The bitter end

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Interim
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

The bitter end

Post by Interim »

On our first sail of the summer I spotted a couple new lines that I forgot to whip, which is easily fixed.

But I normally also cut them with a hot knife to melt the end, and the boat is a long way from electricity now. I'm thinking about taking one of those butane grill lighters and using a little flame to melt the ends. Has anyone tried this? Does it work, or make a mess?

--john
kmclemore
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Re: The bitter end

Post by kmclemore »

Wrap the end of the rope with one or two turns of electrical tape. Cut the rope with a very sharp knife or razor blade in the middle of the taped section. Use the grill lighter to heat and melt the end of the rope. Whilst still melted, press the end onto a cool piece of flat metal (a hammer's side works well). Job done!
Jeff L
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: The bitter end

Post by Jeff L »

kmclemore wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:46 am Wrap the end of the rope with one or two turns of electrical tape. Cut the rope with a very sharp knife or razor blade in the middle of the taped section. Use the grill lighter to heat and melt the end of the rope. Whilst still melted, press the end onto a cool piece of flat metal (a hammer's side works well). Job done!
That's one of the best ways to do the deed. I carry a butane lighter when working on the boat. Don't smoke anymore but I found a use for the collection of lighters I have, firing up the bitter ends as needed...