New to sailing - Need help in the Orlando, FL area

Moderators: Catigale, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore

willn69
Sailboat: Tattoo 26

New to sailing - Need help in the Orlando, FL area

Post by willn69 » Sat May 25, 2019 9:38 am

Hello everyone,

I am new to sailing and just purchased a 2015 Tattoo 26.
I live in Orlando, FL and am looking for anyone in my area that has experience using and rigging this boat or a MacGregor 26M.
I could really use some help and hands on with someone experience so I can learn to sail safely and properly.
I hope to join others with similar boats on some adventures in the future like the keys or even......the Bahamas (one day).
I plan on start practicing on lakes then progressing to the gulf.
Thank you in advance to any assistance given.

wil

kmclemore
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Re: New to sailing - Need help in the Orlando, FL area

Post by kmclemore » Sat May 25, 2019 2:25 pm

I updated your title - hopefully that will bring some help. There are a lot of Macs in your area.

Divecoz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero

Post by Divecoz » Wed May 29, 2019 2:41 pm

I hope you have by now found some help.. I know there are a multitude of X and M owners in SW Fla.. but Orlando is a long drive thru horrible traffic from here.. I would suggest going to local Marina's , there must be a lot of Mac owners in your area .. Maybe leave a note on a few boats asking for help.. I am always amazed at how many Mac Owners on the Face Book Sites are unaware of this site... Network Brother , its time to network..

willn69
Sailboat: Tattoo 26

Post by willn69 » Thu May 30, 2019 5:01 pm

Thanks for making it easier for me.
I'm doing a lot of research about my Tattoo. It would just help to see other's rigging to make everything more functional. Of course, what works for some may not work for others, but its always nice to get ideas.
Plus tips to using the boat. I went sailing for the first time this past weekend. We only used the main sail and we were on a lake.
This weekend same thing, but i'm only going to use the jib and see how well i do with that......

vizwhiz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by vizwhiz » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:25 pm

Herschel...he’s the guy. Look him up and ping him. He has had a Mac for years, and his is slipped on East Toho I believe, or maybe now on Lake Jesup or Lake Monroe in Sanford area. Lots of experience, very knowledgable, and also does sailing lessons from what I remember.

Be Free
Deckhand

Post by Be Free » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:41 am

I'm about 100 miles north of you and have a 26X but I'd be glad to give you some advice.

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:20 pm

Herschel, here. Sorry it took me so long to see this. Admiral and I have had some health issues, but both of us on the mend. Yes, I slip on Lake Monroe in Sanford. My boat is a 1998 26X with a 2013 Yamaha 50 HT with a lot of mods and upgrades. Will be glad to help as I can. Feel free to PM for discussion.