
There is a bit of discussion there whether 5200 was the best choice so I hope Kevin will weigh in on how his are holding up. I would be a bit concerned that later I’ll break a window and have a rough time getting everything smooth enough.
Another important point is that waiting for warm weather would be best.

The windows are still very watertight and I’ve had no reason to remove them so I have no idea on the ‘smooth enough‘ bit.