Dodger Design for 26M

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
dthiesmeyer
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Westland, MI / Lake Erie Metropark Marina / "Good Times" - 2010 26M - 60HP Bigfoot

Dodger Design for 26M

Post by dthiesmeyer »

Last year I bought a Sailrite Dodger Kit. I did not make it at the time as I was going to make a full Bimini enclosure to fit my generic Bimini first. I ended up purchasing the BWY 26M Bimini with the back and side panels, which I installed after getting the stern rail seats this past sailing season. I have looked at all the picture that I could find for 26M Dodgers and would like some feedback on your experiences. My plan is to build the Dodger and the connecting panels this coming spring. I have seen the narrow Dodgers that just cover the hatch and those that extend to outside the control line clutches. I have all lines run to the cockpit, so going forward is usually not an issue. I would like to have maximum forward viewing and splash protection while motoring. I could go with the narrow Dodger and use window panes to connect to the side panels or I could go with a wide Dodger that extends to the life lines with full window panels.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Thank you,

Dave
Sea Wind
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Dodger Design for 26M

Post by Sea Wind »

I Have a 26X and would have used the wide dodger from BWY but based on where deck hardware and a nicrovent is located it did not work, so I did my own from the sailrite kit. We have done other sailrite projects including bimini, sacrificial headsail cover, stackpack and pedestal cover, this was the most complex one. It is narrow in the front and wide in the back covering the winches (I use EZ cleats instead). It has worked great for us, it does not completely protect from spray, you will need the connecting panel between bimini and dodger (done this past spring) and then the associated side panels for complete coverage. Watch out for boom clearance. My lines also go to the cockpit but I wanted to make sure that I could easily go forward for anchoring, fenders, flying toys, etc.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22709&start=15
dthiesmeyer
Chief Steward
Location: Westland, MI / Lake Erie Metropark Marina / "Good Times" - 2010 26M - 60HP Bigfoot

Post by dthiesmeyer »

Getting ready to make a move on making my new Dodger. Any current advice on the design?
Y.B.Normal
First Officer

Post by Y.B.Normal »

I just finished installing the BWY stern rail seats, dodger, bimini and enclosure today. The only thing I ran into was I couldn't install the snaps on the forward end of the panels outboard of the dodger as I have the halyard clutches mounted just forward of it. Not a problem as the tab just drops down aft of the cowling and sits there.If I really wanted to, I could remove the snap and mount it reversed.